Water heater low point drain leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater low point drain leak

Hello, my water heater has a short threaded pipe at the bottom of the unit that is capped with a large clear plastic hex nut (?!) One of the GD videos I saw indicated this may be the "low point drain". It is dripping at a rate of 1 per 2 seconds. I can't seem to tighten that plastic nut and I fear stripping it. See photo for location at bottom mid-left. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_153554.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	81078 Has anyone dealt with this before? How should I fix it? Replace with brass cap and Teflon tape?
    thank you
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

That would be considered the 'low point drain' of the water heater, not to be confused with the low point drain of the trailer itself. They both help drain the plumbing system, but the low point drain on the heater would only drain the water heater, and the other would help drain the system.

The one time the nylon drain plug was leaking on our system was after I had 'summer-ized' our system for the upcoming season and apparently didn't use enough Teflon tape. I simply removed the plug, wrapped it with fresh tape using more turns, and reinstalled. Was good to go.

You can buy new nylon plugs, and I use a fresh new one each year.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Bigdog3162 -- what GD do you have? (Please fill out your signature line!) https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts

Did you do any maintenance (pull the plug to drain the tank?) prior to it leaking?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Bigdog3162 that is an atwood water heater with an aluminum water tank. Do NOT be tempted to change the plug material. (This is not a new issue) A metal plug will potentially seize in the aluminum threads. I have had several of these over the years, and prefer them to the suburban and its anode rod. I have never needed teflon tape. Try giving it another quarter turn. If it still leaks, replace it. Make sure the water heater is off, and cool to the touch before messing with the plug.

Dave
        Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
        2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
        2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
        2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
        Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Thanks. The RV was new and winterized. I performed no maintenance but I flushed everything and put bypasses back to normal, burped pressure valve to insure water present, so I could test the gas/electric function of the WH. I plan to sanitize this weekend. Would have done it sooner but the gravity feed fresh tank inlet tube on the side is practically horizontal in the initialsegment (?!) So my plastic funnel stuck out sideways (ha) and my hose wouldn't reach for a direct hose feed option. Lessons learned every day! I just ordered one of those tank filler hose attachments with a shutoff lever, only because I didn't have an old pc of hose to use to make my own.

copy on NOT using a metal cap on the drain pipe stem. I did find some replacement plastic caps online that I will try.
          thanks
          2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Bigdog3162

Our gravity fill pipe is fairly horizontal too, so getting the bleach solution for sanitizing can be a treat. What I have been doing lately is using a watering can with a really long and narrow spout. That allows me to mix the bleach solution in the container and then 'easily' pour the water into the gravity fill spout. I've read others have used a small funnel to pour the measured amount of bleach into a fresh water hose, and fill from there.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

You can buy new nylon plugs, and I use a fresh new one each year.
              For whatever reason I can't source the nylon cap in my area. Lots of brass, no nylon. My dealer is even a no go. Can someone post a link to where you were able to find them? Many thanks,

Mike
              Mike & Sonya
              2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Since you have to replace it anyways you should consider placing a valve on it so that it can be drained after each use (preventing stagnant water in your tank)
                All of the parts are available at your local home center.
                I have put on on my last 3 trailers but someone on here posted theirs on a thread and I liked it better.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post

For whatever reason I can't source the nylon cap in my area. Lots of brass, no nylon. My dealer is even a no go. Can someone post a link to where you were able to find them? Many thanks,

Mike
                  I found my last batch of them at Princess Auto, which I believe depending on your locale could be pronounced "Princess Auto" or "Harbour Freight"

Okay, that was lame, but try searching for Camco Water Heater plug. TBH, I think they are just a standard 1/2"NPT fitting and some hardware stores maybe have them, just listed differently.
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

StephenO - Thanks, I tried the big box boxes, but not Princess Auto... I'll try them. The Camco "plugs" are prevalent, but the "caps", as in the OP's photo, seem quite elusive.

familytruckster4 - Valving the drain is a useful mod. Trailer goes to the dealer next month to diagnose/repair the wonky water heater LP flame... after that, I might put a quarter turn ball valve on it. Be nice to have a few spare caps in the toolbox, though.

Mike
                    Mike & Sonya
                    Blue Ox SwayPro
                    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

NoPeeking Here is one on Amazon:
                      https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91857-...s%2C165&sr=8-3
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                        I think he needs an "outy" not an "inny".

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I think he needs an "outy" not an "inny".

Brian
                          Waaaay too funny! Yes, I'm an outy.
                          Mike & Sonya
                          Blue Ox SwayPro
                          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Really? Wow in that picture it looks exactly like my Atwood that took a plug. Can you get the nipple out to use a plug instead of a cap? If not, and if the nipple is plastic (instead of metal) then you should be able to use a metal cap without worry of any galvonic issue since the plastic nipple would separate the metals. That said I never like threading metal onto plastic, its too easy to mess up the plastic threads, and you could be pulling the cap off a few times a year to winterize or flush the water heater. I did find this nylon cap online:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...hoCNTMQAvD_BwE

Edit: If you want to pay a lot more here is the actual Dometic part:

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...hoC4VMQAvD_BwE

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Why not use a CPVC cap? Any plastic cap rated for the heat should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Spears-CPVC-F...009F2FFNG?th=1
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X