Toilet odor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet odor

When we flush there is a significant odor from the black water tank.

Hi Papada,

Is this more noticeable when the tank is full or when it is empty?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Empty is worse but even when full the odor is noticeable.

Comment

The black tank is (or at least should be) vented up though the vent stack that exits through the roof of the trailer. There will usually be a rain cap on the vent stack. Sometimes a very full tank will block the tank end of the vent pipe causing odours to vent through the toilet when flushing . . . but your situation seems to be the reverse of this. I would start by inspecting the roof vent. Which Grand Design model do you have? This might help us with where else to look.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Question: do you have the bathroom vent open and/or the fan on when flushing? I'm asking because if the vent is open and the fan is on, the slight negative air pressure in the bathroom will suck the stink up out of the toilet from the tank while the toilet valve is open for flushing. Many rigs also have the vent stack from the black tank too close to the bathroom roof vent and, when the breeze is from the wrong direction (usually from the rear of the trailer), the smell can waft back from the vent stack into the roof vent. Other times, what I call a "deep flush" of the black tank cures the problem. When I do this, I:

1) drain the blank tank with the rinser running,
          2) when at least the top ("Full") level indicator for the blank tank goes dark, I close the black tank drain valve (rinser still running) and go back inside to watch the level indicator,
          3) when the "Full" level indicator starts blinking (the black tack has filled to that level with the clean rinse water), I go back outside and open the black tank drain valve - leaving the rinser running.

When everything but the running rinse water has drained from the black tank, if the draining water is not clear, I "rinse and repeat." Finally, when I'm finished, I close the black tank valve and leave the rinser running for a minute or two. This leaves a layer of clean water in the bottom of the black tank so help keep things suspended.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            The black tank is (or at least should be) vented up though the vent stack that exits through the roof of the trailer. There will usually be a rain cap on the vent stack.

Rob
            Rob, I am having a similar problem with toilet odor... I have a 2500RL, and thought to check the vent pipe. The cap says “Pull to remove.” Do I just grab the rain cap and pull? My black tank flush doesn’t seem to be working either.

any thoughts on that one?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Montecristo View Post

Rob, I am having a similar problem with toilet odor... I have a 2500RL, and thought to check the vent pipe. The cap says “Pull to remove.” Do I just grab the rain cap and pull? My black tank flush doesn’t seem to be working either.

any thoughts on that one?

Greg
              I don't know about removing the vent cap - never tried. If it says, "Pull to remove," give it a gentle try.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

If the plumbing roof vent looks like this pict, there's a screw in the small hole that holds the vent on.
                Take out the screw and pull up to remove. Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing Roof Vent.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	20435
                Gene and Kim
                2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Thanks Gene. I’ll try that. TankTechRX is what we are using but odor won’t go away. I’ll try to check it tomorrow.

Comment

Papada Second Chance Cate&Rob Montecristo gbkims
                    This may sound like a dumb question (I am good at them). Do you use any chemicals or soap in the black tank? I have found that pre-charging with 5 gallons of water and 1 cup Dawn does a very good job on the odor and tank build up. Some folks say adding a Tied pod helps too. The other Rob is correct to on the fan vent sucking odors out of the tank if there is not another air source like door open some.

Hope this helps
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                      Papada Second Chance Cate&Rob Montecristo gbkims
                      This may sound like a dumb question (I am good at them). Do you use any chemicals or soap in the black tank? I have found that pre-charging with 5 gallons of water and 1 cup Dawn does a very good job on the odor and tank build up. Some folks say adding a Tied pod helps too. The other Rob is correct to on the fan vent sucking odors out of the tank if there is not another air source like door open some.

Hope this helps
                      We don't regularly use any chemicals. I do let the black tank flusher fill with fresh water for a few minutes after every dump. Once every month or two I'll put some dishwasing liquid down the toilet before we hit the road. I'm not a fan of the Tide pod type of thing because the pod capsule itself may not dissolve fully without the action of a washing machine - don't want that to get caught on a valve. Dish detergent is better at grease and fat than laundry detergent, anyway.

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Would one of these help - know nothing about them
                        https://www.campingworld.com/cyclone...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is another
                        https://www.rvautoparts.com/VUJB-Cha...CABEgJ_TPD_BwE
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Do you have the bathroom fan running? If it's a MaxxFan, is it on hi? You'll suck the odors right of the tank whenever you flush if those things are running.
                          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                          2020 Momentum 351M
                          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

No to the question about the fan. My wife thinks she under added the Tank Tex. We also got caught in the COVID freeze, so didn’t get to use the camper for 6 weeks, so stuff kind of sat. With the right amount I think it should have been okay. Unfortunately, my black tank flush isn’t working, so pretty hard to rinse. We’ve added plenty of chemicals, and am soon to be full. Hope the liquid with the chemicals eats whatever’s blocking the rinser. Otherwise a kink? A stuck vacuum valve? Not sure. But not stopping us from enjoying the Little Tennessee River and Smoky Mountains!

Comment

Originally posted by Papada View Post
                              When we flush there is a significant odor from the black water tank.
                              Maybe you can try the Geo method. It solved our odor issues.
                              https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
                              2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                              2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              Andersen WDH
                              Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
                              2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
                              2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Working...
                              X