Water Sanitization tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Sanitization tip

So I'm sanitizing my water system for my first trip of the year later this week.

And like a clutz, I spill the bleach on my hand when I'm dosing it out. Now I can't smell the bleach in the water when I run it, because EVERYTHING smells like bleach right now.

How do I know if I've run it enough to ensure that bleach is coming out of the entire system?

Pool test strips!
    https://amzn.to/3Oi32fN

I have a bunch due to having an inflatable spa.

Normally, the brand I have goes from yellow to green. Yellow means no chlorine, green means increasing levels of chlorine.

Or, in my case, so far past green, we hit brown! Least I know there is chlorine there now! (I tested previously and no chlorine was measured on the fill spigot on my house.)

These strips are designed to measure between 0 and 10 PPM. Standard sanitization levels are 75ppm, hence the brown color.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-06-07 18_47_24-Clipboard.png
Views:	323
Size:	832.5 KB
ID:	87160
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

That's a good tip!
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Pool test strips will do it. After proper dosing of the fresh tank per the owner's manual, I've never had to run a faucet more than 20-30 seconds to smell chlorine and know appropriate Cl concentration was where needed. If still concerned, dose per the owner's manual and add some food colouring to your fresh tank as a visual cue.

Mike
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        So I'm sanitizing my water system for my first trip of the year later this week.

And like a clutz, I spill the bleach on my hand when I'm dosing it out. Now I can't smell the bleach in the water when I run it, because EVERYTHING smells like bleach right now.

How do I know if I've run it enough to ensure that bleach is coming out of the entire system?

Pool test strips!

Normally, the brand I have goes from yellow to green. Yellow means no chlorine, green means increasing levels of chlorine.

Or, in my case, so far past green, we hit brown! Least I know there is chlorine there now! (I tested previously and no chlorine was measured on the fill spigot on my house.)

These strips are designed to measure between 0 and 10 PPM. Standard sanitization levels are 75ppm, hence the brown color.

Mike
        I can sure understand the bleach on the hands. One trick I use is a funnel and my RV water hose. I pre-measure the bleach I need for my tank and poor it into the end of the empty hose (the end not connected to the trailer) . I use a large funnel. I then connect the hose up to my house water and use the pressure fill to the water tank. This not only sanitizes your water hose, but by passes using the water pump on sanitize. Don't forget to have the water heater on by pass at first , but be sure to flow the sanitize solution to it at some point to sanitize the tank. and HW lines.. Then use the pump to run the solution through all the piping. I also use the typical disposal gloves, just in case I spill, but I never do . You can also run the baking soda solution this way later when you rinse everything.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have a food grade five gallon bucket I use for it. Put the needed amount of bleach in the bucket, fill the rest of the way with water and then pump into the rig. Keeps full strength bleach from going through the pump and all the nautilus orings. Then fill the rest of the tank with city water.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

NoPeeking , I thought about that actually, but the amount of food coloring for 58 gallons (52 fresh+6 Water Heater), I figured it was more than I wanted.

Yoda , Gloves would have been the smart play. Actually I tried the hose trick, it's what got me! I thought I drained enough water from the hose for the bleach to have room, but apparently not, since it backflowed up and dowsed my hand. I have the hot water heater in line, since I only want to do sanitization once.

ncitro , I don't think I have that option on the Imagine. I do have the gravity feed, as well as "Tank Fill". The Winterization setting on my pump would not introduce any water into the freshwater tank, so it wouldn't do the job for me.
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Pool test strips!

I use the the strips from my pool. Much the same result. I also use the shock chlorine instead of bleach. I just calculate the difference in strength and off I go. Works great and then confirm with the test strips.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I have Frog test strips and will also give this a try. Typically I use a method similar to Neil's where we bypass the hot water heater then pre-mix bleach and water in the bucket and pour it in. Fill the tank with water and follow up with a 12 hour soak, then flush.

Typically we drink bottled water now that we are on city water and no longer have a well. Or carry enough RO water for drinking.

Once park water is added to this system, we consider it contaminated but will shower with it so some may feel another sanitizing is in order if adding water of unknown quality and the tank is used for consumption.

Top on the strip is Chlorine. Yellow is zero and green is adequate, where this is a bit light for sanitation purposes. But I might cut back on the bleach to be added.

Great idea!

Here is a link to sanitizing as well.

https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...-simple-steps/

Name:	City Water.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	87242

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2022, 06:26 PM.

Comment

To me the easiest way to ensure you have sanitization water to the fixtures is to blow out the lines, fill the holding tank with the bleach solution and let sit. Then I just run all of the faucets on the pump unit no air left. This ensures that the sanitization water has made it everywhere. To clear the system, just repeat the air blow of lines, fill until no air, blow down again, refill lines. Repeat as needed.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X