Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2400BH Schwintek - 3 of 4 corners are flush. Bottom front corner sticks out a bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2400BH Schwintek - 3 of 4 corners are flush. Bottom front corner sticks out a bit

Got a new '22 Imagine 2400BH. Schwintek slide is flush on 3 of 4 corners. Front bottom sticks out. All of the youtube-ing I've done shows how to sync motors if they're vertically aligned but horizontally out of whack.

Is there a fix here? To my knowledge the gearing is mated top-to-bottom so getting one of these to roll without the other rolling seems like a not-so-easy fix. Am I wrong? Is there an easy fix?

2022 Imagine 2400BH
    2015 Tundra SR5 DblCab 5.7L w/ Firestone Ride-Rite

It may be possible that the slide wall and the coach wall may not be parallel to each other.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by natefox View Post
      Is there an easy fix?
      Unfortunately, no.

If you haven't found it yet, Lippert's resources on the "In-Wall Slideout" (their name for the Schwintek) are here: https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out Look under the MANUALS tab for the IN-WALL SLIDE-OUT TROUBLESHOOTING AND SERVICE MANUAL. There are several measurements easy to do to that can be done to verify the physical installation is correct.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The Schwintek slide installation is really tricky and easy to mess up. It appears to me that the corner in question the slide rail was uneven when the slide was installed, thus that corners gears are not in the same tooth count as the top one. Easy enough to check, simply find the edge of the gears, you can see them behind the seals while the slide is out. Then count the teeth to the end. Document with photo's. If they are uneven then you have an excellent case for a warranty claim.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Mine was doing that along with other issues. It all ended up being due to extremely poor installation and a complete lack of attention to detail on part of the manufacturer.
          The majority of the hardware was over torqued and broken thereby allowing all the slide mech to flex and skip teeth.
          The slide room was and remains not even close to square which caused a considerable amount of binding during movement.
          The bottom support rollers wouldn't all maintain contact throughout slide travel.

To solve it:
          I removed everything - H columns, slide room, rollers.
          Positioned the slide room in the opening as squarely as possible
          Re-timed the top to bottom alignment of the H-columns (the only way to do the top to bottom alignment is to remove the columns!)
          Made custom shims for the rollers and H-column contact points as required.
          Made mental note to never purchase another RV with a tinker-toy Schwintek system on a slide larger than a closet ever again.

Yes it was a big job but not a particularly difficult one. Fortunately, I have the facility and tooling to be able to accomplish it.
          If you need to take it to your dealer for this kind of work, make sure they are capable of going this far in depth to fix it or find one that can.

After it was all done, we haven't had a single issue with the slide. It operates very smooth, the motors emit a high pitch whine with no indication of loading up, and total current draw stays below 5 amps until it hits its limits.
          2021 Reflection 278BH
          2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Todd_P View Post
            Mine was doing that along with other issues. It all ended up being due to extremely poor installation and a complete lack of attention to detail on part of the manufacturer.
            The majority of the hardware was over torqued and broken thereby allowing all the slide mech to flex and skip teeth.
            The slide room was and remains not even close to square which caused a considerable amount of binding during movement.
            The bottom support rollers wouldn't all maintain contact throughout slide travel.

To solve it:
            I removed everything - H columns, slide room, rollers.
            Positioned the slide room in the opening as squarely as possible
            Re-timed the top to bottom alignment of the H-columns (the only way to do the top to bottom alignment is to remove the columns!)
            Made custom shims for the rollers and H-column contact points as required.
            Made mental note to never purchase another RV with a tinker-toy Schwintek system on a slide larger than a closet ever again.

Yes it was a big job but not a particularly difficult one. Fortunately, I have the facility and tooling to be able to accomplish it.
            If you need to take it to your dealer for this kind of work, make sure they are capable of going this far in depth to fix it or find one that can.

After it was all done, we haven't had a single issue with the slide. It operates very smooth, the motors emit a high pitch whine with no indication of loading up, and total current draw stays below 5 amps until it hits its limits.
            I know it's water under the bridge..... But - Grand Design is pretty fed up with the Schwintek system on larger slides also. They will be switching to through frame on larger slides in the future.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Unfortunately, no.

If you haven't found it yet, Lippert's resources on the "In-Wall Slideout" (their name for the Schwintek) are here: https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out Look under the MANUALS tab for the IN-WALL SLIDE-OUT TROUBLESHOOTING AND SERVICE MANUAL. There are several measurements easy to do to that can be done to verify the physical installation is correct.

Howard
              Thanks. I'll dig into this and see what I come up with.
              2022 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Got a new '22 Imagine 2400BH. Schwintek slide is flush on 3 of 4 corners. Front bottom sticks out. All of the youtube-ing I've done shows how to sync motors if they're vertically aligned but horizontally out of whack.

Is there a fix here? To my knowledge the gearing is mated top-to-bottom so getting one of these to roll without the other rolling seems like a not-so-easy fix. Am I wrong? Is there an easy fix?
                Your failure looks exactly like mine did. See this thread. There is no syncing top to bottom, nor is is possible to un-sync them without something failing, as there is a single shaft connected to both the top and bottom gears. If the mechanism still moves your slide in/out, perhaps somehow the lower spur gear skipped a few teeth without an underlying mechanism failure (perhaps clearance too large?).

Good luck getting this fixed - keep us posted please!
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Your failure looks exactly like mine did. See this thread. There is no syncing top to bottom, nor is is possible to un-sync them without something failing, as there is a single shaft connected to both the top and bottom gears. If the mechanism still moves your slide in/out, perhaps somehow the lower spur gear skipped a few teeth without an underlying mechanism failure (perhaps clearance too large?).

Good luck getting this fixed - keep us posted please!
                  Yeeaap. Looks like I'm in the same boat you were in. So the fix kit worked for you?

I've done quite a few measurements and cant find anything off (gear rack to edge of column tolerance, parallel tracks, etc). Only thing off is how far out things are when retracted as well as when slide is out. Got a dealer appt next week. I'm hoping y'alls issues are so common now that dealer has seen it a dozen times and has a quick fix. 🤞
                  2022 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Yeeaap. Looks like I'm in the same boat you were in. So the fix kit worked for you?

I've done quite a few measurements and cant find anything off (gear rack to edge of column tolerance, parallel tracks, etc). Only thing off is how far out things are when retracted as well as when slide is out. Got a dealer appt next week. I'm hoping y'alls issues are so common now that dealer has seen it a dozen times and has a quick fix. 🤞
                    The fix so far has worked perfectly... The slide has maybe been in/out only 6 or 8 times though. The next time will be in AZ in January.

I'd be SURE the dealer has a) seen this problem before and is aware of the repair kit that has been put together by Schwintek and b) is in contact with Grand Design and Schwintek/Lippert. It seems to be a major CF that Grand Design is working through with brand new slides failing. Also be sure both front and back systems are upgraded. All of this assumes that yours is the same problem.
                    Ottertail, Minnesota
                    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Working...
                    X