Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pump - Slow to charge, runs a long time, dismal pressure with air sputtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump - Slow to charge, runs a long time, dismal pressure with air sputtering

Hi Everyone! We just finished a two-week "Shakedown Cruise" in our new GD Transcend XPLOR 200MK & we're thrilled with the camper. There is a problem with the water pump as described in the subject line. I've been told that this is a known issue with some units where the pickup tube is incorrectly oriented in the tank and to fix it the belly must be removed & the tank dropped. We don't travel with the tank full, usually only a few gallons to wash & flush with. Does thins ring a bell with anyone?

Haven't heard of the pickup issue but when you go to turn the pump on, is it the first "fill" of the lines and the hot water tank? If you only have 10 gallons in the fresh tank and the 6 gallon water heater tank is empty when you switch the pump on, it's possible you're drawing the level of the fresh tank too low. If I use my pump to fill all the lines and the water heater tank, it has to run for a few minutes to do so and it'll sputter a lot while the air is purging. Once all the air is purged, it runs great.
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

regularguy2k Welcome to the forum! I would be surprised if it was anything to do with the pickup, there isn't a pickup tube in the tank, there is a bulkhead fitting on the side of the tank at the bottom that the pump inlet is connected to. I would suspect a air leak somewhere on the inlet side of the pump, but you should also have a water leak there as well. Possibly a loose connection by your city water/tank diverter valve?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Check the inlet filter on the suction side of the pump. Make sure the cup is tight or not cracked.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          Check the inlet filter on the suction side of the pump. Make sure the cup is tight or not cracked.
          While not with my GD trailer, this was the issue on my previous trailer. The cup had worked it's way loose. Tightened up and all good. Hope yours is that simple.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

No matter how the intake is configured it will not be able to pickup all the water in the tank. Personally I have found that about 5-6 gallons remain after the pickup runs dry. I am sure it varies from trailer to trailer but on the 4 that I have owned its generally 5-6.
            If we travel with a minimal amount of water for flush and hand washing on the road we typically have to add 10 gallons to yield 4 or 5 of usable water.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
              No matter how the intake is configured it will not be able to pickup all the water in the tank. Personally I have found that about 5-6 gallons remain after the pickup runs dry. I am sure it varies from trailer to trailer but on the 4 that I have owned its generally 5-6.
              If we travel with a minimal amount of water for flush and hand washing on the road we typically have to add 10 gallons to yield 4 or 5 of usable water.
              Yep, and when you account for the 6 that immediately gets pumped to a dry water heater tank the second you switch on the pump, you're not left with much. I generally travel with 10-15 gallons of fresh for that reason too.
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Working...
              X