Hygiene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hygiene

I'm sure you've all seen people handle their sewer lines barehanded. That's bad enough. But keep in mind, they also handle the freshwater faucet afterward that we all hook up to. For that reason, a bleach wipe may be in order.
    Nitrile, throw away gloves are the best, vs reusing cloth gloves. IMHO
    This is our first GDRV, but not our first rig.

My pet peeve. Potable water should not be anywhere near the dumping station.

Jim

Comment

I usually handle the sewer hose one handed....save the other for my sandwich....
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I've seen people covered in feces at the dumping station while waiting in line. Comical and troubling at the same time.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          I've seen people covered in feces at the dumping station while waiting in line. Comical and troubling at the same time.

Jim
          Marc from Keep Your Daydream had such an occasion when they did the rental thing. He was not happy. Go to ~17:38 in the video to see what happened. Jim Guest will appreciate the commentary at the 19 min mark.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Howard,

I agree. In most all cases we haul our own water. If we need to add water, I will fill jugs at the wells away from the dumping station and use a folding truck to haul them back to the rig.

https://www.harborfreight.com/150-lb...uck-58298.html

Jim
            Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              I usually handle the sewer hose one handed....save the other for my sandwich....
              There's always some guy who has to be funny. This is a serious topic. Besides, theres a beer to be held too.

Comment

Here is an analogy to think about.

Would anyone drink from the sink in a public restroom?

Jim

Comment

Guest Jim and I are on the same page with 'potable' water being at the dump station, no thank you. To be honest, even the fresh water spigot at a full service campsite (power, water sewer) makes me cringe a little. However, we spray it with bleach, let it sit, and then rinse with known clean water.

The other peeve I have at the dump station is when someone in the other lane is being a little too energetic with rinsing the ground after they are done, and you are standing in the splash zone. I appreciate them rinsing around the port, but I really don't need to be wearing it, thanks. Please, turn the pressure down a bit and maintain some situational awareness

I do have one personal story that is similar to the video posted by howson....Around here, the cover to the dump port is foot operated, where you step on a small pedal that lifts this rather heavy cover. Anyways, one time I had my foot down to keep the cover open and I am bending down to position the sewer hose into the port, when unfortunately my foot slipped and the cover came slamming down. Normally this would be fine, but the ground around the port had standing water in it, which ultimately splashed my face. Lots of baby wipes and hand sanitizer later, I was in better shape.

2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Like everyone else, dealing with dumping has its challenges. By watching others, I have learned to always figure a better way to do things in a manner to make it better for the next guys. Me personally I carry disposable rubber glove and Sanitary wipes. Gloves before the duty! and wipes to wipe off water faucet and then hands after disposal of gloves.
                    2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Where is the health department when you need them? LOL

For dumping I have disposable gloves and wipes as well. And when you need to push up on your glasses? Its best to use the back of your hand.

Jim

Comment

This makes me think of The Big Bang Theory's germaphobe Sheldon. I could only imagine how he would act at one of the public dumps.

Side note: How many people have been trained to remove their gloves the right way??? If so, can you type out the directions without pictures? I almost bet not as it is a very visual thing to explain.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I pinch the sleeve of one glove and pull it inside out then use that glove to pull off the other from the sleeve.

Follow up with alcohol. Oh and some for my hands too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbnHIp5vesQ

Jim

Comment

Lovin' this thread... the funniest and most cringe worthy (guy in the sandals) moments are formulated at the dump station. As with you(s), our dump kit includes nitrile disposable gloves, alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer. My wife "used" to help me with the dumping task by operating the volume control on the rinse hose (the one with the wonky 1/4 turn ball valve and that weird spring coil thing affixed to the hose for some reason)... we were so synchronized in the task I needn't even nod when a gentle shot of rinse water was needed when I manipulated hose, valves, foot pedal (as above)... one day my rinse operator (must have been distracted) opened the rinse valve to full as I was positioning the hose over the slinky giving me a face full of backsplash. When I came up for air, I swear she was laughing... and she's still laughing! Now she waits in the truck while I dump solo. Teamwork... meh!

Mike
                            Mike & Sonya
                            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                            Blue Ox SwayPro
                            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Guest Jim, the only difference I was taught was to take the clean exposed hand's index finger and slip it under the sleeve of the dirty glove and invert that way. No risk of shaking the contamination from the partially removed glove on to the body.

This was taught in nuclear dress and undress class. Oh what fun, and how to enter and exit the undress area stepping in and out of the "clean zone".
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X