Grey Tank Equalization concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Tank Equalization concern

Having 2ea Grey Tanks, I learned from this forum(not the owners manual) . One is for bathroom shower & sink, the second for the Kitchen sink, no cross flow between the tanks. Learning from the forum I installed a gate valve @ the end of the sewer drain. Then I should be able open to both Gray tank drain gate valves & the levels should equalized.

I tried this today & the results are not as expected, one tank was 2/3's the second was 1/3. Now, one tank indicates full & the other is empty. I don't think this is a good thing, or will the water start to fill the empty tank.

Has anyone seen this & what have you done?

Initially I wondered about the elevation of the tanks & would they be the same. My guess would be low in the frame, maybe not, maybe the bathroom is higher.

Thinking out loud if the trap for the kitchen sink is above the tank it should equalize.....me thinks
    2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
    2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
    2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

What I am thinking, and should have thought before, is that the Solitude and Momentum lines have a drop frame. The front portion of the frame, ahead of the door, is lower than the rear portion, door back and above the axles. This wold put the black and grey tank for the bathroom on a lower level than the grey tank for the kitchen. From your description I would guess that the 2/3 tank was the bath grey and the 1/3 tank was the kitchen, when you tried to equalize the bath grey became full and the kitchen grey became empty. With a standard frame or straight frame such as my Reflection fifth wheel all tanks are on the same level , as well as the TT lines, which would in theory provide for the equalization to work.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      What I am thinking, and should have thought before, is that the Solitude and Momentum lines have a drop frame. The front portion of the frame, ahead of the door, is lower than the rear portion, door back and above the axles. This wold put the black and grey tank for the bathroom on a lower level than the grey tank for the kitchen. From your description I would guess that the 2/3 tank was the bath grey and the 1/3 tank was the kitchen, when you tried to equalize the bath grey became full and the kitchen grey became empty. With a standard frame or straight frame such as my Reflection fifth wheel all tanks are on the same level , as well as the TT lines, which would in theory provide for the equalization to work.

Brian
      That makes good sense, I'm not aware of the frame & tank placement. I'm sure your description of the kitchen water moving to bathroom gray is accurate. I had not paid attention to which tank is for what, I did notice the gray valves do not indicate which tank.

So in theory as long as the sinks & shower traps/drains are above the tanks & they are, would they not equalize?
      2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
      2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

The traps would not have a bearing on tank equalization, the tanks would need to be on the same level to each other to be able to equalize. I ran water into the bath grey tank to label the pull handles for each grey tank.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The traps would not have a bearing on tank equalization, the tanks would need to be on the same level to each other to be able to equalize. I ran water into the bath grey tank to label the pull handles for each grey tank.

Brian
          I didn't phrase that they way I wanted to. What I'm wondering is if I would be OK to leave the two dump valves open, the concern would be the shower & sink draining. Because those drains/traps are higher than kitchen gray tank would the water from them migrate through they holding tank drain plumbing & fill the kitchen gray without issue?

I'm I explaining that correctly?
          2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale,

I looked at the 310 drawings we have. Although I can see the tank placement from a top view, I don't have a drawing for the side view. All three of the holding tanks are standard HT466 tanks which means they have the same dimensions which rules out different tank dimensional heights. Would it be possible for you to loosen up the underbelly to see the different locations for the tanks in relation to each other?

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Dale B Dale, the question you want answered is which tank is lower, Kitchen or Shower? Yes you can leave the valves open. Will they equalize? Not necessarily. If the shower tank bottom is higher than the kitchen tank top, the shower will overfill the kitchen. If the bottoms are the same, then they will be close or equal.

Does this explanation make sense? Remember water will always try to find the lowest point and work upward from there provided there is a path to the low point.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Dale B - I believe pengle took pictures of their 310 tank placement.....seems I saw the picture elsewhere in the last few days. Possibly you can PM them if they do not chime in.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Dale,

I looked at the 310 drawings we have. Although I can see the tank placement from a top view, I don't have a drawing for the side view. All three of the holding tanks are standard HT466 tanks which means they have the same dimensions which rules out different tank dimensional heights. Would it be possible for you to loosen up the underbelly to see the different locations for the tanks in relation to each other?

Jim
                  I'm not wanting to touch the under belly, unless I have to.
                  2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Dale B Dale, the question you want answered is which tank is lower, Kitchen or Shower? Yes you can leave the valves open. Will they equalize? Not necessarily. If the shower tank bottom is higher than the kitchen tank top, the shower will overfill the kitchen. If the bottoms are the same, then they will be close or equal.

Does this explanation make sense? Remember water will always try to find the lowest point and work upward from there provided there is a path to the low point.
                    It seems the bathroom tank is the lowest & makes sense according to my tank monitor. There would be a low point path thru the drains, valves open.
                    2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                      Dale B - I believe pengle took pictures of their 310 tank placement.....seems I saw the picture elsewhere in the last few days. Possibly you can PM them if they do not chime in.

Dan
                      Tx's for that! I will search for that latter today.
                      2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale B Dale, if both tanks valves are open along with the discharge hose hooked up and not blocked (no twist on Valtera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...refix=valterra valve closed) the system should drain and not back up into the other tank.

If you have an obstruction in the discharge line or have a reduced size discharge hose (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), you may have back up into the lower tank. This backup will drain provided the line is not blocked.

Most here will recommend not leaving any valves open as it could lead to infestation of critters through the discharge hose into the tanks or worse the inside of the camper. It is especially critical that the Black tank not be left open as solids can build up leading to issues in tank.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post

Tx's for that! I will search for that latter today.
                          I may have posted the picture on "the other forum". Here are a couple of pictures that show the orientation of the three tanks. I think the height of the tanks at the outlet end are 8 3/4". The bottom of the kitchen tank is at least 3" higher than the bath tank AND the outlet pipe from the kitchen tank is angled up ANOTHER 2". The picture of the outlet of the kitchen tank with the gate valve is deceiving because it looks like the reducer from 3" - 1 1/2" is at the top. I have another picture that shows that it is indeed oriented at the bottom of the tank opening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6082.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	92826

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6083.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	92827
                          Pat and Karen
                          2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

I would think that according to the pictures trying to equalize these tanks would lead to grey water backing up into the shower before or shortly after starting to fill the kitchen grey, there is also the vent pipe connection that would worry me as a possible leaking area. I think that this is not a good idea to try to equalize these grey tanks.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would think that according to the pictures trying to equalize these tanks would lead to grey water backing up into the shower before or shortly after starting to fill the kitchen grey, there is also the vent pipe connection that would worry me as a possible leaking area. I think that this is not a good idea to try to equalize these grey tanks.

Brian
                              Your thought process is the title of my thread & the reason I've brought it up @pengle your photo's are worth a thousand words & helps visualize the risk factor of leaving the two gate valves open.

Necking that 3" drain down to 1.5" is the one that concerns me when the full bath tank attempts to drain back & up into the kitchen tank.

I have the valves open right now, I may just & run the shower & see if I can get a reading on the Kitchen gray. My guess is that yes the shower will begin to back up @ which point I will stop, then slowly the levels will equalize. That 3" drain to 1.5" is what will slow the process down....me thinks.
                              2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Working...
                              X