No announcement yet.

Water heater low point drain leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ncitro Neil, thanks for the links. I believe Dometic went from plug to cap during the GD 2021 model year.

Jlawles2 Joseph, for simplicity I think I'll go with pvc... the hardware store at the end of my street has in stock. Thanks, all.

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
      ncitro Neil, thanks for the links. I believe Dometic went from plug to cap during the GD 2021 model year.

Jlawles2 Joseph, for simplicity I think I'll go with pvc... the hardware store at the end of my street has in stock. Thanks, all.

Mike
      You cannot use PVC, it will withstand the pressure but not the temperature. Hot water would require nylon or CPVC as Joseph suggested.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yes, CPVC.
        Mike & Sonya
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Mike, I have a 2021 Reflection 295RL. I misplaced my drain "cap" and just bought a 2 pack today from my dealer for about $12. I put it on and seem to have tightened it forever and it still is dripping. I was looking tonight for a solution. Question-did you use Teflon tape with your new CPVC cap? I had the same problem last year when it was just off the lot, but got it to stop just by tightening it. Thanks! David
          David & Debra
          2021 Reflection 295RL150 Series
          2022 Ford F-350, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel, 5th wheel prep, OEM B&W Slider

Comment

Hello all, here is where I ordered new nylon caps.
            92102 Drain Cap Service Kit by Dometic. For more information, see details.
            2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

BlueDuck You may need to use tape or paste. On every one I have done, there was some type of sealant.

I've grown a bit accustomed to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...3633/100201204
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDuck View Post
                Mike, I have a 2021 Reflection 295RL. I misplaced my drain "cap" and just bought a 2 pack today from my dealer for about $12. I put it on and seem to have tightened it forever and it still is dripping. I was looking tonight for a solution. Question-did you use Teflon tape with your new CPVC cap? I had the same problem last year when it was just off the lot, but got it to stop just by tightening it. Thanks! David
                Hi David, I was able to source nylon caps through my local (non-GD) RV dealer... so, now, a few spares in the toolbox. A few wraps of teflon tape is a cheap and easy fix to the drip-drip-drip. I haven't tried paste or stick only because I have an endless supply of teflon tape hoarded in the basement, garage, trailer, etc...

Mike
                Mike & Sonya
                Blue Ox SwayPro
                2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I just put mine back on a few days ago. I used teflon tape...which is a pain in the **** to put on the nipple with the burner in the way. Works well though, I have no leaks.
                  Potable water sealant would be easier. There was some remnants of sealer from the factory.
                  Whoever thought of changing it from a plug to a cap should be fired.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

FWIW . . . I replaced the plastic drain plug (years ago) with a brass valve isolated from the aluminum tank with a plastic fitting. Now, I just open and close the valve.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	85483
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Why not use a CPVC cap? Any plastic cap rated for the heat should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Spears-CPVC-F...009F2FFNG?th=1
                      For what it's worth, I recently did some research calling several companies that manufacture PVC and CPVC fittings. My interest was in replacing the plastic WH check valve with a brass one. I needed to isolate the brass from the aluminum tank, and had planned on using a plastic nipple to accomplish this.

I was told by the manufacturers of the fittings that they did not recommend either PVC or CPVC in hot water applications if *threaded fittings* were involved. Cemented applications were fine.

I still bet CPVC would work but I sure hated to take a chance with it inside the storage compartment. If the threads fail due to the heat, and the fitting is on the outside of the trailer, no big deal.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                        .I needed to isolate the brass from the aluminum tank...
                        I understand this logic, but the brass one I installed has been good for two years (I've chk'd it). Also, the T&P is brass and I have yet to find someone who can explain why that's OK but a brass chk valve is not.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The only thing I can think is that the T&P valve may be aluminum bronze or bronze. This would minimize or eliminate the galvanic corrosion issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_bronze ApplicationsThe brass fittings are for above-the-waterline use only. 1/8" and 1/4"dia. plugs are offered in both brass and bronze. Due to the difference in nobility between brass and bronze, which can result in galvanic corrosion (and a failure of the fitting), we recommend that you not use these alloys together in saltwater environments. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafi...11_332_001_002

I would think if one was using bronze pipe plugs instead of brass it would be OK. I think the T&P are bronze bodies.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Lonestar

The CPVC (I think) threaded adapter in post 24 has been in place in my water heater for about six years . . . no problems so far.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have been using a nickle plated brass valve for about 4 years and have not seen any issues, hopefully it will continue this way.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

CPVC is rated to 200F service.
                                Ted
                                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                                X