Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasp Nest In Water Heater

We have an Imagine XLS 21BHE.

We brought our trailer back east last fall while the kids were still doing remote school. Headed back west for in-person school and I was getting ready to de-winterize. I noticed some wasps going in/out of the water heater vent. So, I guess I'll have to evict them.

Any tips? Is it safe to spray wasp killer in there if I rinse it out after? I was thinking to spray into the vent and little clasp hole when I pick up the trailer from storage. Then, drive it to where I'll de-winterize. When I get there, bang on the hatch a bit and if I don't get any activity, pop open the cover and run. If there's time before the swarm, spray the nest that I'm expecting to find. Then after a while, hose it out with a garden hose. Then proceed to dewinterize.

Any other thoughts or tales from the trenches?

Thanks!

Shop wet dry Vacuum cleaner and wasp spray. Use the vacuum to suck up the flying squatters, then use the wasp spray into the hose as you turn it off, tape the end, wait 24 hrs or longer before opening to empty.

Otherwise, try to see if the spray is flammable. I think most are not due to the way they get used around various components. If the spray is not flammable, no need to wash it out.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

What if you just fired up the water heater on propane and "burned" them out? Gets pretty hot behind the cover.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

SirCochese
        Assuming there's a nest built within the flue tube, make sure and get it all out or their may be a problem with combustion.

What exact model of water heater do you have? Below is an old Atwood but it shows the tube that all of them have (that must be clear of all obstructions).

Click image for larger version  Name:	flue tube.JPG Views:	0 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	91914
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by SirCochese View Post
          We have an Imagine XLS 21BHE.

We brought our trailer back east last fall while the kids were still doing remote school. Headed back west for in-person school and I was getting ready to de-winterize. I noticed some wasps going in/out of the water heater vent. So, I guess I'll have to evict them.

Any tips? Is it safe to spray wasp killer in there if I rinse it out after? I was thinking to spray into the vent and little clasp hole when I pick up the trailer from storage. Then, drive it to where I'll de-winterize. When I get there, bang on the hatch a bit and if I don't get any activity, pop open the cover and run. If there's time before the swarm, spray the nest that I'm expecting to find. Then after a while, hose it out with a garden hose. Then proceed to dewinterize.

Any other thoughts or tales from the trenches?

Thanks!
          Yep - same problem. I find they enter through the clasp hole. I put a piece of tape over it to close it off. They don fit through the screen. In the past I have put moth balls in the flue (in a sock I remove before use), but cant find them any more.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks, Everyone! It turned out to be a more classic-style nest (inside) attached to the side of the heat shield. I just sprayed through the screen with wasp killer before I drove it away from storage. By the time I got to my camp site, there was no action. I opened it up to find about 20 dead wasps and 20 larvae. I rinsed it out and left it to dry overnight.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. It gave me the courage to just dive in.

Comment

Working...
            X