Pex crimpers and ring types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex crimpers and ring types?

Seems that most people I see use the cinch type rings for pex plumbing in their rig. I’ve always used the crimp type in home and farm plumbing. Is there an advantage to the cinch rings in the tight spaces on an RV?

I recently acquired a pex pocket crimper which seems like an ideal tool to carry for repairs on the road. I already have plenty of crimp rings stocked at home that I could carry with me as well.

Just curious if I should consider carrying the cinch rings and tool instead.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

This is a six of one and half a dozen of another. Both are equally effective. I would use what you have.

I see some copper crimp rings, a lot of stainless steel clamps, and occasionally PEX A with expanded PEX reinforcing rings.

The advantages of the clamps are one installation tool for all sizes and easier removal.

I use the clamp type except when the fitting is tucked away in an almost impossible to reach place, then I use SharkBite fittings.
    Colan Arnold
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    Full time since 2016

Comment

Jkwilson

Could you please supply a link for the "pocket crimper"?
      This may be of interest to some here, I am interested.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Jkwilson Could you please supply a link for the "pocket crimper"? This may be of interest to some here, I am interested. Brian
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWOVqg2zvkU

... or this instead :

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-267...s%2C160&sr=8-1
        Last edited by boyscout; 12-10-2019, 04:44 PM.
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Jkwilson

Could you please supply a link for the "pocket crimper"?
          This may be of interest to some here, I am interested.

Brian
          Boyscout got the link. I’ll describe it. It’s essentially just the crimping block portion of a crimper. It has ears off one end where you supply the crimping power with a pair of vise grips. It’s actually a little better in a tight space than a standard crimper since you have some flexibility in the angle you use the vise grips. Makes for a small tool that doesn’t take up much space. I wouldn’t set off to do a plumbing job with it being the only crimper I had, but as a “just in case” toolbox addition it seems good.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Back to the original question. The only benefit I see in the cinch rings is that they are easier to remove during a field repair. Rob (Cate & Rob) has documented a way to remove cinch rings with a small pair of nippers. When I want to remove a standard ring on my home plumbing, I typically have to break out a Dremel tool to cut through the band.

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              Back to the original question. The only benefit I see in the cinch rings is that they are easier to remove during a field repair. Rob (Cate & Rob) has documented a way to remove cinch rings with a small pair of nippers. When I want to remove a standard ring on my home plumbing, I typically have to break out a Dremel tool to cut through the band.
              I’m with Jim on the Dremel. I use the SS cinch rings and use my cordless Dremel to cut the raised cinch point. I have been able to get into some fairly tight spots and cut cinch rings. My needle nose pliers finish the job of removing the ring from the pipe.
              Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
              2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
              2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

That solution of using the nippers worked really well. Got them at Harbor Freight to try out on the faucet replacement for the bath. Maybe post that again it is a good solution for field repairs.
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

Attached is a summary of the plumbing tools and spare parts that I carry. All the spare parts and even the tools would fit into one small toolbox, the size of a shoebox.

As noted earlier, the main benefit of the cinch rings is their ease of removal. There is a picture of the small crimpers that I use to grab the end of the stainless steel wrap and peel it off the retaining latch. Side cutters will also work . . . but, not as well. The solid copper rings have to be cut with a dremel tool or similar which leaves bits of copper everywhere.

The pocket crimpers noted earlier in this thread will only work with the copper rings. I am not sure that getting the two jaws of the tool into place and squeezing them together multiple times with vice grips is an "easier" process than the single crimp with the cinch ring tool. The cinch ring tool is sold as "one handed" . . . but I have found that it usually takes two hands to get the wide spread handles started. A version of this tool that could truly be used with one hand would be better.

Rob
                  Attached Files
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    As noted earlier, the main benefit of the cinch rings is their ease of removal. There is a picture of the small crimpers that I use to grab the end of the stainless steel wrap and peel it off the retaining latch. Side cutters will also work . . . but, not as well. The solid copper rings have to be cut with a dremel tool or similar which leaves bits of copper everywhere.
                    TucsonJim Beachcamper CloseToRetirement (hope I've flagged everyone who commented on using nippers to cut the steel PEX clamps)

I've followed Cate&Rob advice and been grateful for it. I have small nippers purchased on Rob's advice and used them as I started my soft-hose replacement recently. It worked, but it was still a fiddly PITA (let's see if THAT escapes the cuss filter! ) Moments ago I saw something on YouTube that might be easier. I haven't tried it, and maybe Rob has and rejected it, but it looks simpler and faster.

The video below begins with removal of the copper rings (how easy that is with the right tool). At around the 50-second mark it shows the steel crimp rings, using the crimping tool to cut the crimp off the crimp ring. Genius... I look forward to seeing if mine does that so easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNslIrWk1-w

EDIT: Here's a link to a product that *specifically* says it's a cutter as well as a crimper.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...duct_id=PXCLTL
                    Last edited by boyscout; 12-11-2019, 01:57 PM.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout / Mark,
                      I'm a sucker for tools, but if the criteria is to cut back the old pex tubing at least 2" from the previous connection, why mess around with specialty tools as shown in the video? A clean cutter is required, but after that a Dremel should work just fine while holding the removed assembly with a pair of needle nose. Especially since you can do it outside of the camper.

Am I missing something?

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        boyscout / Mark,
                        I'm a sucker for tools, but if the criteria is to cut back the old pex tubing at least 2" from the previous connection, why mess around with specialty tools as shown in the video? A clean cutter is required, but after that a Dremel should work just fine while holding the removed assembly with a pair of needle nose. Especially since you can do it outside of the camper.

Am I missing something?

Howard
                        Not usually, but

- I'd bet that there are people who don't carry around a Dremel,

- Someone who needs to cut off clamps probably also has to put clamps on... one tool that does both is A Good Thing, and

- Betcha a beer that I could crunch off a clamp faster with that tool than you could Dremel one off. Where and when do we arrange TV coverage and proof it?!

Comment

It is interesting that our biggest discussion on on these things is how to get them off . . . not how to put them on . . . what does that tell you? LOL!

The advantage of unwrapping the crimp ring with the small end nippers is that these can get into a very small space. It is often obvious that these rings were installed at a sub-assembly because the crimp is at a location inaccessible after final assembly. Another advantage (if you need to re-crimp this exact location) is that there is no risk of cutting the Pex while removing the crimp ring this way.

Cutting the clamp (if easy to do) would be a good alternative if this does not damage the Pex tubing. I don't like the dremel alternative because of all the bits of metal that fly around and this inevitably cuts the Pex underneath.

boyscout Mark . . . I'll take that beer bet with my unwrap method .

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
                            Betcha a beer that I could crunch off a clamp faster with that tool than you could Dremel one off. Where and when do we arrange TV coverage and proof it?!
                            Sounds like fun--especially after a few "sodas" and conversation at our next get together.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              boyscout Mark . . . I'll take that beer bet with my unwrap method . Rob
                              I actually own two pairs of little nippers. The first was pretty much useless at your advised method of grabbing the wrapped end of the clamp to peel it up and I thought, "What was Rob smoking?" Then I noticed that the face / topmost part of the pincers curved down towards their cutting edge a little so, far from my grinder, I bought another pair with a flatter face that worked better. It was still a struggle at times to grab the tip of that wrap though, so I'll be happy to drink your beer after I drink Howard's. In very special circumstances I do drink more than one.

Comment

Working...
                              X