Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubrication of tank valve cables (coroplast down)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda I could do video. Should probably be silent movie with family-friendly subtitles.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
      Yoda I could do video. Should probably be silent movie with family-friendly subtitles.
      But....But..... Thant wont make Funniest home videos.. We do need to get coffee sometime
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Right now they all work, but getting stiffer. Maybe the dealer has a junk one?
        Thanks
        Keith
        Yoda on my 2022 from day one all three of the tank pulls were very stiff and the black never felt like it closed and always had a bit of a drip. I ordered new Bristol valves from Amazon as well as seal kits. After dropping the chloroplast and replacing black tank seal (found debris and seal damage) I put it all back together and tried this product https://a.co/d/7J8Dnem it changed how all of my valves worked, I am no longer considering cable re-routing. Three weeks ago I ran out of it and thought I would try something I had seen on YouTube. I pour about a cup of vegetable oil in each of my tanks after dumping add 3-5 gallons of water, wait 5 minutes and go cycle each valve quickly 3-4 times. My valves have never operated so effortlessly. I have returned the other valves and seal kits.
        Scott & Mikaela
        2022 375 RES
        2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

At the back end of the valve where the cable sheath enters the valve body there should be hex head set screw parallel and alongside the sheath. This holds the sheath to the valve body.

Looking up into the slot along the side of the valve body there will be the valve stem with a connector on the end. There is another hex head set screw (different size than the one holding the sheath) in the connector at 90-degrees to the valve stem that clamps down on the cable. If the set screw is not visible through the lower slot, then it is on the upper side of the valve body. Yes, the most difficult place it could be for removal and re-installation.

The instructions with the cable say to use a pipe cutter to cut the sheath, I find the pipe cutter blade wants to follow the spirals in the sheath and I have better luck with a hacksaw. Whichever method, pull the cable back so it is clear of the cut location to avoid damage to it. Do not pull the cable all of the way out. The inner sleeve of the sheath is easy to cut.

I agree that there is little value in removing the cable to grease the sheath. If there is corrosion in this area it is time to replace the whole thing. Plus it is a PIA to get the cable back into the sheath. That said, regular greasing of rod at the head of the cable (where the T-handle is attached) and the scabbard that the rod fits into (want to differentiate between this and the sheath that holds the cable) is well worth while. There is a lot of play between the rod and the scabbard and plenty of opportunity for moister and grit to get into this area.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Yoda
            In your very first picture...top left...is that one of those mopex connectors for connecting A/C power to a slide?
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              Yoda
              In your very first picture...top left...is that one of those mopex connectors for connecting A/C power to a slide?
              Yes, but it is called a Molex. https://www.molex.com/molex/products...wer_connectors It's somewhere here, but I could not find it.

You have sharp eyes. That is where I zip tied it to get it off the coroplast where it was originally laying.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1311s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	99283 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0410s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.0 KB ID:	99284
              Molex connector above cross member Far left center just below red and blue pex lines Romex (white wire) in right (white portion of box), flexible SOO cable (black) to slide exit left (blue portion of box). Second picture is from my Molex thread
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0411s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	99285 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0408s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	99286
              A better picture from my Molex Thread. Looks like it might have shifted a bit, something for me to check. Second photo is as I found it originally.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Mopex, Molex..potato, potahto...lol
                Thanks for the pics Keith.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Mopex, Molex..potato, potahto...lol
                  Thanks for the pics Keith.

With my great spelling and typing ability's I could have it wrong. LOL

BTW in the photos I added the zip ties around the Molex to keep the case closed - it can be popped apart . Then used those to secure it to the cross member

Happy Thanksgiving......the one day a year you can tell someone to get stuffed and smile
                  Keith

Comment

Working...
                  X