Fresh Tank Spillover Valve Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Dan I did not make myself clear enough. The vent was in the screw cap, not beside. like the hole in the picture of post 11. So for those with exterior fill all they would need to do is change the screw on cap.to the vented style. Sorry if I was confusing, I guess you could make you own by drilling a 1/4" hole in the cap and placing some non rusting fin mesh screen inside with the washer over it to hold it in place.

Keith
    OK..got it now, thanks, Keith. I never saw the vent in the screw cap....well at least that this old guy can remember !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220721-154637_Chrome.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	90753
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220721-154637_Chrome.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	90753
        Thanks, Ted !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I'm also losing a crazy amount if water via the overflow hose in my Transcend.

I was planning to just put a ball valve on that hose (as the OP showed) but I read some more on this forum and realized that the tank needs to be vented both when filling and when using the water.

And apparently the tank also collapses and there's something called the syphon effect I don't understand.

Is it possible that the existing cap would be enough of a vent since it's not watertight, at least for when using the water pump? I know it is not watertight because one time I had water spill out of it when filling via the city water connection.

My problem with opening the overflow valve before using the water is that I'm on the road most days, I cook 1-2 meals on the road, 5 people use the washroom, and arrive at campsites dead tired sometimes. I'm just not going to remember to open it every time.
          2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

AndrewSmith

Grand Design has added the dual overflow/vent lines to most models. This breaks the siphon action that can happen through a single overflow line resulting in draining a considerable amount of the water from the tank by sucking in the walls and bottom of the tank as the siphoning continues. This fix will not stop "slosh" oveflow while driving, but this water loss is minimal compared to the siphon situation. Adding the second overflow line in parallel with the existing single overflow would require a T, a few inches of Pex line and a few clamps. More details at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...problem-solved

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

AndrewSmith -- Cate&Rob has come up with a solution that stops the siphoning (though not water loss due to sloshing but that's minimal). Honestly I'm not sure what it would take to incorporate his idea into an existing trailer. He'll see the tag and will respond so keep an eye on this thread.

If you'd like to read the info he's already posted, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...problem-solved
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Cate&Rob -- I moved your thread to the Reference Material section--we must have both been typing at the same time! (I was surprised we hadn't put your thread in the Plumbing's RM channel!)
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Because the gravity fill on the 2400BH is vented - I have not been opening that valve when using the pump or city water. When I pump water into the gravity fill, I can feel the air push out through that vent (not fast enough - sometimes I remove the fill line and air gushes out.

As such - I don't think I am at risk of tank collapse. Great discussion!
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH
                  2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                    Because the gravity fill on the 2400BH is vented - I have not been opening that valve when using the pump or city water. When I pump water into the gravity fill, I can feel the air push out through that vent (not fast enough - sometimes I remove the fill line and air gushes out.

Please make sure that the vent line is actually connected to the tank. I have not heard of one being connected.

I would guess that when you feel the rush of air come out when you remove the hose when filling tells me that the vent line is not connected. On our previous TT, another brand, the vent line was connected and there was never any rush of air come out when removing the filling hose.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

See post 11 of this thread for what your vent “connection” likely looks like. Grand Design dies not connect this port to the tank.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

bellis , Rob is spot on.

The gravity fill vent on my Imagine was not connected. I've also added the ball valve that many have done but one time I forgot to open the valve which could have collapsed and damaged the tank. To prevent this in the future I tee'd off the overflow and ran a line to the unused vent on the gravity fill. The line was easy to route along side the tank and under the sink area of our Imagine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Overflow w Vent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.7 KB ID:	95309

Jim
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't have any photos but I've done something rather simpler.

I drilled two holes in the gravity fill cap, and covered them on the inside with that mesh-type drywall tape. I figured that will provide plenty of room for air to get out.

I'll still plan to open the overflow valve when filling, but now I don't need to worry about forgetting to do it.

Also replaced all the plastic drain vailves with metal ones. On a previous trailer I had the tank drain valve break during a trip, and it was just blind luck that I could fix it. It broke when I stopped at a farm for a couple of days.
                          2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Working...
                          X