Going Tankless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Tankless

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tankless water heater to install in my Solitude ? I would want to keep it both electric and gas as it is that way today.

Hi Michael,

You will not likely find an electric tankless water heater. The energy demand is just too great for electric to supply without a substantial upsizing of your trailer electrical system. You will have to go to propane only if you want an "on demand" water heater.

ncitro Neil has had a good experience with Truma (he will be along shortly with more details). Grand Design uses the Furrion brand and there have been issues with those, although their latest re-design is reported to be better.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

2022 303rls
      i recently took out the Furrion and replaced with a Truma due to cold weather protection the Truma offers. If you need a tankless with the best freeze protection, it’s Truma. If you use and live in a mild climate Furrion would be fine.
      Rod

Comment

Michael Berens Yes I’m very happy with my Truma. About a Year and a half now and we love It. Great mix of small tank that’s kept warm all the time for immediate hot water with tankless for higher use needs. I have no complaints at all.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

What does swapping in a tankless water heater do for you?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Went with a Suburban Nautilus IW60 back in 2018. Propane with freeze protection, but no reserve tank. Have switched out the control pad once and flushed with viniger a couple of times (hard water buildup effects the sail switch operation), but no other problems.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I have a https://flowpur.com/collections/rv-pro-10-000 that gets put on the camper wherever we park. Might be overkill, but anything to keep the tankless and other fixtures "happy".
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                What does swapping in a tankless water heater do for you?
                In our particular case, when on full hookups (most of the winter) we get unlimited hot water, nice for long showers for my wife, and when my son was younger also filling his tub. Also means we can back dishes up with showers, which while easy to plan around is a nice convenience. When we dry camp (we do a lot of this the rest of the year) it uses less propane (at the expense of not having an electric mode). Also in the case of Truma specifically (I do not have much experience with the other brands) their "electric anti freeze" option is a 12v element installed in the tank. When this mode is selected it is run along with the internal circulation pump to keep the unit above freezing. This is phenomenal (and imo the way all of them should operate) for driving through cold weather without having to run it on gas and/or worry about the propane burner having blown out. It pairs excellently with our DC to DC charger, so we do not need to worry about the additional draw while towing.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Both our GD trailers (2600RB and current 337RLS) have had the 6 gallon gas/electric water heaters. We use ours on electric almost all the time and have been very happy with the performance. By the time the first person is done showering and finished up in the bathroom the second person can take theirs without running out of hot water, we use an Oxygenics shower head also. A couple of times when we were pressed for time we have turned the gas and electric on and that worked very well.
                  I keep asking myself what would the advantages be if we had tankless and I really dont see it for us. Two negatives would be not being able to use electricity and the increased complexity of winterizing. I have a hose on the drain with a 1/4 turn valve that makes it super easy to drain.
                  Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

x2 on familytruckster4 perspective. Most of our water heating is electric and that works well for us. We often travel in sub freezing weather between parks with electric connection. The heat in 6 gallons of hot water means that we don’t need to worry about freezing an on-demand propane fuelled water heater while we travel.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Same for us. If we are on a site with AC we heat our water on the campgrounds dime. We have never ran out of hot water where its possible to run both AC and Propane for fast recovery should we want a longer shower with full hook up. The legacy stuff just works.

Jim

Comment

IIRC on both of our previous units with tanked dual heating units, the manual stated you could use both at the same time. One manual even had heating rates for electric, LP, and both listed. For both it was something like 17 gal per hour. So a completely cold tank could be heated in about 20 minutes, showering and using both you should be able to maintain hot water (unless someone is not water conscious).
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X