Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubrication of tank valve cables (coroplast down)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubrication of tank valve cables (coroplast down)

I search this, but I am still confused. Are there any videos or instructions on how to correct remove the tank valve pull cables from the valve body? And if don correctly can the cable be removed from the sheath for full lubrication of the sheath and cable?

With the Coroplast down I have full access to everything. I know how to get the handle fitting removed, just cant make heads or tails on the valve body connection - don't want to brake anything. If there is not a why I will go back to forcing lubricant down the cable using my hose trick.

If I can get things apart, what is the best long term lubricant - is used to be dry graphite, or in a suspension. I know I want something that repels water.

Last - I also may have the ability to do some better routing, or at lest secure the cables better - any tips on that?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1312s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.6 KB ID:	99194 Its the long rectangular connection to the valve body I am talking about. Is there a way to disconnect the cable from the valve?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1319s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.4 KB ID:	99195 Note the tight bend on the black tank foreground. If I can remove the cable at the valve I think I can make the bend a lot more gentle.

Thanks for any help
    Keith

On edit - I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kt-ERUczY4 Did he do it right?
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-10-2022, 12:06 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda -- if that's a Bristol valve, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Thanks Howard
      I found thier catalog, but no written install/maintenance documentation https://www.lasallebristol.com/aftermarket-catalog/
      https://www.lasallebristol.com/downl...59a51668105542
      Last edited by Yoda; 11-10-2022, 02:29 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

OK after going through the U-Tube, as many threads as I could find here including Howards and others numerous post howson and Robs zerk modification Cate&Rob I have a couple of questions .

First - Has anyone installed the zerks on the Bristol valves. I believe Rob installed just on Valturra. If so what Zerk length worked and the location to not interfere with the interior blade. I am hoping to do this modification in place.?

Second - for lubricating the cable I have a grease gun fitting (nozzle tip) that once the inner steel cable is removed I can push grease the entire length inside the cable sheath. Is the rubber sheath compatible with petroleum lubricants. I guess I need to email Bristol Valve. Would this be preferable to the spray cable lubricants?

Also in trimming the cables - is the rubber sheath easily trimmed with a razor blade. I was wondering if it had wire in it as some other cables I have on other equipment

Lots of reading and trying to keep this simple and not take everything apart as you all know if I did ......well we wont go there I am worried enough just removing the cable and getting it back together.

Thanks Keith

Comment

I think shortening and rerouting the cables is of more value than trying to lube the cables.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Hi Keith,

The cable routing to your black tank valve is a classic “don’t do it this way” per the Valterra installation instructions. I assume that Bristol would be similar.

I don’t know of any way to learn the interior space in a Bristol valve without cutting one apart . . . as I did with the Valterra version. You may have to sacrifice your worst operating valve and replace it with a new one. Not a bad plan.

Lubricating the whole length of the cable will have little benefit. The pull wire is a loose fit inside the outer sheath. This is not like a motorcycle or bike brake cable where the sheath is a tight fit to the push/pull wire for the entire length. The section of rod immediately behind the pull handle needs to be clean and well lubricated.

The entire sheath is spiral wound metal with a rubber/plastic covering. You will need more than a razor blade to cut this.

A caveat on this info . . . all my experience is with Valterra. Bristol may be different.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
              I think shortening and rerouting the cables is of more value than trying to lube the cables.
              Note that the gate valve in the picture pulls from the opposite side to the pull handle direction. This is where I found that a longer cable with a more gentle bend worked better. Definitely need to get the tight “S” out of the routing.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Could the valve have been mounted 180 degrees around to be directed at the handle? 4-bolt symmetry.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I don't think lubing will do anything...it's not like it moves very far...or very often...but just my personal opinion as an electrician....lol
                  But rerouting that black valve cable, or changing valve orientation is a must and would be time well spent.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Could the valve have been mounted 180 degrees around to be directed at the handle? 4-bolt symmetry.
                    The gate valves typically pull towards the centre of the trailer. If the one closer to to pull handle location were to be flipped over, the cable would have to make a sharp turn because of the adjacent frame rail.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Possibly I need to look.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Hi Keith,

The cable routing to your black tank valve is a classic “don’t do it this way” per the Valterra installation instructions. I assume that Bristol would be similar.

I don’t know of any way to learn the interior space in a Bristol valve without cutting one apart . . . as I did with the Valterra version. You may have to sacrifice your worst operating valve and replace it with a new one. Not a bad plan.

Lubricating the whole length of the cable will have little benefit. The pull wire is a loose fit inside the outer sheath. This is not like a motorcycle or bike brake cable where the sheath is a tight fit to the push/pull wire for the entire length. The section of rod immediately behind the pull handle needs to be clean and well lubricated.

The entire sheath is spiral wound metal with a rubber/plastic covering. You will need more than a razor blade to cut this.

A caveat on this info . . . all my experience is with Valterra. Bristol may be different.

Rob
                        Right now they all work, but getting stiffer. Maybe the dealer has a junk one?
                        Thanks
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Note that the gate valve in the picture pulls from the opposite side to the pull handle direction. This is where I found that a longer cable with a more gentle bend worked better. Definitely need to get the tight “S” out of the routing.

Rob
                          Bings
                          TedS Scott'n'Wendy

The black tank valve could be flipped to have it point the correct direction. That cable currently makes a 180+ very sharp turn (in the photo above) the way it is. Its also the toughest valve to work right now.

Hay Ted - want to be here and take a video when I take it apart - it is the black tank after all. How about helping - I am sure it will take two to hold the pipe apart

I am thinking of doing this is January after the frame fix........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Definitely a spring fix.

Keith

Thanks Everyone on the help and suggestions. BTW I called Bristol - they have ZERO tech support, just sales. They do not make the valve either and could not tell me who does. Makes me wonder how the claim made in USA if the cont know who?

Comment

Yoda -- as documented in my thread, if you find the rod corroded in the sleeve the best solution is just replace it. Working on these valves really stinks! (Pun intended.)
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Bings
                              TedS Scott'n'Wendy

The black tank valve could be flipped to have it point the correct direction.
                              Before you try this, consider the cable routing to the handle location that would now be very close to the cable attachment end of the gate valve.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X