SeeLevel II Tank Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeeLevel II Tank Sensors

I installed the Garnet SeeLevel II tank sensors on our rig because I cannot deal with the stock sensors and not really knowing what my tank levels are. The old adage of just ignoring the stock sensors due to inaccuracy doesn't work for my brain; except maybe it does because now that I have the SeeLevel system I really do ignore them!

I purchased the system from RV Upgrades and was very happy with the entire process. A word to anyone looking to purchase, don't do what I did and just order without considering the size of tank sensors you need. It says pretty clearly on their website that there are 3 options of sensors (I believe they are 6", 12" and 18") and that you should indicate which you need. You can cut the longer sensors down to fit but you lose resolution by doing so, so having the smallest possible to give full measurement is ideal. For the short, flat, and wide tanks in my rig the 6" Junior sensors were ideal (I think my black and both greys are 6" tall and the fresh is 7" tall). I originally ordered without specifying and then got sent larger sensors. I had to email their customer service to return the larger sensors and get junior replacements, which was great of them to help correct my mistake, but giving that word of caution for others to figure out which would work best for you before ordering.

The kit comes with a display screen, a small wire harness with leads for the display, and then sensors with wires attached. I borrowed ncitro's idea and ordered a second display so that I could mount one inside for regular camp use and a second screen in the wet bay so that I could watch levels when filling/dumping/flushing tanks. In addition to what comes with the kit, you need to provide enough wiring to make runs between the sensors, display, and 12v power. The sensors have 2 wires on them, and you can wire all of them in a daisy chain, one to the next. They are differentiated by the board based on some notches on the sensors themselves, where you literally cut them with scissors in certain spots to break a connection and indicate to the board which tank it is connected to; the manual does a great job explaining how to make these cuts for the specific kit you buy. The 2 conductor wire that runs from the sensors then connects to the display which has 3 wires; the 3rd wire along with one of the 2 which connected to the sensors then runs to a 12v power source, which I made a dedicated run to my DC Sub Panel so I could fuse this line on it's own. I made a very crude schematic in paint that probably visually explains the wiring better than my jumble of words there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	schem.png Views:	8 Size:	9.1 KB ID:	94713

Now that we know conceptually how to the system is setup and installs, the physical installation is the next step. It seems way more intimidating than it is, and honestly the most difficult part of this project is taking down the coroplast underbelly and then putting it back up. For installing the sensors themselves you just drop the coroplast and find your tanks. You may need to do a little critical thinking to figure out which tank is actually which when it comes to your RV layout. Look at where the plumbing pipes feed into the tank to help make this determination. For my 303, the black tank was directly under the bathroom so that the toilet could feed straight down into it. The grey and galley were off the the sides slightly but you could clearly see one had a pipe feeding from under the bathroom where the other inlet pipe was coming from the kitchen area. Finally the fresh was the easiest to identify as it was a white/clear tank by the axles whereas the other 3 were all black plastic underneath the front basement/bathroom area. Once you identify which tank is which, and make the cuts on the board to indicate which sensor goes on which tank, then find the flattest possible spot on the side of the tank (tougher than it sounds) and simply stick the sensor on. I found that it was easiest to connect the sensor wire, then mount the sensor, and tuck excess wiring in the underbelly.

As for aligning the sensors to the tank, if you have more tank space than sensor (my fresh tank is 7" tall and the sensor is 6" tall) then I found it's best to align the bottom of the sensor to the bottom of the tank. This means you will have a gap at the top where there will be tank space not covered in sensor. Functionally this means the SeeLevel will read 100% for the first few gallons of fresh water used, until it gets low enough to start the sensor being able to read the level going down. This means your percentage is not a true percentage but it's still a gauge that you can monitor and when you get to zero, you will be truly empty. If you prefer to align the top of the sensor to the top of the tank in a situation where the tank is bigger than the sensor then you will likely have an accurate 100% indicator but your sensor will display 0% when you still have water available. This is entirely preference on which metric you would rather use. Alternatively you could ask for 1 longer sensor and cut it down to fit exactly, just know you'll lose some sensor resolution and that tradeoff was not worth it in my opinion.

For the displays, they have a back plate that is held on by 3 small screws and protects the board. I chose to unscrew the back plate and use that to trace a square to cut where I wanted the panel, then cut holes and mounted the board right in. This was the easiest part of the install.

Below are a bunch of pics from the job. I know there are a few others with this system that are happy to answer questions, but I've been extremely happy with this so far and definitely recommend it for those that like to know the status of their tanks beyond a mysterious "somewhere between empty and full, maybe?"
    Last edited by howson; 09-13-2022, 12:52 PM.
    David and Deana
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220717_163208.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	94715

Name:	20220717_173158.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	94716

Name:	20220717_170915.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	94717

Name:	20220717_172244.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	94718

Name:	20220717_172257.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	94719

David and Deana

Comment

Name:	20220717_174015.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	94721

Name:	20220717_120505.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	94722

Name:	20220717_121646.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	94723

Name:	20220717_124823.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	94724

Name:	20220717_130648.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	94725

David and Deana

Comment

Name:	20220717_130012.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	94727

Name:	20220717_191646.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	94728

Name:	20220717_182122.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	94729
        David and Deana

Comment

WondersAwait -- superb documentation, David. Adding to the mod list (which I'm woefully behind in updating).

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think I found a hack where this can go thru the cerbo and be displayed on the touch 50, I will try to find that later.
            Great job, I think I will be doing this thru the winter.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I saw a similar thing where it can be displayed on a Victron interface, which looks awesome, but I had already bought my displays and wanted to get it installed and working ASAP. If I were more patient I would absolutely try to get it on my Cerbo, but oh well. If you, or anyone else, gets that mod done please post how it goes.
              David and Deana

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                I think I found a hack where this can go thru the cerbo and be displayed on the touch 50, I will try to find that later.
                Great job, I think I will be doing this thru the winter.

Brian
                There may be others but this is the only way that I know of:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...9328#post89328

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2267.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	94842
                The small selector switch next to the generator panel switches between the 2 gray tanks
                Jim & Heidi
                2021 Solitude 375RES-r
                2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Originally posted by JRKJR View Post

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2267.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	94842
                  The small selector switch next to the generator panel switches between the 2 gray tanks
                  Won't the Victron GX Tank 140 work with this, or are the sensors not compatible?
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

JRKJR

That is the one I remember finding, too busy last night to look it up, thanks for posting this and the link to your post.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Won't the Victron GX Tank 140 work with this, or are the sensors not compatible?
                      As I understand it the sensors the seelevel uses are not compatible with victron equipment.

The one system that works from seelevel, the sensors run to the seelevel monitor and the seelevel monitor has a N2K network port on the back which can be adapted to a cerbo then to the touch 50 with a custom patch cord.

I can't say that there are any other workarounds but I searched for months, read about others using victron compatible sensors, monitored the victron forums, etc. IMO this is best way currently (that I am aware of) to both have accurate readings (Seelevel seems to be the best on the market) and also get it to display on a touch 50
                      Jim & Heidi
                      2021 Solitude 375RES-r
                      2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Hi, We bought a 2022 22MLE and I want to install these sensors. The problem is I am new with RVs and haven't been able to find any videos on how to drop the belly on my trailer and I really don't want to screw up my trailer. Has anyone found an email address to send GD a message? I want to know the tank heights before buying anything.

Thanks,

Jay.
                        Last edited by JayJJ; 10-02-2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I can almost assure you that your tanks will do best with the junior sensors.

In order to install them yourself you will need to drop your underbelly which requires unscrewing some 5/16" (probably) bolts that hold it up. It's not a complicated job but does require getting into the rig. Good luck, take your time, and have fun.
                          David and Deana

Comment

Originally posted by JRKJR View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2267.jpg Views:	84 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	94842
                            The MODA sensors by Tankedge also work with the CERBO and GX Tank. I have installed one on my fresh tank and find after calibration, it is accurate to within a half gallon or so on an 80 gallon tank.
                            I haven't got around to doing my other tanks yet as they are a supreme PITA to get to and we pretty much know how full they are by how they react when we add stuff to them. One day though....
                            The sensors are at https://tankedge.com/accessories.html
                            They do need a regulated 10-12V supply so just feeding them off the battery won't work. A simple and cheap 10V regulator available off Amazon worked well though.
                            -Rob-

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 7.20.03 PM.png
Views:	388
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	95979
                            Last edited by KamFlyer; 10-02-2022, 09:21 PM.
                            -
                            Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                            2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                            2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                            Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by WondersAwait View Post
                              I can almost assure you that your tanks will do best with the junior sensors.

In order to install them yourself you will need to drop your underbelly which requires unscrewing some 5/16" (probably) bolts that hold it up. It's not a complicated job but does require getting into the rig. Good luck, take your time, and have fun.
                              Thanks!! I know I have to get into the underbelly, I was just hoping I could find more refs, maybe a video or two that's all.

J

Comment

Working...
                              X