Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to use water while filling the fresh tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to use water while filling the fresh tank?

Sorry if this is a silly question but we live full time in our RV and the site pressure is horrible so we use our internal tanks. Anyway, we have to fill our tanks every few days and it takes quite a bit of time... is it possible (with the Nautilus system) to allow my wife to still use water why we "power fill?"

Thanks,
    Todd
    Todd & Steph
    2022 Momentum 395MS-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Diesel

Originally posted by bsonposh View Post
    Sorry if this is a silly question but we live full time in our RV and the site pressure is horrible so we use our internal tanks. Anyway, we have to fill our tanks every few days and it takes quite a bit of time... is it possible (with the Nautilus system) to allow my wife to still use water why we "power fill?"

Thanks,
    Todd
    Howard worked out a solution to this for me a few years ago. Works great:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-the-same-time

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Howard worked out a solution to this for me a few years ago. Works great:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-the-same-time
      That looks interesting but I dont have a black knob... I only have the white, blue, green and red. There is a black knob further down the panel but I've not touched it before so not sure what it does.
      Todd & Steph
      2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Originally posted by bsonposh View Post

That looks interesting but I dont have a black knob... I only have the white, blue, green and red. There is a black knob further down the panel but I've not touched it before so not sure what it does.
        Can you post a picture of your panel?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_panel.JPEG
Views:	253
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	90707
          Todd & Steph
          2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

That is the Nautilus P4 panel.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

If I understand the user manual, set the valves to fill/sanitize and with the water hose connected instead of a sanitize bucket to suction from, you can pressurize and fill at the same time.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

bsonposh i reviewed the manual for the p4 (relevant page attached) and the blue valve sends water to either the fixtures or the tank. In the P3 that I have those handles are simple ball valves (discussed in the thread I linked above). If the P4 is the same there should be no harm in running the blue valve halfway between the two to send water both ways. You won't get full flow so I would not try to take a shower but if for washing hands or dishes it should be okay.

Obviously try this at your own risk. I'm going to tag in howson and @cate&rob to see what they think.

Edit: forgot my attachment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7F09DE8E-8026-4DC1-A96C-DE0E319BE1E9.png Views:	0 Size:	230.3 KB ID:	90717
                Last edited by ncitro; 07-21-2022, 06:08 PM.

Neil Citro

Comment

Nautilus-P4-User.pdf
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

So, out of curiosity, what does the black lever above the black tank valve handle do?

Back to the OP and the statement about the site pressure being horrible, is this just at the current location or is it a prevalent problem? If prevalent, check pressures before and after your PRV, with water not flowing and flowing. Might be a bad PRV. Might also be as simple as changing the water filter cartridge.

Is there a backflow preventer on the site spigot? If yes, and the PRV is connected directly to backflow preventer, the two may not play nice. A short nipple between the two would fix this.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                      So, out of curiosity, what does the black lever above the black tank valve handle do?
                      I can't find any reference to what this valve does . In the "olden days" when Grand Design used the Kantleak water system, there was a valve that looked like this called the "fresh tank access". This did allow the tank to fill while the RV was using city water . . . much like the original question in this thread. (This valve was primarily used to introduce antifreeze to the line between the valves and the tank.)

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

Back to the OP and the statement about the site pressure being horrible, is this just at the current location or is it a prevalent problem? If prevalent, check pressures before and after your PRV, with water not flowing and flowing. Might be a bad PRV. Might also be as simple as changing the water filter cartridge.

Is there a backflow preventer on the site spigot? If yes, and the PRV is connected directly to backflow preventer, the two may not play nice. A short nipple between the two would fix this.
                        This location specific... its our "home base" as it were. It just simply has bad pressure :( I am debating making my own "pressure" system that uses a 50gal barrel and external water pump... it will solve both pressure and having to fill the fresh tanks every three days.
                        Todd & Steph
                        2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                          bsonposh i reviewed the manual for the p4 (relevant page attached) and the blue valve sends water to either the fixtures or the tank. In the P3 that I have those handles are simple ball valves (discussed in the thread I linked above). If the P4 is the same there should be no harm in running the blue valve halfway between the two to send water both ways. You won't get full flow so I would not try to take a shower but if for washing hands or dishes it should be okay.

Obviously try this at your own risk. I'm going to tag in howson and @cate&rob to see what they think.

Edit: forgot my attachment.

Click image for larger version Name:	7F09DE8E-8026-4DC1-A96C-DE0E319BE1E9.png Views:	0 Size:	230.3 KB ID:	90717
                          bsonposh

OK a brainstorm here. What would happen if the OP left the valves in dry camping and just turned the blue valve down with city water connected. That should fill the fresh water tank and leave the pump connected to the system. Mind you I am a bit tired tonight from packing tonight. Leave mid morning for Alaska.

Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

bsonposh

OK a brainstorm here. What would happen if the OP left the valves in dry camping and just turned the blue valve down with city water connected. That should fill the fresh water tank and leave the pump connected to the system. Mind you I am a bit tired tonight from packing tonight. Leave mid morning for Alaska.

Keith
                            After I replace the pump (today/tomorrow) I can try.
                            Todd & Steph
                            2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

The black valve is used for the ice maker on units with residential refrigerators. I have that same spade looking black valve on my solitude and that is what it is used for. (The supply line to the ice maker)
                              2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
                              2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Working...
                              X