Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get water pump to prime for winterizing. Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get water pump to prime for winterizing. Help.

My water pump doesn't want to prime and send anti-freeze thru water lines. I am going thru city water connection, Any ideas ? I have a 2020 28BH , with nautilus system , have settings on winterization.
    Last edited by Andyrozz; 11-17-2022, 03:18 PM. Reason: forgot info.

Invert the inlet screen to open the inlet check valve.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I did that , pump runs but doesn't draw any anti-freeze, I can hear the pump running.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyrozz View Post
        I did that , pump runs but doesn't draw any anti-freeze, I can hear the pump running.
        Get the jug higher so the pump doesn't have to draw it up. With the screen reversed gravity should allow the antifreeze to reach the pump.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

However...as you'll read in this (old) thread, I couldn't get it to work either so ended up forcing the antifreeze into the system. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...erent-approach

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Put some water in your fresh tank..prime the pump with water. Then invert the screen, connect tubing to the city connection, have A/F in the tube if you can, and then try.
            If you did the blow out with air first, it makes drawing in the A/F more of a chore. Should be removed from the GD procedure. (in my humble opinion...)
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Double check the valve settings on the panel also. Works best if you can get the source about even with or slightly higher than the inlet until you get it primed, then it becomes more forgiving of draw height.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Make sure the pump intake filter screen holder is screwed tight and not sucking air.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Even the smallest of defects in the connections will cause the pump to not pull a prime, double check everything
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    If you did the blow out with air first, it makes drawing in the A/F more of a chore. Should be removed from the GD procedure. (in my humble opinion...)
                    x2 . . . I’ve been saying this for years. Blowing out the system with air before drawing in antifreeze, accomplishes nothing.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Blowing out the system with air will not empty the pump and filter. Blowing out the system with the valves set to draw in antifreeze will blow the pump and filter clear. Running the pump until it's dry will clear the pump. The pump is capable of pumping air to draw in antifreeze; it does draw sooner if it still has water in it or is prefilled with antifreeze.

Remember to have a faucet open when drawing in antifreeze so that air can leave the system as the pump pulls in antifreeze.
                      Last edited by TedS; 11-17-2022, 07:20 PM.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Try this and as Ted mentioned you need a faucet open. With screen inverted and suction line attached, Raise the suction line up and fill the hose to the brim with the pink stuff. burp the pump for a second, and then refill the hose again and repeat (a small funnel helps). When you hear a change in the pump pitch, stop, fill the hose one last time, put a finger over the end and quickly plunge it into the jug. You should be good to go. It helps to have a second person helping cycle the faucets, or watch the jugs so you don't loos the prime.

Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                        X