Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut under kitchen faucet

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and new to GD. We have an Imagine XLS 22RBE and there is a leak coming from one of the hoses, up inside the kitchen faucet. There is a weird looking nut holding there, that in all honesty looks like the outline of a typical cartoon monkey head! I have taken the 2 screws out, but I can’t determine whether there is a special tool needed to remove this nut, or if if it’s supposed to be moved instead like a spring clip before it will turn. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam

Hi Sam,

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

The "weird shaped" retainer that you are looking at might be a plate that fits around the hoses, held by a regular nut. If you can reach back in there with your phone and take a picture, this might help us to help you. The kitchen faucets are not much different than normal residential units. Pick one that you like at Home Depot or similar store . . . and it will likely be better quality that what your trailer was built with. Take the old faucet assembly with you to the store . . . you might need a commonly available plumbing fitting or two to adapt to what is in the trailer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Comment

This is the monkey-headed nut I’m referring to.

Comment

Hi Sam,

Well . . . that is definitely a curious looking faucet attachment. I don't see any way that is coming apart to allow the faucet to lift up out of the hole, in the "normal" direction. Is it possible that the faucet comes apart from the top and this part drops down? Hopefully some other forum members may have more advice on this.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks again Rob; I hadn’t considered it coming apart from the top down…there was a screw in both of the holes on the nut, which IS turned, very slightly. Did it with a large slip joint pliers, but can’t get it to move any more.

Sam

Comment

I loosened the same 2 screws to turn the faucet 90 degrees but did not remove the faucet, it was pretty tight to turn. Looking at your picture of the nut I am not sure how it works but it does look like that is how it goes together and comes apart. Hopefully there is an owner here that has replaced this fixture with the knowledge we need.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If this is like a residential faucet, that nut is not meant to be tight to the surface. Instead, the screws that thread through the holes are supposed to push up against the plate and push the plate (and top side of the faucet) down and make it all tight. That oddly shaped ring should unthread downward and come off completely. Then you can hopefully remove the faucet from the top side. I suspect the odd shape opening is to allow the hose ends/fittings to slip through.

That odd nut shouldn’t be hard to turn by hand. If it is, then it may be cross threaded or something. If it’s really difficult, you may just have to get creative to get it unscrewed.
                Tim H.
                2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
                2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
                Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
                Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

Comment

timh0042

Hi Tim,
                  I agree with your description of how this “normally” works . . . but, if you look at Sam’s picture, there are external threads of a larger diameter than the plate with the tightening holes and nothing that looks like a removable nut.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think it's an illusion on the threads being much larger than the inside of the nut. The funny looking loop is probably for some part of the connections to fit through the stamped steel nut in the fitment process. You may want to install the compression bolts back into the nut slightly to act as handles then try unthreading. You may need to tighten a touch then loosen as debris may have gotten in the threads causing them to bind.

One other strange thing is to verify that they are standard right hand threads and not left handed. Odd thing, but stranger things have been found.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I appreciate the replies-I haven’t had a chance to get back under there.

Sam

Comment

After re-reading a couple of posts, I grabbed the faucet from above & twisted it 2 or 3 times, then the monkey-headed nut screwed right off! Thanks again for the replies.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by SHOOT1SAM View Post
                          After re-reading a couple of posts, I grabbed the faucet from above & twisted it 2 or 3 times, then the monkey-headed nut screwed right off! Thanks again for the replies.

Sam
                          That is great you got it removed. Could you please post a picture of the nut installed now that you have it removed.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Just wanted to circle back on this after I had to be under my kitchen sink recently and I noticed the same nut.

Looks to me like the factory install is only half done. I didn’t have any tension screws in mine either.

I pulled mine off since my faucet was wobbly. Went to the local hardware store and picked up two 10-32 x 1” stainless screws. This allowed me to make the nut hand tight, then twist the screws to make it nice and tight. Should make it easier to remove in the future if required.

references on the faucet:plus a couple photos of the nut removed:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	BCB419C3-F9D7-4D8E-8BE4-E6B669B86D7D.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	94026
                            Attached Files
                            Tim H.
                            2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
                            2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
                            Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
                            Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

Comment

Working...
                            X