Announcement

Collapse

Posts are Subject to Edit

Posts added to a thread in this channel may be edited by a moderator. Non-applicable and/or duplicate posts may be deleted or combined into a single post.
See more
See less

Furrion Tankless Water Heater - Important: Please Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey howson, Cate&Rob and ncitro I will definitely update everyone on that test. I was wondering how the mixing tank works as well and does it have a valve that opens and closes to hit the proper temp. As for the power, it has a master switch on the unit to turn it fully off and you can also turn off the unit from the control panel on the inside so pushing fluid thru it shouldn't be an issue. As for the mixing tank, I would assume everything flows thru that and it just adds cold water if needed to hit the correct temp. As for winterizing it correctly, I hope to God that this unit isn't that sensitive if the winterizing fluid is not 100% pure and still has a portion of water content. As for me, I will be purchasing the -60C instead of the -40C stuff.
    We live to serve our two Golder Retrievers
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

• I've only seen one posted instance of a burst mixing tank/valve (as opposed to numerous posts of the drain tubes bursting) and that got me concerned about whether my antifreeze was reaching that component as howson mentions. With the water heater OFF (at the exterior panel and the interior panel) I can get anti-freeze to circulate through to the two drain tubes, but I have no way of knowing if it's being drawn into the mixing tank. With everything off I have wondered if that mixing tank is bypassed. That would be bad.

ncitro thanks for the suggested winterize list of steps! I agree, and mostly that's what I've done the 3 times I've winterized it this year. Although I had the drain tubes closed but will leave open next time. RE: relieving pressure first...yep, learned that the first time! I managed to hang onto the plug but did get sprayed in the face.
      Mike and Rebecca
      2022 Reflection 150 260RD
      2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

• Mike & Rebecca you do not need to ask how I knew to suggest that lol.

gtippett The way it was explained to us (and I take this with a grain of salt) is its not actually a mixing valve, it "spins" (their words not mine) the water through it to even out the temperature on the output. Again, beating this horse to death, but I do not have one of these and am going off of what we saw when they had one on the bench. Honestly I was impressed, the team we saw were Lippert people filming some instructional videos for the Furrion products. It sounded like they were looking to at least clean up some of the confusion out there on the Furrion stuff they had inherited. We all agreed there was plenty of confusion going around (as this thread proves). We are all hoping that we get these questions answered before the snow starts to fly again, but in the meantime experiments from users with this device will help everyone.
        Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28bh
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          Mike & Rebecca you do not need to ask how I knew to suggest that lol.

gtippett The way it was explained to us (and I take this with a grain of salt) is its not actually a mixing valve, it "spins" (their words not mine) the water through it to even out the temperature on the output. Again, beating this horse to death, but I do not have one of these and am going off of what we saw when they had one on the bench. Honestly I was impressed, the team we saw were Lippert people filming some instructional videos for the Furrion products. It sounded like they were looking to at least clean up some of the confusion out there on the Furrion stuff they had inherited. We all agreed there was plenty of confusion going around (as this thread proves). We are all hoping that we get these questions answered before the snow starts to fly again, but in the meantime experiments from users with this device will help everyone.
          ncitro and or other moderators - when you went to the GD / Lippert technical show and tell, did the vendors (Lippert) state whether other RV manufacturers (other than GDRV) were also using the Furrion HWH? It kind of makes me wonder if more than GD is using this TWH, what others have come up with. I’m following this post but since our Furrion broke (not winterized properly), we used our Tax money and bought a Girard TWH; didn’t want another Furrion. Keeping our fingers crossed with the Girard. I didn’t know Lippert acquired Furrion.
          Thanks, Heinz
          Elke and Heinz
          2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
          2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post
            Is there an ON/OFF button like there is in the old-fashioned 6 gallon water heater in my 315RLTS or does water flow automatically cause the Furrion to turn on?
            Just following up with this to make sure it's out there, there are definitely 2 on/off switches as a couple people mentioned. One in the outside unit and one in the bathroom wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220505_183131.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	84158

Name:	20220505_181906.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	84159
            David and Deana
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
            2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Hitch

Comment

• WondersAwait -- thank you. First I've seen that controller for the tankless heater.

So below is a graphic of how anti-freeze can be cycled through the system (what ncitro outlined in a previous post).

Name:	Winterization with Furrion Tankless Water Heater.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	84183
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Thanks howson ! Now I can use your nice picture to replace my hand drawn version I had saved in Evernote. The remaining question (not yours to figure out!) is whether the mixing tank gets antifreeze when the rest of the TWH does in this Nautilus configuration? Or does the TWH need to be powered up and left in the "on" position in order for the antifreeze to get into the mixing tank?
                Mike and Rebecca

Comment

• Related question howson - on page 138 of my Grand Design Owner's Manual it says to turn the White, Blue, and Green handles to a 45 degree angle (not sure from what starting position though) and to run the pump with antifreeze for about 10 seconds. But I haven't seen any mention of this in any other source, including the Grand Design videos on winterizing. Any idea if/why this is actually an important step?
                  Mike and Rebecca

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
                    Related question howson - on page 138 of my Grand Design Owner's Manual it says to turn the White, Blue, and Green handles to a 45 degree angle (not sure from what starting position though) and to run the pump with antifreeze for about 10 seconds. But I haven't seen any mention of this in any other source, including the Grand Design videos on winterizing. Any idea if/why this is actually an important step?
                    Educated guess: ensures antifreeze is in all the nooks and crannies (those are technical terms...lol) of the Nautilus panel. Lots of valves and connectors!
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
                      Related question howson - on page 138 of my Grand Design Owner's Manual it says to turn the White, Blue, and Green handles to a 45 degree angle (not sure from what starting position though) and to run the pump with antifreeze for about 10 seconds. But I haven't seen any mention of this in any other source, including the Grand Design videos on winterizing. Any idea if/why this is actually an important step?
                      The valves turn only 90 degrees. So 45 degrees would be halfway. That opens the valves to all connections.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

• Hey Everyone, So tested the furrion hot water heater over the weekend.
                        • with the hot water in by-pass mode, I can confirm no water gets into the tank.
                        • with overnight lows of 1C and with our furnace set at 16C (furnace adjacent to the furrion heater in 303) the air space next to the door was only dropping to 11C. So the furnace does provide some protection.
                        • starting the hot water in the morning, the furion panel was showing starting temp of the water leaving in the exchanger to be 16-19C (water that got almost no heat from the exchanger).
                        Further testing needed, but it appears while in use, if the furnace is adjacent to the water heater is it somewhat protected. Also running the heater overnight for a very short period pushed the inside temp up again. Please note, the data listed about was with no overnight hot water use (from 11pm to 8am).

in regards to that mixing tank, it appears all water leaving the exchanger runs thru the tank. I think all it does is keep the outgoing temp "constant" to account for fluctuations in water pressure and temperature. So it seems to work like my instant hot at home... the burners BTU output controls the temperature the water reaches and the mixing tank ensures it doesn't bounce. But I am just guessing here.

None of the above protects the unit when not in use (in storage). Still got a few more early camping trips to come, so more updates with be provided.
                        Last edited by gtippett; 05-09-2022, 10:35 AM.
                        2022 Reflection 303RLS
                        2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

• Hey Everyone,

Another update. We were camping in the mountains over the Victoria Holiday and experienced temperatures as low as -3C and during those times, with the furnace running at 16C, the water heater front cavity never dropped below 15C. It appears that the colder it gets with the more frequent furnace cycles the water heater stays better protected. But take this with a gain of salt and I still recommend monitoring the heater while in use when we are getting cold temps overnight.
                          2022 Reflection 303RLS
                          2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

• We were in Estes Park this past week and temps dropped to 27F. I chose to bypass the HWH, drain, and then go inside and turn the magic red knob a few times to ensure I got as much water out as possible.

We kept the camper heated with the fire place and a portable electric heater, no on board furnace used. The supply hose laying out in the open did not freeze overnight.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

• All - I wanted to provide a quick update to my earlier post (#62)...I initially identified my tankless water heater as the problem with freezing in low temps, but I have new information. I spent some time this spring in northern MI, and spent quite a bit of time diagnosing issues with frozen water lines during my stay. It turns out my issues are the low point drains freezing and not my water heater. In my 2022 315RLTS I initially was chasing a frozen water heater - but narrowed it down to the low point drains. They extend 6-12" below the underbelly and when temps would drop below 20F (-7C) the low point drain lines freeze enough to block water flow in the RV - the lowest the air temps got was 3F/-16C When temps would get low, I would turn off the WH, and pack the tank compartment with insulation which seemed to protect the WH. But I fought freezing drain lines for several weeks. I finally wound up putting a space heater underneath the drain lines and rigging up a protective "Shroud" to keep the lines from freezing which did the trick. The WH was fine all a long.

So, this summer I am going to do a couple of things. 1. I am going to open the underbelly and look at either putting a shutoff inside the heated compartment and drain the remaining water out of the drain lines exposed to air. 2. I may also shorten the exposed drain lines and rig up some heat tape to keep them from freezing. But it seems as long as I would stuff insulation in the WH exterior compartment, there is enough heat in the underbelly and inside to keep the WH from freezing.

I am a full-timer, so I have never used my low point drains to winterize. I learned a LOT in my first real winter experience about preparation, etc. I will also note I burned a ton of propane during Marh/April - I averaged one 100 lb propane tank refill a week, so I'll stay south longer this winter and no more camping in northern MI until May!

Comment

• glowblue

Thanks for the update. Yes plenty of owners have had trouble with the low point drains freezing, here is one item that I have seen recommended Frost King FC1 Outdoor Foam Faucet Cover, To Prevent Freeze (2 Pack) - - Amazon.com. This might work and save you the trouble of all that work.

Brian
                                Brian & Michelle
                                2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.2017 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
                                2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

Working...
                                X