Pex Crimp Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex Crimp Removal

Looking through different posts on Pex and soft hose as I really don't like the off-brand soft hose so am reading through some great information - but haven't seen the removal method I would up using mentioned so thought I'd share it. (apologies if it's been shared and I missed it!)

Using a small pair of dikes I pried where the outer ring locks onto the inner ring which then allowed me to then unwind the overlapping ring and free the fitting from the hose. Did have to use a razor knife to get the soft hose off of the fitting. Definitely like that it's pretty gentle on the fitting. Picture below with a new & "unwrapped" crimp band.
    Hope this helps!
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

TheNescios

Chris,

That is the way to do it. Be careful when using the razor knife so you do not score the plastic fitting when cutting the soft hose, if you do this may be a leaking area when the pex is applied.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Chris,

I found that the end cutting tool (very similar to the tool in your picture) worked better than the side cutting version for unwrapping the clamps. See post 9 in this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-advise-needed To avoid scoring the plastic fitting with the knife, cut the hoses near the fitting and once removed, heat the hose with a heat gun to remove it from the fitting . . , or, just replace the fitting with a better quality brass one. Bought in bulk from Amazon, the fittings and clamps are inexpensive. Look for stainless steel clamps.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Brian,
        Agreed - but I used to cut the sheathing off of Romex wires with both Klein stripping tools and razor knives and got pretty good with razor knives to avoid hurting the copper wires - key is to be patient and gentle.

Rob,
        The tool looks cool, but when I looked into it seems like it would be a single function tool and there are only so many tools I can pack along with me plus it seems like it would put a lot of stress on the fitting and I'm still new to Pex fittings so being a bit cautious?
        Chris
        2019 Solitude 3740BH
        2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
          Brian,
          Agreed - but I used to cut the sheathing off of Romex wires with both Klein stripping tools and razor knives and got pretty good with razor knives to avoid hurting the copper wires - key is to be patient and gentle.

Rob,
          The tool looks cool, but when I looked into it seems like it would be a single function tool and there are only so many tools I can pack along with me plus it seems like it would put a lot of stress on the fitting and I'm still new to Pex fittings so being a bit cautious?
          The tool Rob mentioned Cate&Rob is actually the preferred PVC crimp orientation tool and can crimp as well as cut - just depends on the pressure. I prefer his style as it gives better leverage and even crimp/cut, especially when working with PVC irrigation pipe bands (3/4" to 3"). It can crimp well and if necessary remove the bands in case you make an error - but I never do that I actually carry both in my tool box as you never know the space you have to get to the band.

Trying to help
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have found the easiest way to remove the PEX crimps is with a Dremel rotary tool and cutoff wheel. Two advantages of this is that you can get into pretty tight spaces and it doesn't stress the plastic fitting. If you take care, you can cut the crimp without damaging the hose although you would probably want to trim the hose back an inch or so before applying a new crimp anyway.
            -
            Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
            2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
            2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
            Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Working...
            X