Black tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tank?

Wife and I are having a talk if I dump the black and put back 15 gallons of water and a treatment in she said if I go to the bathroom use the toilet it will cause a poo pile in the tank and I leave the water in the tank and drive home.
    Richard and Kim Mclaughlin
    2012 F250 6.2 gas
    GD 2020 29rs
    Charlotte NC

Not with plenty of water. Inadequate liquid causes the pile.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

John is spot on. with 15 gallons of water in the tank, you shouldn't get a poo pyramid.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Just remember black tank and water are you best friend. As mentioned by both Jim and John, excess water is not the issue. Lack of water is a different story.

Remember the old saying "the solution to pollution (poop in this case) is dilution".

Now you will want to drain the tank at some point before the water in the tank evaporates, or at least monitor it and keep adding water as necessary to avoid letting the solution evaporate off leaving behind the solids.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by 760volvo View Post
          Wife and I are having a talk if I dump the black and put back 15 gallons of water and a treatment in she said if I go to the bathroom use the toilet it will cause a poo pile in the tank and I leave the water in the tank and drive home.
          As stated above with 15 gallons there should be no poo pile. I suggest adding 1 cup Dawn to that 15 gallons of water as it will help slick the tank up and clean the tank when driving. I also add a Tied laundry pod occasionally as I believe it helps break stuff down too. No other chemicals are needed.

BTW - Dawn is the only dish soap that really works.

Safe travels
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I also put 5 or 10 gallons in after dumping and let it slosh around while traveling, and this is the starter for the next trip out.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for all of the answers
              Richard and Kim Mclaughlin
              2012 F250 6.2 gas
              GD 2020 29rs
              Charlotte NC

Comment

I may add 2-3 gallons to the black tank in preparation with plenty of Aqua-Kem. Some add much more water and use no chemicals but we cannot do this since we dry camp many times and need the full capacity of the black tank. We have tried several brands as well as the bio citrus versions but have come back to Aqua-Kem every time which effectively breaks down waste.

Jim

Comment

Carrying water in the black tank is not necessarily counter to the volume required for dry camping. If you have water already in the tank, each flush needs only a minimal amount of additional water to rinse the bowl. With water kept in the tank, no chemicals are required. The system will be working very much like a sticks-and-bricks septic system.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

A 43 gallon black tank initially filled with 15 gallons leaves 28 gallons. Starting with 3 gallons leaves 40 where we flush no differently and can easily go for a full week without dumping..

Now throw in our 8 grandkids into the usage and nothing will last.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X