Water Filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    We live off a well at home, but unless I have to..I don't like the idea of hauling 500# of water with me. I did it with the 303 once in 2021 where we went boondocking for the walleye opener. 500# of water and a 16.5' bowrider aluminium boat behind the 303. I was concerned how it would affect pin weight...but....Towed like a champ.
    Scott,

A side note: Do you ever hit the islands of Lake Erie for Walleye? East Harbor State Park is here in the walleye capital of the world. There is also camping on Kelly's Island State Park where folks can ferry their rigs across and that's even closer to the action. You can also use your Canadian license where the border is just a couple miles north of Kelly's. Send me a PM if you would like more info on this area. With our rig leveled on the truck and ready for travel, the tongue weight is not adversely affected with full water. Nose down and that would be another story with more mass ending up on the hitch.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,
      While I have been to East Harbour State Park, and enjoyed it, it is a little far away from me to bring the boat. About a 15 hour drive from here.
      I remember swimming there and seeing an island where lots of boats headed towards. Is that Kelly's Island you can see from East Harbour's beach?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Other Rob,
        Is this the system you used? Just saw it today.
        Yes that is the one.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Hi Jim,
          While I have been to East Harbour State Park, and enjoyed it, it is a little far away from me to bring the boat. About a 15 hour drive from here.
          I remember swimming there and seeing an island where lots of boats headed towards. Is that Kelly's Island you can see from East Harbour's beach?
          Scott,

From the beach you can see the bass islands to the north and Kellys to the north east. If visibility is good, you may be able to see middle and pelee.islands in the distance.

Jim

Comment

Hi All, I'm new t this site and we are planning on picking up our GD2500RL Friday. Excited !
            I wanted to mention that when removing & replacing filters, what you've been filtering out is now in high concentration on the filter elements and housings.
            When changing filters etc be sure to clean and sterilize surfaces before replacing and reinstalling new filters.
            This may have been obvious but, if you have trapped viruses or other pathogen it could be a real issue in high concentration.
            Regards Rob.... Not soliciting for FWS . Just a handy chart...

Click image for larger version

Name:	FWS_Filtration_Spectrum_grande.webp
Views:	293
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	103926

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Bob,

My installation is in the kitchen island and plumbed from the cold water line to the new faucet shown in the second picture of post 1. I think it is important to have this filtration system easily "removable" for sub-freezing storage. This was a big part of my installation. There is no way to blow the water out of the filter elements and I expect that antifreeze would ruin their filtering capability. It is relatively easy for me to undo the water quick connects, remove the entire assembly and store it in a location that stays above freezing.

Rob
              I am thinking of the same thing however maybe you might make a recommendation. I have a pre-filter for the whole rv at the inlet, 10 microns. I would have the room to retrofit this near the sink and would use a t adapter prior to cold water tap with a shut off valve to the small tap. Also, as you likely have done, install quick connect so it can be removed.

Here is the question: We camp 3 weeks in spring and 3 weeks in the fall. Will, hopefully, go south for 2 months but not every year. Concerning the filters, at this rate they would have little usage and would likely require replacement every year and that could be costly considering the usage.

I wonder if installing the same connect/disconnect at the kitchen sink (home) might be worthwhile. Note that my spouse is not too fond of the idea. Any alternative suggestions?
              Pierre & Tara
              2021 Imagine 2600RB
              2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
              1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Petrovsky Hi Pierre,

It would be quite easy to make the filter assembly “plug-and-play” in both the RV and your home kitchen. You would need a second small faucet, but these are available. I found smaller quick connect 1/4” fittings originally for pressure washers. This would make better use of the filter capacity as you suggest. (Not applicable for us because we are on a well at home and already have a whole-house filtration system).

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Rob View Post
                  Hi All, I'm new t this site and we are planning on picking up our GD2500RL Friday. Excited !
                  I wanted to mention that when removing & replacing filters, what you've been filtering out is now in high concentration on the filter elements and housings.
                  When changing filters etc be sure to clean and sterilize surfaces before replacing and reinstalling new filters.
                  This may have been obvious but, if you have trapped viruses or other pathogen it could be a real issue in high concentration.
                  Regards Rob.... Not soliciting for FWS . Just a handy chart...

Click image for larger version

Name:	FWS_Filtration_Spectrum_grande.webp
Views:	293
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	103926
                  Rob,

You raise a good point. Wondering how long a filter can sit between trips and full of water? The advantage of filtered water for full timers is obvious, but wondering how to handle the filter for the occasional users.

Jim

Comment

Cate&Rob
                    Looking over the Rainfresh and ispring filter systems and replacement filters. I am wondering if the ispring filter lineup includes a ceramic type filter for filtering out cysts, giardia etc similar to the Rainfresh 1M filter.
                    Or are the ispring filter dimensions the same as rainfresh so they are interchangeable?
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Hi Scott.

The filtration system that we have had good success with is the iSpring US31 sediment filtration with dual CTO (chlorine, taste, odour) carbon filtration. One set of filters lasted a full four months in Florida. We are "filtering" campground water that is already deemed potable . . . we (and the dogs) did not care for the taste although other long time park residents drink it. This system is not designed to filter raw water. As to whether the filters are interchangeable with other systems . . . I don't know that, but I doubt it.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob
                        Now that I spent a couple months in AZ, I understand why people would like filtration. I think Mesa uses a 50:50 water chlorine mix...lol. In looking at the US31 and the UCS2 they are similarly priced, but you can add a ceramic filter to the Rainfresh if needed. Just wondered if Ispring has that type of filter available. Now...will I ever need it? I haven't hooked our trailer up to straight river water yet.......
                        Maybe it will come down to who has the most easily available replacement filters.

Comment

Resurrecting this thread....Just bought the Rainfresh UCS2 filter system a few weeks ago at CTC. Will be doing a spring install.
                          Cate&Rob
                          How do you like the design of your removable system? Anything you would change if you did it again? I have plans on roughly copying your method.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post

Rob,

You raise a good point. Wondering how long a filter can sit between trips and full of water? The advantage of filtered water for full timers is obvious, but wondering how to handle the filter for the occasional users.

Jim
                            Me too. I’ve never had a problem with tank or park water but there’s always a first time. May consider an inline one for the water hose in parks.
                            Rich

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Hi Scott,

The drinking water filtration system continues to work well. One of the few things that I have designed and installed that I would not go back and change something, LOL! The filters are easy to change in place (remember to leave enough space to the floor below) and the entire assembly disconnects and comes indoors for sub-freezing storage of the trailer.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                                Scott'n'Wendy Hi Scott,

The drinking water filtration system continues to work well. One of the few things that I have designed and installed that I would not go back and change something, LOL! The filters are easy to change in place (remember to leave enough space to the floor below) and the entire assembly disconnects and comes indoors for sub-freezing storage of the trailer.

Rob
                                Hmmmm. An engineer without a V 2.0. Weird.

I was thinking of foam backing near the bottom of the filter body so when bouncing down the road they don't twist on the top mounting bracket too much. Did you do anything like that?

Comment

Working...
                                X