Winterizing when using year round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing when using year round?

My partner and I use our 2600RB once a month (sometimes twice) all year long.
    1. How can I protect my trailer from freezing temps when it's in my driveway? I don't want to flush it all out with anti-freeze when we use it so much. We do leave it plugged in 24/7.
    2. Any other maintenance items I should worry about in our situation?
    Appreciate any advice!

EDIT: Wanted to add that I live in Pacific Northwest. It freezes at night, but rarely during the day (December is 36-47 F average)
    Last edited by jimgoings; 08-17-2022, 12:20 PM.

There are lots of theories on "sufficient" winterizing . . . that will leave you laying awake at night wondering if blowing out the lines was sufficient or if you have enough heat in the right places in the RV to prevent a line from freezing. The cost of electric or propane heat is something to consider. Winterizing with antifreeze takes about 5 minutes and $5 once you have done it a few times (leave the water heater on bypass). When you want to use the RV, flush the antifreeze into your tanks . . . this takes another 5 minutes . . . and you are ready to go camping. As long as you are not planning to drink the water from your RV system, a small trace of non-toxic antifreeze will never be noticed. This is the lowest cost and lowest stress plan (in my opinion).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There are several options. As mentioned by Rob, once you get good at the winterization process, using the low point drains with a valve vs screw on caps you should be able to recover 90% or more of the antifreeze.

Secondly you could pressurize the system, pressurized water freezes at a lower temp.

You could mix up a saltwater solution and use that vs antifreeze (easy to flush out), again lowers freezing temps.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I use the method Cate&Rob mentioned. In the PNW was well, but Bend can get well into the single digits. I have 3 gallons of RV antifreeze in there front storage bay for when it turns cold this fall.

Keep in mind, if you have them Furrion tankless water heater do NOT bypass the heater when adding the anti freeze at the Nautilus panel. Need antifreeze in the heater.

We don't drink the water, and have had no issues with clearing the antifreeze from them lines quickly when using again.
        Mike and Rebecca
        2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
        2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

I also have this question. My wife uses our 260rb and we have it set up and move it every 3 months. She is coming home for a week and the temp is supposed to go into the 20s. We normally turn off the water and water heater during normal weather and she comes home (otherwise we leave it hooked up). So far for winter this year we have done the following:

1. Skirted with tarp.
          2. Heated camco hose.
          3. Heat tape on our pressure regulator and hose connection, insulated and covered.
          4. 100watt lightbulb on a smart plug in the passthru.
          5. Flood and freeze sensor in the pass thru and under the bathroom sink (both are linked through our pepwave to notifiy.
          6. Added a 40lb propane tank along with our 2 20# tanks (the 40 and a 20 are hooked up with another 20 to attach to simplify filling.

When she leaves this week I had planned the following:

1. Turn off the water at supply from campsite.
          2. Set furnace to 60
          3. Leave the electric on for the water heater

Obviously, there are better ways to do this and there are issues if power is lost etc. My big concern is leaving the hot water heater on (not drained). I am thinking in theory this is perfectly fine as long as water is in the tank. I am not there and my wife is not going to go out and drain a hot water tank before she leaves or I would just do this and turn it off.

The theory is, nothing should freeze since the camper is just sitting there with heated underbelly and with the main water shut off, if something froze, there would not be "big" water damage or a leak.

Just wanting someone's 2c on the water heater issue for a 6 gal suburban...

My other question is, what would be the issue with putting 5 or 6 gallons of rv antifreeze in the fresh tank and just using the pump to send it through the system and then flush it out when she comes back? (antifreeze through the hot water tank and lines etc?

Comment

Originally posted by jimgoings View Post
            (December is 36-47 F average)
            I'm usually the outlier here...but with those temps I wouldn't even bother with antifreeze or blowing out. I'd just leave it. RV plumbing it a lot more tolerable of freezing temps than household copper plumbing.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Dmc112 I can't address your questions on the WH, we have been tankless from the start. Did want to suggest that since you're turning off the water, why not go ahead and open the low point drains and then leave a faucet or two open. Justification is that if there is an extended power outage where the 260RB is sitting the water left in the lines may freeze, but the open faucets will help prevent pressure increase in the system (gives the unfrozen water and the air in the pipes someplace safe to go).
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
              X