Pex crimpers and ring types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boyscout

I wish I would have known how difficult opening those crimp rings were before I bought my crimper. I saw a video of someone using a flathead screwdriver to peel off the tab but it never worked as well for me as the nipper. I would have bought that combo crimper cutter if I knew it existed.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

So to all of the "guru's" , in the video it is recommended to remove a portion of the tubing that was already "used", fitting and crimped.

Is it ok to remove the crimp ring and not cut off the end of the pex tubing?

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        So to all of the "guru's" , in the video it is recommended to remove a portion of the tubing that was already "used", fitting and crimped.

Is it ok to remove the crimp ring and not cut off the end of the pex tubing?

Brian
        Okay? Maybe on the road to get by. I’d hesitate to expect the repair to be as good as possible though.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Another solution for tight spaces is keep an assorted supply of sharkbite fittings. I carry a full size crimper too along with an assortment of ratchet clamps.
          I probably need Santa to bring me a bigger tool box as the small crimp tool looks handy as I already have the vice grips.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            So to all of the "guru's" , in the video it is recommended to remove a portion of the tubing that was already "used", fitting and crimped. Is it ok to remove the crimp ring and not cut off the end of the pex tubing? Brian
            Brian, I've been holding back waiting for the real "gurus" to answer you... I'm certainly not one of those. However having recently dismantled some of our trailer's PEX plumbing in moderate temperatures I can report that it's extremely difficult to separate the parts after the cinch ring is removed, and a couple of times I saw shavings of PEX on the fitting after I got it apart. It seems to me as though the PEX is pretty seriously deformed to the fitting when it is cinched onto a fitting.

The advice I've seen elsewhere on the internet where everything is true is to cut two inches off a previously-used PEX pipe if you're going to re-use it. Sometimes that two inches may challenge re-assembling parts of a system. My inclination after doing a small part of the plumbing upgrade I plan to do is to simply cut pretty much everything out and replace it. But I am *not* a guru... some might consider me a fool.
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout
              Thanks for the info and first hand experience. I was not planning on re-using the tubing but in a pinch it might just do the job. I have not got involved in the plumbing yet , still trying to get shop finished , but I think I will get in there at some time.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes, I carry a cordless Dremel in my toolbox as it's used to do dog nails each weekend. I can cut the SS cinch clamp open in 6 seconds then remove the ring with my needle nose pliers without any damage to the surrounding pipe or fitting. I won't re-use the pipe after removing the cinch clamp because it deforms the the pipe. Because I use Pex A (very flexible), on an in-field repair, I might consider reusing the pipe, however I would use my heat gun (yes, that's in my toolbox too) to loosen the Pex then let it cool to avoid having to cut new pipe until I can make the permanent fix. I do carry a six foot piece of both blue and red Pex A in my coach, just in case.

- Lyle

P.S. The DW says I carry to much "tool stuff" with me.
                Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
                2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
                2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
                  P.S. The DW says I carry to much "tool stuff" with me.
                  https://www.dictionary.com/browse/oxymoron?s=t

Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                  X