Dodged a bullet today - Gate Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodged a bullet today - Gate Valves

Last week 2 days from the end of an 8-day camping trip I was dumping the tanks into a 21-gallon tote just when I thought it was full enough and pushed in on the black tank handle it bent down at about a 70-degree angle. Of course, I couldn't close the valve. I got lucky and tank emptied before tote over filled. So, get a Valterra valve and finish camping.
    Today I decided to see what I needed to fix the problem. Spend time dropping part of color Plas to try and get to black tank valve. Not enough room to reach, without removing even more color, Plas. So, instead I spend 30 minutes cleaning and straighten shaft on handle end. Spray with some lube, slowly start moving shaft, more lube more sanding of the shaft and it finally closes. So, some more lube and working and I now have a working black tank dump valve. Seems road curd had worked into the shaft and jammed it and I bent it pushing too hard. So, to keep it cleaner I installed a plastic box on the valves with a snap on lid. Click image for larger version  Name:	20220529_145740.jpg Views:	145 Size:	140.9 KB ID:	86427 I tried to find the name of the member that did this same thing and posted it with pictures, but I had no luck find the thread, so if anyone reading this knows him, please tell him thank you. This will save me lots of trouble in the future. Click image for larger version  Name:	20220529_165248.jpg Views:	126 Size:	143.2 KB ID:	86428 This is a shot with lid removed.
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-31-2022, 08:18 AM.
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD SRW Soon to be retired

What type of lube should be used on these?
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
      I used blasters, but that is what I had. I think any good penetrateing lube will work. Just remember lube most likely will not go very far up cable. But in my case it was the shaft that needed lube.

Comment

Thanks. I don't believe I have cables on the Transcend. The valve is right there where I can see it so just a shaft. I'm wondering if the graphite spray I have would work? Solvent based/oily would attract debris and dirt I would think.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Thanks. I don't believe I have cables on the Transcend. The valve is right there where I can see it so just a shaft. I'm wondering if the graphite spray I have would work? Solvent based/oily would attract debris and dirt I would think.
          Possibly not used a lot of graphite spray.

Comment

I hope that the SOLIDS label on the box doesn't come true.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I use dry silicone spray and attempt to lube them every time I dump.
              Mike and (RIP Karen)
              2021 2600RB
              2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

My post on this subject can be found here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ating-smoothly
                Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

There are several threads on waste tank gate valves that can be found by using the search tool in the upper right corner. The most significant binding location cannot be reached by lubricating either the cable or the liquid in the tank. See this thread (particularly post 9) for more details. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-lines-315rlts

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                    My post on this subject can be found here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ating-smoothly
                    Thank you Jimmer for response. Now I can say thank you for your thread.

Comment

Food grade silicone works to lube the valves and levers on my Imagine. I do not have cables. The reason food grade silicone is used is due to not knowing how a petroleum based product would interact with the rubber gaskets.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Food-Grad...00192D0TQ?th=1

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X