Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grey (kitchen) roof venting pipe filling with water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Ken orbiker alos has a 374. ken is not real active on the forum but possibly he may have some information/thoughts to share if this is something he also experienced. yea, this may be a long shot but often folks with the same model (even the same year as I recall) can offer something. Ken is a pretty knowledgeable and has been a helpful owner over the years on the old forum.

Thanks, in advance Ken !

Meanderings - possibly you may want to send a PM from the forum to Ken as well.

Dan
    I don't have a washer / dryer in our 2018 374TH-R Solitude.
    I am guessing that the soap foam is backing up in the vent and finding it's way out.

I have heard of others having different sewer vents leaking because of a hole / screw / etc.
    One person had the dealer cut below the leak and pull the straight piece of pipe out the roof and the slip a new pipe back in. Then glue it back in place.

As a appliance technician (retired now after 32 years), I do not want a washer / dryer in our rig. Just picture the stand pipe backing up and all the washer water puking all over the place. KEN
    2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
    Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
    10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Meanderings View Post
      I want to thank you all for your help- leaks in a RV (along with all the many other everyday disasters) are stressful, but I think we figured it out and it's a big DUH for us.

It appears we have some kind of tank blockage, and the grey tank wasn't emptying properly. So while we thought we were adding water to a near empty tank, it was full and backing up into the air vent.

We managed to fill the sink (to sink drain level, and the filled screw hole held so no floor leak) when it has no business being full, and our most recent tank dump had seemed light. Our sensors no longer work on that tank, and it's hard to know when the tank is empty so we were making some assumptions. Some water was getting emptied, so it was only a problem in situations where the valve sat closed for a while or was being opened and closed more frequently. We are sorting out the details, and working under the assumption we just have 4+ years of usual grime build up.

We're camped on FHU for the next few days and plan to fill, empty, and test.

I appreciate your thoughtful expertise JBill9694 Canyonlight Jlawles2 Country Campers TucsonJim flyfshrockies
      Once your test is done, run your washer with a half gallon of vinegar at least twice and then once a month. That will help make the washer smell better and rinse away the soap skum from using too much detergent. 1/4 the recommended amount will wash your cloches better. KEN
      2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
      Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
      10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

Not trying to pick a fight but do want to note that I leave our gray drain valve open, except when traveling or draining the black tank. We started out with the valve closed and then opening to drain the gray tank on a daily basis. This resulted in wear and tear on the connecting cable due to tight bends (the cable has to make a 180-degree bend in route to the valve) and replacement of the cable twice before getting an installation with bends as large as possible. However, I still want to minimize operating the valve as much as possible, so leaving it open when hooked up works for us. But this may not be for everyone.

Now, as for the clog. It is not recommended by GD, but it is possible to backflush the gray tank using a backflushing valve such as Amazon.com: Valterra Flush King™ 45 Degree Reverse Flush Valve Attachment for RV, Camper, Trailer : Automotive

John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

JBill9694 John, Do you have the Valterra valve? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...prefix=valtera Leaving the grey tanks open, should not create much of an issue as the tank will act as a surge device if you are running a small hose (I have a garden hose cap that I have used for long term setup on previous trailers).

With the twist on valve you get a bit of both worlds. Tanks can be shared. I typically drain tanks on extended stay sites at the 2/3 mark vs daily.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yes, Joseph, I have the twist on valve on the common outlet for our gray tank and front black tank. Too many times in the past I have gone to pull the dust cap off and found out that there was leakage past one of the drain valves to not travel without this backup valve in place. A pending mod is to add one to my rear black tank outlet. Right now the end of the pipe is too close to the skirting panel for the twist on valve to fit comfortably.

I understand what you're saying about sharing gray tanks, but despite what the paperwork for our rig says we only have the one gray tank.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
            X