Fresh water tank fill 2600RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water tank fill 2600RB

I'm watching videos, reading the owner's manual and getting confused. I'm trying to figure out if on my 2600RB there are 1 or 2 ways to fill my fresh water tank.

1) I believe I can fill it by shoving a hose down the capped non-threaded port on the door entrance side of my trailer (is this what is referred to as a gravity fill?)

2) Can I also fill the fresh water tank by connecting a hose to the universal docking station, switching the blue lever to fresh tank fill and then turning on the water source?

If I can do it both ways why would I ever need/want to fill the fresh water tank via method #1? I understand that I need to use that port when I sanitize to get the solution of bleach and water into the tank (at the least the first 5 gallons of it).

Thanks.
    Ken
    2022 2600RB
    2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6l Gas

If you are dry camping or need to fill the fresh tank with out water pressure you would use the gravity fill, I miss having the gravity fill and wish that it was on all models.

When sanitizing your fresh tank pour your sanitizing mixture into your garden hose before attaching to the fresh water port on the docking station, also drain the hose before adding the mixture. After attaching to the docking station turn on the water and the mixture will get thru all of the lines going to the fresh tank. Then after you have the fresh tank filled to where you want it change to dry camping mode and use the onboard pump to circulate the water/mixture all thru the lines in the RV and let sit over night, make sure to bypass the water heater when doing this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The fill at the docking station set to fresh tank fill will work but it takes FOREVER. Maybe I'm impatient but I use the gravity fill where it is very fast so I do not need to stand at the rig too long to wait for the overflow to begin to purge water. And since its fast watch for the first sign of venting out the overflow and shut off the hose. You do not want to pressurize the tank.

The official recommendation is to fill and watch the gauge inside the rig and fill until all the lights are lit but I do not do this since I want a full tank and the gauges are not too accurate. Some use a flow meter at the hose as well.

I also use a shut off valve at the overflow where special care is needed to be sure its on for filling, off for travel and on again for use. Any slip up here on filling and emptying with the valve closed and you risk damaging the tank.

At some point this year I plan to install a secondary vent line that will help to protect the tank should my memory fail.

Jim

Comment

Great, thanks for the education. Is the fastest way to empty the fresh water tank just to open the drain valve underneath the trailer (in relation to the sanitization process)
        Ken
        2022 2600RB
        2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6l Gas

Comment

Yes open the drain line under the rig when your trip is over.

Have fun! You will love that 2600RB.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
            Great, thanks for the education. Is the fastest way to empty the fresh water tank just to open the drain valve underneath the trailer (in relation to the sanitization process)
            Like Jim said, yes you can open the drain valve under the trailer to empty the tank. While it's technically not the only way to drain the tank, it's certainly the fastest and easiest. The other way would be to pump it out using a faucet inside the trailer or the exterior shower / faucet, but seriously that would take waaaaay too long, and using an inside faucet would fill your grey tank, then you need to dump that somewhere

One tip, when you pull the valve......be ready to stand back, or at least have a change of clothes ready

One other tip, on the Fresh Tank Fill / City Water valve, don't move it between modes when there is pressure in the system. Use any faucet, including the outdoor one to relieve the pressure in the system beforehand.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I noted when using the supplied gate drain on the fresh tank, that if you close it mid drain, it continues to suck air for a short period of time. Now I only crack the drain to minimize tank vacuum. Yes it does take longer to drain, but it's better than flexing the tank inward.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                One tip, when you pull the valve......be ready to stand back, or at least have a change of clothes ready
                Many years ago, I figured out that dumping the fresh water tank on to the top of the axle and having the water go in all directions . . . was a really inconvenient idea. So, I plumbed it to the side of the trailer where I can connect it to a drain hose. I even extended the pull cable. I had to use special "PVC to ABS" glue for the connection to the ABS drain extension plumbing, but other than that this was an easy mod. Has been working as designed . . . for years.

Rob

Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice mod on the drain. Fortunately, on the 2600RB, the drain is forward of the axles and is a straight drop to terra firma.
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB
                  2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Originally posted by uwskier View Post
                    Nice mod on the drain. Fortunately, on the 2600RB, the drain is forward of the axles and is a straight drop to terra firma.
                    So is the 315RLTS' drain but I made it work. (Yes, this is yet another idea I "stole" from Rob.) See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rain-extension
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My MY17 2600RB does not use a gate valve but a small ball valve which has a clear path to the ground. It takes significant time to drain but in most cases we leave with low water content after a long trip and when I drain it after the trip, I open the valve and walk away. To Josephs point, there is no risk of tank collapse providing I open the overflow vent valve (an add on).

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        My MY17 2600RB does not use a gate valve but a small ball valve which has a clear path to the ground.
                        No rush, but next time you're at the camper can you snap a pic of this setup, Jim? I was unaware the Imagine line used a different dump configuration.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                          My MY17 2600RB does not use a gate valve but a small ball valve which has a clear path to the ground. It takes significant time to drain but in most cases we leave with low water content after a long trip and when I drain it after the trip, I open the valve and walk away. To Josephs point, there is no risk of tank collapse providing I open the overflow vent valve (an add on).

Jim
                          My 2600RB has a 2" gate valve for the fresh water drain. It empties the tank very quickly!. It seems like GD changed to the 2" valve in later years. Also, in reference to the OP's original question, I prefer to gravity feed the fresh water. It's much quicker, and less susceptible to any potentially disastrous mistakes since the fill is under pressure during the fill from the docking station.
                          Mike and (RIP Karen)
                          2021 2600RB
                          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

No rush, but next time you're at the camper can you snap a pic of this setup, Jim? I was unaware the Imagine line used a different dump configuration.
                            Howard, I'll snap a pic when I'm back there next week. It drains slowly but it has not been an issue for me unless I'm sanitizing.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

So is the 315RLTS' drain but I made it work. (Yes, this is yet another idea I "stole" from Rob.) See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rain-extension
                              LOL Howard . . . there are lots of details and good ideas in the thread you linked, that I had forgotten about. Maybe we have been doing this too long ? I now have a spare gate valve pull cable. I will have to reinstall the pull cable part. My modified choke cable quit working quite a while back and I have just been reaching under to manually open/close the valve. Not a problem with the water routed elsewhere with a drain hose.

Dumping the water directly under the trailer is OK on a concrete or well drained gravel site. But, a real mess on a dirt site.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X