Fresh Tank Spillover Valve Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Tank Spillover Valve Upgrade

This was inspired from TucsonJim on the thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...flow-revisited

I prefer ball valves and purchased one from Lowe's that is a SharkBite 1/2" valve. The other side did not really matter as it just spills out from there and is not connected to anything.

Remember: Open the valve when filling the fresh tank to allow it to spill out and pressure not to build....then close back when finished to prevent tank spillage into the overflow line.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220716_204242579.jpg Views:	9 Size:	138.1 KB ID:	90553
    Last edited by howson; 07-20-2022, 06:00 AM.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Also remember to open when using from the fresh tank to allow air to fill when the water is used so the tank does not collapse.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Also remember to open when using from the fresh tank to allow air to fill when the water is used so the tank does not collapse.

Brian
      The gravity fill has a vent hole, does it not?
      Mike and (RIP Karen)
      2021 2600RB
      2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

If the tank is gravity filled with vent, then there is no need for the overflow vent.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I did the same... and from Lowes, for about eight bucks. (Also, valved the low point drains.)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Tank Overflow Valve.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	90578

The gravity fill on the 2400BH is vented.

Name:	Gravity Fill Vent.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	90579

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
            I
            The gravity fill on the 2400BH is vented.
            Mike
            Hi Mike,

While there is a vent opening at the gravity fill, it may not be connected to the tank. Please confirm that this is connected to the tank before counting on it to vent the tank if you close the overflow/vent.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Mike,

While there is a vent opening at the gravity fill, it may not be connected to the tank. Please confirm that this is connected to the tank before counting on it to vent the tank if you close the overflow/vent.

Rob
              It is... I can feel/hear air escaping when filling through either the gravity fill, or the city water connection tank fill. When using the city water connection, I open the cap on the gravity fill as well.

Mike
              Mike & Sonya
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I did this same setup on my Hot and cold Drain lines for winterizing. Way better than the plugs that came with the camper.
                2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

It is... I can feel/hear air escaping when filling through either the gravity fill, or the city water connection tank fill. When using the city water connection, I open the cap on the gravity fill as well.

Mike
                  I had heard that Grand Design was going to begin connecting the vent adjacent to the fill, where this fill is on an exterior wall. Yours is the first report of this actually being done. This does beg the question of . . . why have and overflow/vent under the trailer if there is a better one adjacent to the fill point?

Rb
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

IMO, the gravity fill/vent is the best solution to venting the freshwater tank. It allows for maximum filling and water retention. It even works when you use the power fill and it is a passive solution; no valve to remember.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Rob, you had me scratching my head on this one and I do stand corrected... that vent next to the fill port only opens to the inside of the cabinet. (The sound/feel of exiting air must be from the fill line itself (which I assume acts as a vent if you remove the cap when filling at the city connection).) The inside of that small vent pictured above was plugged with caulking on the inside. When I removed the plug, daylight. So, back to being cautious when valving the overflow drain.

Mike

Name:	Inside Gravity Fill.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	90614
                      Mike & Sonya
                      Blue Ox SwayPro
                      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Hi Mike,

This makes more sense with what others have found . . . the “vent” connection at the gravity fill is not connected to anything. I seem to recall that someone found a vented cap for the gravity fill that allowed it to be a source of air when drawing water from the tank. (I can’t find this reference at the moment .)

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, you had me scratching my head on this one and I do stand corrected... that vent next to the fill port only opens to the inside of the cabinet. (The sound/feel of exiting air must be from the fill line itself (which I assume acts as a vent if you remove the cap when filling at the city connection).) The inside of that small vent pictured above was plugged with caulking on the inside. When I removed the plug, daylight. So, back to being cautious when valving the overflow drain.

Mike

Name:	Inside Gravity Fill.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	90614
                          Mike. If you do a search - in the OLD days my80's vintage wanderer came with a vented cap on the exterior fill as that is all there was - an opening direct to the tank under the bed. Perhaps you can find one of the old style caps. It had a 1/4" hole in it and inside a bug screen. In a tight turn when the tank was full it would spit water.

Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Mike. If you do a search - in the OLD days my80's vintage wanderer came with a vented cap on the exterior fill as that is all there was - an opening direct to the tank under the bed. Perhaps you can find one of the old style caps. It had a 1/4" hole in it and inside a bug screen. In a tight turn when the tank was full it would spit water.

Keith
                            Keith - our 2004 Cougar TT was the same. Seems even our 3 prior mini-homes were the same. We could certain feel the rush of air coming out and then spitting and sputtering until a steady stream of water came out. Right next to the water fill made sense to me but probably more parts/labor install for many of today's builds where even a loose change/a few dollars gets the pencil pusher numbers folks "all shook up !"

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Keith - our 2004 Cougar TT was the same. Seems even our 3 prior mini-homes were the same. We could certain feel the rush of air coming out and then spitting and sputtering until a steady stream of water came out. Right next to the water fill made sense to me but probably more parts/labor install for many of today's builds where even a loose change/a few dollars gets the pencil pusher numbers folks "all shook up !"

Dan
                              Dan I did not make myself clear enough. The vent was in the screw cap, not beside. like the hole in the picture of post 11. So for those with exterior fill all they would need to do is change the screw on cap.to the vented style. Sorry if I was confusing, I guess you could make you own by drilling a 1/4" hole in the cap and placing some non rusting fin mesh screen inside with the washer over it to hold it in place.

Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X