Water pump not priming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump not priming

Arrived at our campground today and while filling the water tank, turned on the pump and faucets to run the air out of the system. Alas, the pump came on, but very quietly and didn’t pump water. Nothing in the filter plexiglass thing either.

How can I troubleshoot this since it’s the first day of a weeklong trip?!

Pump: shurFlo 4008-101-A35
    Last edited by timh0042; 07-24-2022, 04:11 PM. Reason: Added pump model
    Tim H.
    2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
    Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
    Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

I have seen issues with the filter housing being cracked or not being tight and causing this. I would pull the clear filter housing on the pump and inspect the housing and re-install.
    Scott & Mikaela
    2022 375 RES
    2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Hi Tim,

Double check the Nautilus panel valve settings . . . it sounds like you don’t have the pump intake open to the tank. Another question . . . do you have a valve on the tank overflow that needs to be opened?

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
        I have seen issues with the filter housing being cracked or not being tight and causing this. I would pull the clear filter housing on the pump and inspect the housing and re-install.
        filter housing inspected. No obvious cracks. Filter is now cleaner. Reinstall and no change.
        Tim H.
        2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Hi Tim,

Double check the Nautilus panel valve settings . . . it sounds like you don’t have the pump intake open to the tank. Another question . . . do you have a valve on the tank overflow that needs to be opened?

Rob
          hmmm. I don’t think my panel settings matter? Checking anyway.
          Tim H.
          2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Hi Tim,

Rob
            I don’t have the full nautilus panel, just city or tank fill. It was on city since it was getting service last week. I used the gravity feed to fill. Flipped to the tank side and no change. I do not have a valve on the overflow Tube.

also tried using the auxiliary tube to draw from a bucket instead of antifreeze and that didn’t work either
            Tim H.
            2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Are the other valves in their correct positions? Is suction hose cap tight?

ImagineTT_2022_OM _Rev.01.2022.pdf
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Hmmm, not sure what else could be the problem for sure, the next items I would check would be low point drains, ensure water heater is full, outside spray ports shut off. Only other thing I can think of would be debris in the city water fill port, sometimes those have a spring loaded check valve right behind them and that may be allowing air to enter the system and not pressurize. I am far from an expert just throwing out ideas.
                Scott & Mikaela
                2022 375 RES
                2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

The only thing I can think at this point is something is wrong with the pump itself.

Tank is full, all the valves are in the right places: water panel is set to fill (even though I don’t think that matters); winterize is set to tank, not suction tube; low points are closed. After that, regardless of anything, the pump should suck water and fill the system to pressure. It’s not. Even if I open a faucet.

Is there any way to possibly pull the pump and “bench” test it? Or is there anything serviceable inside?
                  Tim H.
                  2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Disconnect the pump inlet, feel if there is suction.
                    Or, disconnect the pump outlet; does water flow out when the pump is running.

The pump should be repairable. Search the pump model online for repair parts. There may be debris inside the pumping chambers preventing proper pumping function. Debris can be cleaned out.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                      Disconnect the pump inlet, feel if there is suction.
                      Or, disconnect the pump outlet; does water flow out when the pump is running.

The pump should be repairable. Search the pump model online for repair parts. There may be debris inside the pumping chambers preventing proper pumping function. Debris can be cleaned out.
                      Negative on both accounts. Opened the inlet side, turned on the pump and it didn’t suck my thumb onto it. Also no output of water on the outlet side either.

And with both sides disconnected, still no real suction on the inlet.
                      Tim H.
                      2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Originally posted by timh0042 View Post

Negative on both accounts. Opened the inlet side, turned on the pump and it didn’t suck my thumb onto it. Also no output of water on the outlet side either.

And with both sides disconnected, still no real suction on the inlet.
                        A new pump should not fail, but it is possible. I carry a spare pump because I have a rule -- anything that has water flow through it that stops working correctly is replaced. While I always appreciate the advice and good intentions of those who post here, I do not think trying to repair a water pump is worth the time and effort.
                        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

This is sounding like the pump is the problem. The clue might be the time it spent at the dealer. Maybe . . . how many hours did that pump run dry? No easy test that I can think of. Either rig up a bench test setup . . . or, buy a new pump and try it.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It's time to contact GD customer service.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post

A new pump should not fail, but it is possible. I carry a spare pump because I have a rule -- anything that has water flow through it that stops working correctly is replaced. While I always appreciate the advice and good intentions of those who post here, I do not think trying to repair a water pump is worth the time and effort.
                              I tend to agree here, but I don’t have a spare, so was hopeful there would be a stop gap til I could get a new one.
                              Tim H.
                              2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Working...
                              X