Furrion tankless water heater retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion tankless water heater retrofit

I'm not sure this was posted anywhere else, if so I apologize.
    I have been in touch with GD and Furrion on use below 39 deg and above 4500' and have a response. The freeze protection retrofit is a new control board that is suppose to offer freeze protection. The email I received is below. I called and found out the cost is $103.95. I asked for specifics which those I spoke to did not know. I replied to the email asking specifics of how it works or what it does to keep it freeze protected and to now what temps it is rated.

EMAIL response from Furrion
    For the elevation you may expect a derating at elevations above 4,500ft and you can use the knob on the unit to adjust flow rate down so that the water comes through the unit at a slower rate and has more time to heat. We don't recommend use over 10,000ft. For use in temps below 39 degrees there is a control board with freeze protection to can purchase and replace your current one. You can order that part through Lippert using item number 2022006595. Their number is 574-537-8900.

My questions I have asked waiting on response:
    Specific questions are what temp is it now rated to?
    What actually does the board turn on to keep it freeze protected?
    What is difficulty of installation?
    Any other pertinent information?

I for one am happy with the altitude answer and solution. Have not tried yet but seems user friendly and planned for if it works. Just wish it was more clear in the manuals. GD response to this question was..well.. lacking quoting a section of the tank water heater. To me this was doom and gloom answer stating that the tankless would have to have orifices changed (derating). Furrion seems to have a better answer. And for what it is worth I was at higher elevations past summer and did not seem to have any issues with hot water (did not adjust the knob) although it was constantly in the 90's during the day so did not require extremely hot water. I am sure many have had similar experiences. I doubt I will ever be above 10k feet elevation for any length of time .

Will keep posting what I find out. ​

SATA Adventurers
    Steve and Tina
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Thanks for sharing the info. I am sure there will be lots of owners wanting information on the new control board if you go that route. I think the new board will have the heater come on to keep the temp above freezing, maybe 40 degrees or so. The reason that I say that is because there are some other brands that use that similar set up so the burner self ignites to prevent freezing, Gerard is one I think.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

SATA Adventures, so the new board turns on the burner once the temp of the water in the tankless hits 43 degrees. It stays on until temps hit a set point, but that set point is not clear. So I have been camping below 32 and so far the water in the tankless has not gone below 62, because of the location of my furnace (303). The new manual doesn't really talk about a limit to the temp, but it does say that once in storage or transportation, you need to winterize.

In terms of install, I was told it is long due to the wire configuration.
      We live to serve our two Golder Retrievers
      2022 Reflection 303RLS
      2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

I received the following from Furrion tech support regarding the board replacement. My specific questions were: Specific questions are what temp is it now rates to?
        What actually does the board turn on to keep it freeze protected?
        What is difficulty of installation?
        Any other pertinent information?​

Furrion Customer Service via d5nutt1a09to.i-aihweae.na161.bnc.salesforce.com
        Sat, Oct 15, 9:48 PM (2 days ago)
        to me
        It will start the burner whenever the temperature falls below 38°F and will automatically shut off when it senses a temperature in excess of 58°F. It is still not recommended for extremely cold temps. Replacing the control board is not a difficult task, it is held on by a few screws.​

Regarding Grand Design response to the replacement board:
        We can only go off of what Furrion is recommending, therefore I would not have any additional details to add.

As for the circuit board, that does not make up the entirety of the arctic package that you are referring to. The product in question is a Furrion water heater, if you are looking to upgrade your water heater board to the anti-freeze, I would recommend consulting with Furrion on the coverage. Grand Design cannot account for every owner when it comes to camping in colder temperatures.

Hope this helps the forum. I will probably purchase the board but not sure if I will actually get to use it this fall / winter here in the soon to be north wet part of the US (Western WA area ) .

SATA Adventurers
        Steve and Tina
        2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

I wonder when they will start adding this new revised board to their current inventory or new models? I just picked up my 2022 GD Reflection 303 RLS last Thursday and I'm guessing that it doesn't have the new board. I will give them a call and get one coming I guess. I can post some pics and thoughts on the repair for everyone......
          40-year Camping Enthusiast
          2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post
            I wonder when they will start adding this new revised board to their current inventory or new models? I just picked up my 2022 GD Reflection 303 RLS last Thursday and I'm guessing that it doesn't have the new board. I will give them a call and get one coming I guess. I can post some pics and thoughts on the repair for everyone......
            Pics and lessons-learned are always welcome. That's the power of an owners forum--sharing information.

To your first query, I'm not sure when (or if!) the changeover to "V2" or whatever they are calling the updated heater with the new control board.

Forgive the soapbox, but I still find it interesting that the solution to cold weather scenarios is running the propane water heater. A quick check of your owner's manual will reveal that it is recommended to NOT run propane while towing. It's an old argument since the same could be said about absorption refrigerators running on propane while towing, so it's my guess that owners will ignore (or won't know about) the issue. I guess time will tell if there's any unanticipated consequences.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson I totally agree that towing with propane on is a complete different issue that is a concern. Not sure how yet to conquer that mountain without addl mods. I did see in my research that the Fugotti (pretty sure it was this one and not one of the others) does the same thing of firing up the heater to a certain point. I am not sure about others.

I just ordered the board and of course there was a price hike on 10/15... $110.95.

I was told by the rep., as I was bemoaning the situation that I was given a bad heater from the start and now have to pay addl for the board, that future coaches would have the board. She was not certain either as to when that would start. So no help other than confirming what was already noted.

I will be adding pics and such as I go through the upgrade if no one has yet done that when I get it and start the project.
              SATA Adventurers
              Steve and Tina
              2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by SATA Adventures View Post
                I'm not sure this was posted anywhere else, if so I apologize.
                I have been in touch with GD and Furrion on use below 39 deg and above 4500' and have a response. The freeze protection retrofit is a new control board that is suppose to offer freeze protection. The email I received is below. I called and found out the cost is $103.95. I asked for specifics which those I spoke to did not know. I replied to the email asking specifics of how it works or what it does to keep it freeze protected and to now what temps it is rated.

EMAIL response from Furrion
                For the elevation you may expect a derating at elevations above 4,500ft and you can use the knob on the unit to adjust flow rate down so that the water comes through the unit at a slower rate and has more time to heat. We don't recommend use over 10,000ft. For use in temps below 39 degrees there is a control board with freeze protection to can purchase and replace your current one. You can order that part through Lippert using item number 2022006595. Their number is 574-537-8900.

Just an FYI I used my Furrion thankless water heater all summer long at elevations around 6000 feet and had no issues. I didn't have to adjust the flow rate. I call it thankless due to the cold weather issue. For now I will put a 40 watt light bulb inside the outer heater compartment when temps get below freezing. If it gets below 25 I'm not rving!
                Tony
                2022 GD Reflection 337RLS
                2022 Ford F350 6.7 SRW LB

Comment

My solution was to remove the Junk Furrion and put in a Truma Comfort Plus with the 12v DC option for freeze protection. The Truma is a far better unit and performs far superior to the factory junk..
                  I also installed a by pass kit, the complete change over was easy. I used the same hole in my 303rls for the control and only had to buy some fittings for the bypass. I do have an almost new Furrion for
                  Sale!!

Comment

I did not consider it, but this past year we camped at Jellystone Estes Park and also Cripple Creek, both in Colorado. Both are well above 5,000 ft and had no issues with the On Demand HWH from Furrion. Temps hovered around the 35F and up mark.

Jellystone Park of Estes Park at 7,800 feet and to the Cripple Creek KOA at 10,000 feet (https://rvbusiness.com/colorados-hig...-grand-vistas/)
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by old brown View Post
                      My solution was to remove the Junk Furrion and put in a Truma Comfort Plus with the 12v DC option for freeze protection. The Truma is a far better unit and performs far superior to the factory junk..
                      I also installed a by pass kit, the complete change over was easy. I used the same hole in my 303rls for the control and only had to buy some fittings for the bypass. I do have an almost new Furrion for
                      Sale!!
                      I installed the same unit two years ago and it's been amazing. The electric "antifreeze" kit paired with a DC to DC charger is the perfect way to handle transiting through cold temps in my opinion.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

​I received the board today. When speaking with a tech at Furrion/Lippert they told me is was an easy job just a couple of screws. Well, it was a bit more involved but I was able to accomplish the removal and install in about 15 mins. I will document the process I used.

1 - unwrapped the unit, came in a sturdy box with a good bubble wrap inside of a plastic bag. I felt it was pretty secured shipping.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20221027_114311.jpg
Views:	2746
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	98444
                        ​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20221027_114418.jpg
Views:	2286
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	98445

2 - disconnected battery just in case from the trailer, removed shore power
                        3 - opened up the water heater from the outside.
                        4 - There are 4 ​screws that need to be removed from the existing board, 2 top and 2 bottom. ​ Also 1 ground screw (yellow w green strip wire).

Name:	20221027_154707 (2).jpg
Views:	2410
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	98446

From here I made the decision that I was gong to remove the cap off the old control box and see if I could remove the existing harnesses. This is with 4 tabs on the box lid. You can also see in the pic where I circled a twist type kind of wire holding the power cords. You can see all kinds of wires going into the water heater on the right side of the box. This is what 'encouraged' me to see if harnesses could be removed vs. having to break deeper into the water heater. That may have been a show stopper for me.

Name:	20221027_155109 (2).jpg
Views:	2320
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	98447

Next post with more steps. ​
                        Last edited by SATA Adventures; 10-28-2022, 09:14 PM.
                        SATA Adventurers
                        Steve and Tina
                        2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

​Installation continued:

5 - with the box opened I could see the harnesses easily are removable. Need skinny fingers .

Name:	20221027_155550 (2).jpg
Views:	2326
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	98450

The top box is labeled old or existing control panel, bottom is the new one. I could see no difference between the two.

I removed the harnesses from the new box first, not sure it matters but I had photos to back me up on placement of the harnesses. After removing a harness from old I would put it on new. Simple process that needs little explanation.

You can see the ground wire and the harness going into the back of water heater on pic below on the bottom, On thing that was a little difficult is the red wire on the right side of the control box that is not on a harness. The middle pic shows the red wire connected to the black one with the blue sleeve protector. You have to trace that and separate from a black wire that are sheathed together with a connector inside. They were not heat shrunk or anything just a little tight. I did not shrink them either when replacing.

Name:	20221027_160747 (2).jpg
Views:	2371
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	98448 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221027_160107.jpg
Views:	2349
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	98449
                          Continued:
                          ​​​
                          Last edited by SATA Adventures; 10-28-2022, 09:25 PM.
                          SATA Adventurers
                          Steve and Tina
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

continued from above:

6 - after the harnesses and wires were connected I removed the tubes from the new and reused the ones from the old board connecting them back on the new board. The far end goes into the water heater somewhere so keep track of which goes on top and which goes on bottom. I guess you have to look at the board comparison pic above to see the tube in the upper right side of the control board. These feed through the cap or lid of the box.

Name:	20221027_160753 (2).jpg
Views:	2277
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	98452

7 - Re-inspect to make sure all is correct and tight. Replace the lid (I used the old one as it had a diagram on it for wiring and such that the new box lid did not have).

Name:	20221027_161453.jpg
Views:	2532
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	98451
                            8 - simple reinstallation and dressing of wires. From this pic it looks like I could do a little more dressing.

9 - Turn up and test. Reconnected battery, turned on water pump, and ran a faucet to ensure the water was heating.

Final thinking.
                            The install was not bad but was not really prepared for having to remove and replace harnesses. Overall though that was easier than replacing all the wiring internally. It did go together pretty quick. I would say 20 mins.
                            EDIT: I was thinking I should mark on the cover plate of the control box what board is on the inside to avoid some future confusion.

A question I still do not know is when is this active and how it really operates. Does the control panel in the bathroom need to be on? or will it fire up when that is off and the unit is turned on at the water heater? They say it kicks on at 38degrees and heats water to ~58degrees then turns off. I have not been able to test that and probably won't now this year. Probably going to have to wait till spring. Might use it with guests at Christmas time and if I do will report back when I have experienced it cycle.

Let me know if you have any questions.
                            Last edited by SATA Adventures; 10-28-2022, 09:30 PM.
                            SATA Adventurers
                            Steve and Tina
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

SATA Adventures

The pictures that you posted are very tiny when viewed, maybe just my computer.

This is a great write up and glad that you took this on. I hope you can do some testing to let others know how it works, there is probably lots of owners who will want to do this.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X