Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camper was not winterized... What else to check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camper was not winterized... What else to check?

Greetings all. I have a 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. I was working out of state as a travel nurse when we bought our house. I moved our camper from the RV park we were staying at to our house and had to fly back. It was not winterized and it froze.

So far, I have replaced the water heater tank, the outdoor shower with the quick connect, the faucet in the passthrough storage, the mixer valve in the kitchen faucet, and I will replace the strainer for water pump.

Is there anything else I should check before I hook it back up to water? I'm so glad the water was off and it didn't cause any water damage.

trickyrabbit
    The black tank flush valve is probably broken. You'll know if there's a waterfall sound from behind the shower when you try and flush the black tank. (I suggest changing the valve--it's not too hard.)

Most likely the valve is behind the shower faucet knob housing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Black Tank Flush Valve.JPG Views:	0 Size:	222.9 KB ID:	82572

Check the filter bowl on the water pump, too. It unscrews from the pump housing. Inspect closely for cracks or other signs of damage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pump filter.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	82573

Unfortunately every plastic connection is vulnerable in the water system. Without the special tester (to do an air pressure check) or hiring a mobile tech to do the test, one approach could be to add water to the fresh water tank. Turn on the pump and try to get all the air out of the system. (The low point drains could be an issue if they have air in them.) The point is once all the air is out, let the pump cycle until it stops (all faucets closed in the camper). Monitor the pump and listen to see if it cycles. If it does--there's a problem somewhere (but it won't send too much water into the camper.)

My fellow moderator @Cate&Rob would undoubtedly also recommend installing a pressure gauge somewhere after the cold water inlet valve. (Can be anywhere in the camper--even in the cold water line under the sink.) That's another way to check for leaks--the pressure should stay constant once the system is purged of air and the pump stops cycling.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Sorry to hear about the system freezing trickyrabbit , certainty not ideal and hopefully you're able to get back in business soon. I haven't confirmed this for myself, but I assume there will be a hot and cold 'trunk' line running from the front to back of the trailer in the under belly. You may need to drop the coroplast to see if any of those pipes or fittings are leaking too. Like howson said though, if you let the pump prime the system and shut-off, it shouldn't run any more if you have no leaks.

Just one small correction for what howson has said, the black tank rinse valve is under the bathroom sink in the Imagine 2400BH
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I would get something like this Amazon.com: Minimprover Lead Free Brass 12" Winterize Sprinkler System RV Motorhome Boat Camper and Travel Trailer: Air Compressor Quick-Connect Plug To 3/4" Garden Hose Faucet Blow Out Adapter Fitting with Valve : Automotive and add a pressure gauge if you can. Pump in about 30 psi and see if it holds, you will be able to hear leaks and find them, bypass the water heater when doing this and make sure all faucets are off. If the air pressure holds and you are sure of it then you could try water but that would be my last resort , you could have numerous water leaks and I would rather have air blowing than water saturating everyhting.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Compressed air sounds like an excellent idea. Much better than finding leaks with water. I will work on finding and replacing all the broken parts before hooking it up to water. Thanks again.

Comment

Just a quick update. I got the strainer for the water pump and the mixer valve for the kitchen faucet replaced. I got a pressure tester built to go in the city water port and found that the kitchen faucet itself is irreparably damaged, so I picked one up and the necessary hardware from the hardware store. I also found the front of the water pump housing was damaged and the toilet flush valve leaking (not sure if that is related to the freezing or not). So I have those parts on order. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Comment

Originally posted by trickyrabbit View Post
              Just a quick update. I got the strainer for the water pump and the mixer valve for the kitchen faucet replaced. I got a pressure tester built to go in the city water port and found that the kitchen faucet itself is irreparably damaged, so I picked one up and the necessary hardware from the hardware store. I also found the front of the water pump housing was damaged and the toilet flush valve leaking (not sure if that is related to the freezing or not). So I have those parts on order. Thanks again for everyone's help.
              Other things to check are the drain P-traps and your black and gray valves and associated piping. Water stands in these locations. Also check you low point drain fittings as they are probably cracked.

Hope this helps
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson

Never thought about it before, but why wouldn't a water (or air) pressure gauge temporarily attached to the threaded end of a low point drain work? Less trouble than cutting into a water line.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                  ... wouldn't a water (or air) pressure gauge temporarily attached to the threaded end of a low point drain work?
                  Cate&Rob is probably the best one to answer your question.

I'm going to guess (based on what Rob's written in earlier posts) that attaching a gauge to a cold water low point drain (for testing and a short duration, I assume, since it would disappear after one tow!) would work fine.

I do wonder, though, if there'd be a difference in the reading between the Nautilus and the cold water inlet to the water heater (if that low point drain was used and the water heater was on) versus a cold water low point drain that services the rest of the camper. I know there are different low point drains in my 315RLTS for both (several sets of cold and hot low point drains).

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lling-the-plug for a drawing that shows a conceptual drawing of the low point drains in my RV associated with the water heater.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Pressure gauges at different locations might read differently when water is flowing through the system, but with all faucets closed, the static water pressure will be the same at any location. If there is a check valve on the outlet of the water heater, this could cause the hot system to remain at a higher pressure even though a cold faucet is opened. Any cold water location should give you an accurate system static pressure reading . . . and will drop if there is a leak with city water and pump turned off.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Another random question. The toilet is a Thetford Aqua Magic Type 2. Is there a secret to get the foot pedal off? The videos I watched said to grab and pull. I pulled rather forcefully, and it didn't come off. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Cate&Rob is probably the best one to answer your question.

I'm going to guess (based on what Rob's written in earlier posts) that attaching a gauge to a cold water low point drain (for testing and a short duration, I assume, since it would disappear after one tow!) would work fine.

I do wonder, though, if there'd be a difference in the reading between the Nautilus and the cold water inlet to the water heater (if that low point drain was used and the water heater was on) versus a cold water low point drain that services the rest of the camper. I know there are different low point drains in my 315RLTS for both (several sets of cold and hot low point drains).

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lling-the-plug for a drawing that shows a conceptual drawing of the low point drains in my RV associated with the water heater.
                        I'm talking about testing by simply putting a gauge on a low point drain, then pressure up the system by applying water to the city water inlet, and when all lines are full turning off the water supply. Water heater not turned on, and not towing. Would the pressure remain on the lines if no leak? I've never tried it.

2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lonestar

Pressure should remain unchanged (for many hours) in the test that you describe.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

trickyrabbit

Hit the pedal arm firmly with the palm of your left hand (left to right). This takes more force than you would expect. Pay particular attention to which lever is in which cavity of the arm.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              Lonestar

Pressure should remain unchanged (for many hours) in the test that you describe.

Rob
                              Rob, I thought so but not sure. I've fortunately never had an issue that required checking continuous pressure, but if a person did not want to cut into a plumbing supply line it might be a quick and easy solution. I think I'll get a fitting for my water pressure meter and carry it with me in case I have an issue on the road.

Jerry
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X