Short storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short storage

Should I empty the fresh water tank when our camper will not be used for 3-5 weeks during warm weather?

Originally posted by arjerram View Post
    Should I empty the fresh water tank when our camper will not be used for 3-5 weeks during warm weather?
    Forget what GD you own...please take a moment and fill out your signature line as requested in the Welcome Letter? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

From the '21 version of the Solitude's owner's manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	drain.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	83950
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would recommend draining if storing for more than a week, I usually follow the drain when done as noted above.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I would recommend draining if storing for more than a week, I usually follow the drain when done as noted above.

Brian
        Thank you. I'll do it today

Comment

I do not drain my fresh system. It is a great emergency water supply if the municiple water is shut off to the house. According to some books I've read about survival situations, water that is not exposed to sunlight will typically remain healthy for six months. If you don't use it in six months, drain, sanitize, and refill the system.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            water that is not exposed to sunlight will typically remain healthy for six months.

Jim
            I can't say I'd drink water from the fresh tank after 6 months just because it wasn't exposed to sunlight. There are many potential routes of contamination in the fresh water system... vent lines, unsealed (ie.gravity) fill fittings, unclean pump & faucet strainers... heck having dirty hands when filling the tank. The water system can be an awesome incubator if not properly cared for. Follow your Owner's Manual as Howard referenced above.

Mike
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I leave my water in the tank all the time. When it getrs low i fill it back up. The tank is never exposed to the sun

Comment

During hunting season, water stays in tank for months. I just top it off every few trips and add Camco water freshener. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

I always start the season by sanitizing the fresh water tank and system. I always use a filter when filling my fresh tank and don’t use that water to drink. I just top it off during the camping season and if it starts to smell i will drain and sanitize. I have been curious to see what everyone’s own routine looks like. If I used the water for drinking I would most likely drain the system every time like the manual states.
                  2022 Transcend XPLOR 265BH
                  2013 F-150 Raptor
                  1998 Ram 2500

Comment

Working...
                  X