Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a check valve on the shower drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a check valve on the shower drain?

On our recent trip, we had an incident where the water was backing up into the bathroom sink. The bathroom gray sensor was not reading full, but by equalizing the bathroom and kitchen grays, the water level receded as expected. What surprised me though was that water was coming up into the bathroom sink and not the shower, which is at a much lower drain point.

I would not expect there to be, but is there a check valve in the shower drain or something that would have caused this behavior?
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Sierra Denali 1500

uwskier -- the black tank is directly under the toilet. The gray tank for the shower and lav are fwd of the black. I suspect the plumbing from the shower to the tank is longer than to the sink to the tank. (But that is just informed speculation.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Some showers have a duckbill rubber device rather than. P-trap. I’d suspect it could act as a check valve under low pressure conditions.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I have the same bathroom sink backing up before the shower. In my previous rig the shower backed up before the sink did. I have only one gray tank for the bathroom and no equalizing connection to the galley gray. So far I live with it and not tried to solve it. Does the shower have sanitary valve(I forget its actual name) instead of a p-trap?
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

HEPVO trap.

Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I think there's a standard trap in there. I can pull the access panel next time I'm in there and have a look.
            2022 Imagine 2600RB
            2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

uwskier TedS

I pulled the drawing set for the 2600RB, and it shows a standard trap, not a HEPVO. But you never know what kind of changes could be in an individual rig with all the supply chain issues they had over the last couple of years.

​​​​​​​Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
              X