Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grey (kitchen) roof venting pipe filling with water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey (kitchen) roof venting pipe filling with water?

I have a 2018 GD Solitude, and last night we discovered (after FT living for 4+ years) that the dealer install of the washing machine included a screw driven into the pipe that vents from the kitchen grey water tank to the roof. We're guessing that over time and moving around the screw moved around a bit until it made the hole larger until it caused a problem.... grey water leaking.

The screw has now been removed and the hole filled (to be tested), so maybe we've addressed 'the leak.' However a question still remains-

Why is water filling into the venting pipe?

I'm obviously completely unfamiliar with how this system works: Is this (water flowing into the vent pipe) normal, but ordinarily there isn't a hole in the pipe that causes a leaking problem?

TIA

Meanderings Can't imagine why there would be water in the vent pipe at anytime other than a clog near the tank. I would remove the vent cap and run a snake or the like down the vent from the top and see if that helps. Having a screw installed through the vent pipe does not surprise me at all. Another unit we had suddenly had horrible black tank stench inside. After some poking and peering down pipes with a flashlight we discovered that a screw from the shower had been run into the black tank vent, over time that hole got bigger and was allowing the sink to get out into the unit. Some silicone and relocating the fastener and all was well. Good luck

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Thanks for the helpful reply flyfshrockies

I should add that this leak clearly wasn't happening every time we've used the kitchen tank (which is all the time), but we had enough water back up to have a leak twice in the last 4 months.... it's possible we had smaller leaks go unnoticed if they just drained under the RV versus into the kitchen.

If it was clogged- would I be right to think we'd see water filling the vent pipe all the time?

As happened the first time (wherein we never found the cause/screw because the leak stopped too quickly) there was a leak and then no problems. We've used the sink since last night's leak and no problems.... it's not clear to me why it happens some of the time.

Comment

It would be possible for waste water to be in the vent line if the tank is overfilled. Also it may be that the vent pipe is inserted too far into the tank.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Also it may be that the vent pipe is inserted too far into the tank.

Brian
          Even if the vent pipe is too far into the tank, the liquid level would have to be higher than the top of the tank for it to reach the screw hole. The only way this can happen is for the tank to be overfilled.

Meanderings - What model is your Solitude? I'd like to look up the plumbing drawings to determine your gray tank size. How are you determining when the gray tank is full and needs dumping? Are you going by the lights on the control panel? If so, they are woefully inaccurate and your tank may be overfilled before the panel lights show full.

​​​​​​​Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Appreciating the help here- thank you.

TucsonJim We have a GD Solitude 2018 374TH.

We believe we've correctly identified the leaking pipe's purpose (roof vent)- it's directly to the left side of the kitchen closet and runs vertical, which in our RV houses the washer. The dealer installed wooden braces around the washer including a screw into the wall left of the washer, which went into this pipe.

The first time this happened, the tank valve was open on FHU, and the second time, it's very unlikely the tank was full (it was closed, but we hadn't used that much water). In both instances, there was the initial leak and then it stopped on it's own. This last time when the valve was closed, we used that sink after the flood with no signs that the tank was full or signs of the problem. Obviously, we're struggling to identify the problem.

Comment

Meanderings

Did you notice if they ran the washer discharge hose into the vent pipe? This large surge of water may account for the leak.

​​​​​​​Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers - Thanks for your help trying to sort this out.

The washer is actually on the other grey tank and vent.... so unless we are miss-identifying this vent pipe, they should be separate.

During the first (noticed) leak, we had been doing all sorts of things.... washing clothes (G1), taking showers (G1), and washing dishes (G2) (both G1 & G2 open), so it was especially hard to decide where the water was coming from (it smells terrible though, like grey, not black). This second time, we were camped with valves closed on a low pressure spigot, and we had just finished washing dishes. It seems we noticed the second incident faster, got the basement wall off quicker, and we could see exactly where it was wet.

We both feel like we must be getting some detail wrong or misidentifying something related to this, but after discussing on our 4 hour move, we're still not sure what were missing/what's happening.

Comment

Where is the hole in the tank vent pipe in relationship to the kitchen sink drain? And how much water is leaking at any one time; just dripping or a steady stream?

If the hole is below the kitchen sink drain level, or below the rim of the sink, then an inrush of water into the gray tank could result in water exiting the hole in a stream. If the hole is above the level of the kitchen sink drain then I think it may be condensation inside the vent pipe that is dripping out of the hole.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

If the vent pipe is shoved down into the tank too far, the pressure from water trying to enter the tank may push water up the vent as the tank is becoming pressurized. Even an AAV will not prevent this issue as it's designed to eliminate vacuum.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

JBill9694 The hole is/was at ankle level, well below the sink drain height. As for how much water ... I'd say more than condensation, but less than a gallon (maybe 32 oz if I had to put a number on it).

We had the first leak in February and then again 2 days ago. In between those events, we've occasionally smelled gray water, and we had started to wonder if the shower p-track (sanitary valve) needed to be replaced. Now we wonder if we were just smelling air (or even a little water, not enough to leak out of the wall) exiting that screw hole.

I appreciate everyone's help in puzzling this one out. We didn't want to forget and/or ignore it after the first incident, but this is a weird one to diagnose.
                      Last edited by Meanderings; 06-24-2022, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Ken orbiker alos has a 374. ken is not real active on the forum but possibly he may have some information/thoughts to share if this is something he also experienced. yea, this may be a long shot but often folks with the same model (even the same year as I recall) can offer something. Ken is a pretty knowledgeable and has been a helpful owner over the years on the old forum.

Thanks, in advance Ken !

Meanderings - possibly you may want to send a PM from the forum to Ken as well.

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

With the hole at ankle level, I feel pretty confident in saying that the leaking is due to an in-rush of water into the gray tank that temporarily pushes water into the vent pipe as the water surface tries to equalize. Whether this happens because the tank is nearly full or full, or because the vent pipe extends too far into the tank is something that could be determined by testing. I would also theorize that the odor problem is also due to an in-rush of water into the gray tank that may not push water into the vent, but does push the gasses up the vent with sufficient force that some exits out the small screw hole.

My final theory is that none of this happens when just running the faucet in the sink. But, if a large cooking pot is filled and then dumped all at once this could provide the needed energy.
                          John
                          2018 Momentum 395M
                          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I want to thank you all for your help- leaks in a RV (along with all the many other everyday disasters) are stressful, but I think we figured it out and it's a big DUH for us.

It appears we have some kind of tank blockage, and the grey tank wasn't emptying properly. So while we thought we were adding water to a near empty tank, it was full and backing up into the air vent.

We managed to fill the sink (to sink drain level, and the filled screw hole held so no floor leak) when it has no business being full, and our most recent tank dump had seemed light. Our sensors no longer work on that tank, and it's hard to know when the tank is empty so we were making some assumptions. Some water was getting emptied, so it was only a problem in situations where the valve sat closed for a while or was being opened and closed more frequently. We are sorting out the details, and working under the assumption we just have 4+ years of usual grime build up.

We're camped on FHU for the next few days and plan to fill, empty, and test.

I appreciate your thoughtful expertise JBill9694 Canyonlight Jlawles2 Country Campers TucsonJim flyfshrockies
                            Last edited by Meanderings; 06-25-2022, 04:29 PM.

Comment

It is best, even when on FHU sites to leave the valves closed and empty when needed instead of leaving them open and allowing the tanks to drain when used. This will help with the build up of materials that can cause clogs. The black tank should be precharged with water before use, I usually put about 10 gallons in to start and replenish this when the tank is drained so there is always 10 gallons in the tank. We also put about 5 gallons in the grey tanks. I realize this may not be best for someone who is dry camping and needs the tank space but the 10 gallons in the black tank will save a lot of issues down the road.

I would think with your "clog" in the grey tank you could add some hot water and let it sit and then drain, you might have to do this a few times to get some results.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X