Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much water left with "low" light on LED panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much water left with "low" light on LED panel?

Wondering if anyone has any ideas how much water is left when the low indicator is lit in a momentum 21G. We have one day left and the light just went low...
    2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
    2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
    x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

That's a tough one Nick. On my Reflection TT, it usually means I'm down to less than 10 gallons. But these lights/gages are so inaccurate, there could be a lot of variability from one rig to another.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

On my Imagine, I use one of these for filling tanks, both black for flushing/topping up before a dump, and fresh (cleaned in between just in case).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We travel with 10 gallons in the fresh tank and with the water heater full in case of emergency.

With 10 gallons in the fresh tank, my panel still says empty when level. I haven't indexed it against water levels, but this thing is handy for that.

I DID index my black tank though so I know that when it goes "full" I still have about 8 gallons remaining.

If you do this project, make sure you're leveled before undertaking. I've also found that a slight tilt or pitch changes the readings dramatically.
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

If you really want to engineer it You need to find the location of the low sensor probe. Then measure the distance from the probe to the top of the exit pipe. Then using the dimensions of the tank determine the volume below the sensor. From what I remember 144 cubic inches equals 1 gallon of water. (please check my math as it has been a long day)

The other way is using a flow meter on your pressure fill and starting with an empty tank. Fill to when you first see the low sensor show up. Fill slowly while a second person watched the gauge. The gauge reading will tell you what you have in the tank To verify use your pump and the flow meter again to empty the tank. That will tell you the usable water left.

Hope this helps
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

231 cubic inches per gallon. 1 cubic foot (12"X12"X12"= 1728 cubic inches) is about 7.5 gallons of water.

Remember just because there is water in the bottom of the tank does not mean that the pump will not suck air.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by uwskier View Post
            On my Imagine, I use one of these for filling tanks, both black for flushing/topping up before a dump, and fresh (cleaned in between just in case).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We travel with 10 gallons in the fresh tank and with the water heater full in case of emergency.

With 10 gallons in the fresh tank, my panel still says empty when level. I haven't indexed it against water levels, but this thing is handy for that.

I DID index my black tank though so I know that when it goes "full" I still have about 8 gallons remaining.

If you do this project, make sure you're leveled before undertaking. I've also found that a slight tilt or pitch changes the readings dramatically.
            Thanks. Definitely going to do this 👍

Comment

A little off topic but along the line of how much water did I put back in after draining tanks. Searched this a while back, To many variables to rely for 100% accuracy but sure is a good base line. I did test the fresh water side with a five gallon and it was close enough and yes the fresh level indicator still showed empty at 10 gallons.

”Garden hoses are readily available in 25-, 50-, 75- and 100-foot lengths. As the hose gets longer, the flow rate of the hose drops. A 25-foot, 1/2-inch diameter hose attached to a faucet that supplies water at 40 psi has a flow rate of 24 gallons per minute, while a 100-foot hose only has a flow rate of 6 gallons per minute.”

https://www.orcity.org/sites/default...sprinklers.pdf
              Retired Tanker Yanker
              2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
              My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Good Fluid Mechanics advice. And my pump will suck air with about 10 gallons in the tank.

Jim

Comment

Well, never ran out of water after a day and a half of it being on the empty light and taking a shower in that time. Trailer was perfectly level, I pulled the drains before we left and would guess another 10 gallons came out. Pump never sucked air either. 100 gallon tank lasted 6 showers, one baby bath and 6 days. I was at a 3 day XC MTB stage race, so showering was a priority lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X