2019 transcend toilet clogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 transcend toilet clogging

In all the other RV's that I have owned, I have never had a problem with my toilet backing up and clogging. I use RV toilet paper.

We have had the camper out maybe 4 times. Every time we have had to "unclog" the toilet.

We used a straightened out wire to unclog last time and noticed there is no "open hole" down under the toilet. Where it would open up to the tank, it either 90* degrees into the tank or something is blocking the entrance.

Is there a diagram of the plumbing from toilet to tank?

Does anyone else have this issue?

Hi Vicki, welcome to the forum. I've owned several RVs myself. Some, including my Grand Design were susceptible to this condition, and some fared better.

the usual cause of this condition is because of the design of the tank. If they are very thin from top to bottom, they have a tendency to accumulate solids at the opening and clog. The best way to prevent this is to fill the bowl at least 3/4 full of water before flushing any solids, including RV toilet paper.

I'm at the airport picking up family for the holiday. But when I get home I'll pull the plumbing data for your holding tank to confirm my suspicion.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

VICKI_505 Could you please let us know what model you have?

I concur with Jim above. Plenty of water is needed.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I did a parts lookup for several Transcend models. Unfortunately, they have a few different drawings that are causing me some confusion. With that said, even the largest tanks that come in any trailer can be prone to a build up of solids in the tank if not enough water is used. It forms a teepee of TP.

Jim
        Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-26-2019, 09:09 PM.
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

VICKI_505
          ​​​​​​​Agreed that plenty of water is important. I have found that putting the water in first works better than trying to add enough water per flush. To do this, I have a meter on the black tank flush hose. (available in the lawn watering section at Home Depot or similar) After draining and flushing the black tank, I close the gate valve and put 10 gallons of water into the black tank with the metered flush hose connection. Everything going into the black tank after that, has a body of water already there, to dissolve it.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I also pre-charge my tank (use 5 gallons) and add 1 cup of Dawn dish soap. There are several threads on this issue. Some add calgon water softer too. This seem to help break things up, and reduces smells too. It also helps keep the sensors clean.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

2019 Transcend Model 28MKS -

I do not believe it is a build up in the tank. There seems to be issue where it goes into the tank. Sewage leaves toilet bowl goes may 2 feet down then stops, does not got into tank. When using a wire hanger to "unclog", we do not feel an opening directly to tank. Could the pipe from toilet be going to bottom of tank?

Comment

Originally posted by VICKI_505 View Post
                2019 Transcend Model 28MKS -

I do not believe it is a build up in the tank. There seems to be issue where it goes into the tank. Sewage leaves toilet bowl goes may 2 feet down then stops, does not got into tank. When using a wire hanger to "unclog", we do not feel an opening directly to tank. Could the pipe from toilet be going to bottom of tank?
                I'm far from an expert on plumbing, but from your description it almost reads like the pipe coming from the toilet is not aligned with the tank.

GDRV-Megan -- can you please check with your factory POC on the Transcend line about this issue? The question is this: Does waste flow straight down from toilet to black tank in the 28MKS or is there a bend in the plumbing path? (Read this thread for a complete description and previous advice given to VICKI_505.)

Edit: VICKI_505 -- I'm sure Megan will see this but the Transcend line folks have probably already left for the day. It might be tomorrow before we get an answer.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Vicki. Right now, we are just guessing what could be the cause. If you don't mind spending a little bit of money, you can identify the cause with 100% certainty. I'd recommend that you purchase an endoscope that will allow you to send a lighted probe down the plumbing to see if your pipe is too low, if you have a clog, etc. I'm going to link to one on Amazon with a reasonable price. You can get them for even less money if you don't mind pairing it with your smart phone.

https://smile.amazon.com/Oiiwak-Indu...6006684&sr=8-3

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm far from an expert on plumbing, but from your description it almost reads like the pipe coming from the toilet is not aligned with the tank.

GDRV-Megan -- can you please check with your factory POC on the Transcend line about this issue? The question is this: Does waste flow straight down from toilet to black tank in the 28MKS or is there a bend in the plumbing path? (Read this thread for a complete description and previous advice given to VICKI_505.)

Edit: VICKI_505 -- I'm sure Megan will see this but the Transcend line folks have probably already left for the day. It might be tomorrow before we get an answer.
                    Thanks for the head's up on this. I have sent an email to the Transcend line to get some input. I'll let you know what they come up with.

@VICKI_505

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      Vicki. Right now, we are just guessing what could be the cause. If you don't mind spending a little bit of money, you can identify the cause with 100% certainty. I'd recommend that you purchase an endoscope that will allow you to send a lighted probe down the plumbing to see if your pipe is too low, if you have a clog, etc. I'm going to link to one on Amazon with a reasonable price. You can get them for even less money if you don't mind pairing it with your smart phone.

https://smile.amazon.com/Oiiwak-Indu...6006684&sr=8-3

Jim
                      Darn it Jim
                      There you go again with a tool I need to have in my tool box (other uses too around the farm patch). Between you, Rob, and Howard, Ill be in the poor house but my tool box sure will be full - probably need a second one.

Do you have this unit and how well does it work? Can you see the screen in daylight?

Happy holidays folks
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

In all the other RV's that I have owned, I have never had a problem with my toilet backing up and clogging. I use RV toilet paper.

We have had the camper out maybe 4 times. Every time we have had to "unclog" the toilet.

We used a straightened out wire to unclog last time and noticed there is no "open hole" down under the toilet. Where it would open up to the tank, it either 90* degrees into the tank or something is blocking the entrance.

Is there a diagram of the plumbing from toilet to tank?

Does anyone else have this issue?
                        There were a couple of months where the flange from the toilet into the black tanks were too long. You unit does fall into this time frame that we were having this issue. You will need to contact your dealer so that we can get this taken care of for you. The will need to pull the toilet and flange and cut part of the pipe that enters the tank. Please reference case #50411, which documents your issue and what my plant manager is stating is the repair. Please let me know if you need anything else!

Comment

We fixed the problem ourselves. Yes the flange went to the bottom of the tank, therefore not allowing anything other than liquid enter the tank. Our Dealer is a nightmare to work with, it was easier to fix ourselves. thank you for getting back to me!

Comment

We fixed the problem ourselves. Yes the flange went to the bottom of the tank, therefore not allowing anything other than liquid enter the tank. Our Dealer is a nightmare to work with, it was easier to fix ourselves. thank you for getting back to me!
                            Glad that you got this fixed. Sorry that your dealer was not helpful. If you would have any pictures that shows the problem and the remedy that would be great to share and help others.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the follow up response! It's very helpful for any future owners who may have a similar situation.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X