No announcement yet.

Water Filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never had issues with park water anywhere over the years except for one park in Saskatchewan just west of Saskatoon. Water tasted like dust.

But with retirement and increased travel, I think this will be a mod to do in the not too distant future. Thanks for the ideas Rob, and Rob.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Guest Hi Jim,

We chose the iSpring three filter system. This is the same filtration that they use with their RO system. We didn’t go RO because of the excessive water usage. See https://www.123filter.com/ac/ for their filtration specs. The only way to really “know” what filtration you need would be with a supply water test. All I can say is that the water at our Florida location is tested and declared “safe” by the municipality. It still has objectionable taste and odour (to us . . . although many here drink it as-is). This filtration removes the taste and odour.

I have no doubt that the Rainfresh system mentioned by Calbar Rob would do the same thing.

Rob
      Rob,

We have municipal water at our new to us home. Its about 20 miles as the crow flies from the Davis Besse nuclear plant. I was pleased to see the RO system we use could filter out nuclear material. Unlikely to happen but if there is a spill, the goal is to dilute it with enough water to meet acceptable requirements. Lake Erie can easily accommodate that. Scary. Agree RO is just too wasteful for RV use where even the newer high efficiency models still use a lot of water at around 2:1. When we moved from Michigan with a well, we could not drink the city water here in Ohio. Was like drinking gasoline to us. Lol.
      My Son in law and daughter own a water filtration company in Michigan where they have provided us with a massive carbon whole house filter (way too large for RV) and the RO.

I like your iSpring. Is it available in the US?

Happy Drinking!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        I never had issues with park water anywhere over the years except for one park in Saskatchewan just west of Saskatoon. Water tasted like dust.

But with retirement and increased travel, I think this will be a mod to do in the not too distant future. Thanks for the ideas Rob, and Rob.
        A lovely park in Michigan (Holly State Park) that we visited a few times each year had suddenly closed all the wells. Issue? eColi in the drinking water where they also closed down the dumping station. We know that this did not occur overnight where I am so glad we traveled there every time with full water. After that incident, we travel with full water and today since we are on city water will bring RO water or buy 2gallon jugs of water for drinking. If we are able to snowbird some day, the water filtration that Rob has suggested could help for the more common issues. I had my well tested in Michigan when we lived there and it was so clean. It was like filling my tank with Fiji water.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

A lovely park in Michigan (Holly State Park) that we visited a few times each year had suddenly closed all the wells. Issue? eColi in the drinking water where they also closed down the dumping station. We know that this did not occur overnight where I am so glad we traveled there every time with full water. After that incident, we travel with full water and today since we are on city water will bring RO water or buy 2gallon jugs of water for drinking. If we are able to snowbird some day, the water filtration that Rob has suggested could help for the more common issues. I had my well tested in Michigan when we lived there and it was so clean. It was like filling my tank with Fiji water.

Jim
          Hi Jim,

I know that the RainFresh system that I use is rated for treated and untreated water. It is also rated to remove ecoli and virtually all other waterborne bacteria and cysts. This is the reason that we got this filter system. Many years ago our municipal water system had an issue with crypotsporidium and we had to boil. After that issue we went with the water filter system just to make sure we are safe.

Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Hi Jim,

I know that the RainFresh system that I use is rated for treated and untreated water. It is also rated to remove ecoli and virtually all other waterborne bacteria and cysts. This is the reason that we got this filter system. Many years ago our municipal water system had an issue with crypotsporidium and we had to boil. After that issue we went with the water filter system just to make sure we are safe.

Rob
            Thank you Rob,

The RainFresh looks like a good option as well. With unknown water quality from place to place, water filtration makes sense.

Jim

Comment

Cate&Rob, where did you install the filter? I can’t tell from the pic whether it’s in the basement or under the kitchen sink. If in the basement, how did you route the line to the sink? I am thinking that a filter under the sink might be the way to go - easy to plumb into the pex for the sink and a short run to the faucet.

Bob
              2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
              2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                I had my well tested in Michigan when we lived there and it was so clean. It was like filling my tank with Fiji water.

Jim
                We live off a well at home, but unless I have to..I don't like the idea of hauling 500# of water with me. I did it with the 303 once in 2021 where we went boondocking for the walleye opener. 500# of water and a 16.5' bowrider aluminium boat behind the 303. I was concerned how it would affect pin weight...but....Towed like a champ.

Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
                  Cate&Rob, where did you install the filter? I can’t tell from the pic whether it’s in the basement or under the kitchen sink. If in the basement, how did you route the line to the sink? I am thinking that a filter under the sink might be the way to go - easy to plumb into the pex for the sink and a short run to the faucet.

Bob
                  Hi Bob,

My installation is in the kitchen island and plumbed from the cold water line to the new faucet shown in the second picture of post 1. I think it is important to have this filtration system easily "removable" for sub-freezing storage. This was a big part of my installation. There is no way to blow the water out of the filter elements and I expect that antifreeze would ruin their filtering capability. It is relatively easy for me to undo the water quick connects, remove the entire assembly and store it in a location that stays above freezing.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Couldn't you just remove the filters and housings for winter storage? I would imagine the filters should be changed once a year at least.

Thanks for the write up Rob, one more mod added to my list.
                    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
                    2016 Reflection 27RL
                    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)​
                    Lakeland, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Jsm180 View Post
                      Couldn't you just remove the filters and housings for winter storage? I would imagine the filters should be changed once a year at least.

Thanks for the write up Rob, one more mod added to my list.
                      The filters could be removed and the system drained, but we want the ability to go back and forth between sub freezing non-use (sitting in the driveway) and warmed up for use and travel. Simply moving the entire system indoors works for us. If you are going to winterize with antifreeze, the filtration system will need a bypass or the canisters reinstalled and they will fill with antifreeze.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The filters could be removed and the system drained, but we want the ability to go back and forth between sub freezing non-use (sitting in the driveway) and warmed up for use and travel. Simply moving the entire system indoors works for us. If you are going to winterize with antifreeze, the filtration system will need a bypass or the canisters reinstalled and they will fill with antifreeze.

Rob
                        I put a shutoff valve on the supply line so that I don't get antifreeze into the canisters. Since we pretty much winterize and leave the trailer in storage I remove the filters from the canisters, blow out the water, and then winterize with antifreeze. I open the shutoff a bit while I watch the antifreeze flow through the connection pipe for a bit and then done.

Rob
                        Rob & Barb
                        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I wonder if they make a set of "shorting" caps for the filter canisters. Basically is a micro sized canister that you put in place of the filter canister to not have a volume of water. Refrigerators with internal filters "used" to ship with them so you could bypass the filter and still use the through door water and ice.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

I put a shutoff valve on the supply line so that I don't get antifreeze into the canisters. Since we pretty much winterize and leave the trailer in storage I remove the filters from the canisters, blow out the water, and then winterize with antifreeze. I open the shutoff a bit while I watch the antifreeze flow through the connection pipe for a bit and then done.

Rob
                            In our previous fifth wheel, it had a rainfresh filter installed in the cupboard beneath the sink. Mounted up high behind the sink tight to the underside of the counter. I didn't know it was there for the first two winters.......

I'll bet your Rainfresh canisters can survive a freeze. . Not that I recommend testing that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

In our previous fifth wheel, it had a rainfresh filter installed in the cupboard beneath the sink. Mounted up high behind the sink tight to the underside of the counter. I didn't know it was there for the first two winters.......

I'll bet your Rainfresh canisters can survive a freeze. . Not that I recommend testing that out.
                              Thanks but no planning on trying it though
                              Rob & Barb
                              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Other Rob,
                                Is this the system you used? Just saw it today.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-16-2023, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X