Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda
    Hi Keith,

To answer your earlier question . . . we put nothing (but human waste) into the black tank. Paper goes in a garbage can beside the toilet. I know that this will sound strange to many, but to boaters or travellers to parts of Europe, this is "normal". I do put about 10 gallons of water back into the tank after dumping. No complicated additive packages, no odours, no problems. I do wonder if the additive concoctions that some come up with, kill the natural bacteria that work within any sewage treatment system. Lots of water is all you need.

Our vent stack is directly behind the bathroom hatch (Grand Design . . . what were you thinking ???) but we have upgraded to a multi speed exhaust fan that is always running on low exhaust mode if the hatch is open, so this solves that problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Yoda
      Hi Keith,

To answer your earlier question . . . we put nothing (but human waste) into the black tank. Paper goes in a garbage can beside the toilet. I know that this will sound strange to many, but to boaters or travellers to parts of Europe, this is "normal". I do put about 10 gallons of water back into the tank after dumping. No complicated additive packages, no odours, no problems. I do wonder if the additive concoctions that some come up with, kill the natural bacteria that work within any sewage treatment system. Lots of water is all you need.

Our vent stack is directly behind the bathroom hatch (Grand Design . . . what were you thinking ???) but we have upgraded to a multi speed exhaust fan that is always running on low exhaust mode if the hatch is open, so this solves that problem.

Rob
      That's what is nice about Dawn - it contains nothing harmful unlike the blue, orange, or green stuff. Same for the Tied pod. Dawn and Tied are septic safe so are good with the bugs.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Update on our toilet odor. We filled the black tank as one normally does, and added tank Tex. Filled it up and took it to dump. Dumped completely, then tried the tank rinse. Eventually water flowed. I believe getting the water back up to the nozzle may have loosened the crud.

We filled and dumped twice more, and water ran clear. Put a little water in (5 gal), some tank Tex, and no odor. Oh, and the screw goes into the rain cap after it comes off the first time...

Thank you for your assistance!

Greg

Comment

I also have foul oder after flushing and the smell seems to come from my air conditioning vent in the bathroom.

Comment

Also agree with Rob on the fan strategy.

Since we dry camp in the early spring and fall we cannot afford to pre-fill the tank with excess water. I will pre-fill with about 2-3 gallons and use a heavy dose of Aqua-Kem. We have tried citrus and other treatments which did not compare to the Aqua-Kem in breaking down waste and standard toilet tissue which we also use. Never had an issue.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/thet...deodorant.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Kem-RV-Holding-Tank-Treatment-Deodorant-Waste-Digester-Detergent-6x8-oz-pack-Thetford-03106/103591130

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X