Using water pump with dry fresh tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using water pump with dry fresh tank

Is it permissible to use the pump when using the shower even if the fresh tank has no water in it? Never considered it until now.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

The pump draws from the fresh tank, with no water there it "should" not work. Running the pump dry may damage it over time.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I assume you mean use the pump in addition to a city water hookup and no water in the tank. The answer is no. With the nautilus panel set to city water, the pump is valved off.

Comment

If the Transcend is plumbed similar to the Imagine, I believe it may be possible to operate the pump along with the city water where the pump has a check valve to prevent backflow from the city water. The city water side also has a backflow preventer and you may have another at the tap. The tank must have enough water in it for the pump to operate.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I have had the freshwater tank fill to overflowing twice in the past 2 years. I believe it has to do with the valve that switches from city to fresh. Not sure why but it corrects itself. This last time we used the pump to lower the fresh tank level and liked the added water pressure thus the reason for my question.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Can I ask why you want to? I'm not clear on what you are trying to accomplish. I have run mine dry form time to time..left on and running for three hours once. It doesn't damage it...but it doesn't do anything either.

EDIT....Whoops...you posted the answer to my question while I was typing...
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Both city water and pump output feed the water distribution plumbing in the trailer. Sources “in parallel”. Water system pressure would be the greater of the two, but they would not add together as if the sources were “in series”. It is possible that water volume would be greater at that pressure, from the two sources. If the valving allows this, I don’t see why this would be a problem . . . but, I do not recall anyone accomplishing this before.

Edit: WRT the original title . . . this is not going to work with an empty water tank.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

If the pump is setup to draw from the city water connection (like when in winterize mode or tank fill mode), would it not get it's source water from the hose bib instead. I think he wants to use the city water with the pump to increase pressure.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  If the pump is setup to draw from the city water connection (like when in winterize mode or tank fill mode), would it not get it's source water from the hose bib instead. I think he wants to use the city water with the pump to increase pressure.
                  That is what I would like to do but I don't want to fill the fresh tank to do it.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

This would be worth a try to see if it works, it would be interesting to know system pressure drop when the shower is turned on. (System pressure gauge). This would help us to understand whether the problem is pressure or volume.
                    Interesting idea . . .

One potential problem might be the pressure switch in the pump. If system pressure stays above this set point with the shower operating, the pump will shut off.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The pump draws solely from the tank on our Imagine.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

The pump draws solely from the tank on our Imagine.

Jim
                        Ya, Bill is getting two types of opinions..from those with a nautilus panel and those without. Transcend's and Imagines have the better setup imo...
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

If the desire is to have higher pressure when on city water, presumably with a pressure reducing valve in line, wouldn't an adjustable PRV fill the need?
                          John
                          2018 Momentum 395M
                          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Water flows from higher pressure to low. If the pump delivers water at a pressure lower than city pressure, the pump will not run (the pressure switch will keep it off). There’s no point in trying. If the pump’s pressure is higher than city pressure, the two pressures will not add, and you might as well just use the pump for its pressure, but the fresh tank has to have water in it. As for using an adjustable pressure regulator, you cannot adjust it to get more pressure than the city supply pressure. If you have the typical non-adjustable regulator, it likely delivers water at 35-40 psi.
                            2022 3100RD
                            2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                            Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Working...
                            X