Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outer slide seal rubbed hole into slide roof. How?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer slide seal rubbed hole into slide roof. How?????

On our 8 month old 2022 Solitude 310GK-R I found a tiny hole in the kitchen slide roof where the outer slide seal rests on the roof material when the slide is fully extended out. I'm also seeing the same issue about to happen on the other side of the kitchen slide's roof in the same area. How in the world did this happen???

I could see the rubber seal rubbing when the slide is retracted while going down the road, but these rub marks are from the slide being extended. How does that happen???

Please see attached pics.

Thanks,

Brandon
    Brandon & Krysten
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 DRW, B&W Hitch

Brandons32

That's an unusual wear spot, Brandon. Check the corresponding spot where the slide's roof meets the seal on the trailer and feel (be careful!) for nails, screws, or anything else that's sharp enough to make a cut like that.

As to how it cut...my guess is that the movement of the trailer (even when walking) is just enough to cause the slide and main trailer frame to rub against each other. Normally this doesn't cause an issue, but there's obviously something there on yours that is causing damage.

Please follow up with us with what you find.

As to how to fix the cut...be careful before applying eternabond tape or anything that may make a "hump" as that could lead to a gap in the seal. I'd try a dab of Alpha sealant, building it up as necessary until it's flush with the roof material. (You might want to consult with your dealer and/or GD since your trailer is so new.)

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

Good morning Howard,

Thanks for the advise, this is indeed a very strange wear spot and I've also notice the same issue with the other side of the kitchen slide except it hasn't rubbed through the membrane yet. I felt around under the seal on both sides and I feel nothing that would cause that. I could see it doing this while in transit but the rub mark would be closer to the outer portion of the roof. Very strange!! Instead of fighting with the dealer and waiting for months on end I will patch it the way you said to. Should I file this with Grand Design?

Brandon
      Brandon & Krysten

Comment

Originally posted by Brandons32 View Post
        howson

Good morning Howard,

Thanks for the advise, this is indeed a very strange wear spot and I've also notice the same issue with the other side of the kitchen slide except it hasn't rubbed through the membrane yet. I felt around under the seal on both sides and I feel nothing that would cause that. I could see it doing this while in transit but the rub mark would be closer to the outer portion of the roof. Very strange!! Instead of fighting with the dealer and waiting for months on end I will patch it the way you said to. Should I file this with Grand Design?

Brandon
        Yes--call GDCS and get a case number along with any advice they might have for a permanent (or temporary) fix. Please pass on what you learn from them!
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Yes--call GDCS and get a case number along with any advice they might have for a permanent (or temporary) fix. Please pass on what you learn from them!
          Will do. Thank you again sir!
          Brandon
          Brandon & Krysten

Comment

Originally posted by Brandons32 View Post

Will do. Thank you again sir!
            Brandon
            Brandon
            The seal is screwed into the trailer frame. I suspect one has backed out. With the slide open, lift the seal and feel for the attachment screws, especially in that corner. I suspect you will find the answer.

Hope this helps - Happy Holidays and safe travels.

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I'm agreeing with Yoda's thinking....or some variation of it. That sure doesn't look like rubber on rubber wear. Check again for something in the seals. Maybe watch the slide near the end of it's travel looking for anything out of the ordinary like a sound or jerky travel?
              Definitely call GD, get it on record in case it becomes a bigger more expensive issue.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

After a bunch of investigating and poking around we found out what caused the hole in the slide roof.

Let me back up to a few months ago where my local dealer had to replace my horizontal slide seal above that same slide out that has the hole in the roof. Upon further investigation it appears that the tech that installed the new slide seal dropped his power drill onto the slide's roof and caused the hole.

Now this is partially my fault too since I did not go up there and look at the repair and I put all of my good hearted trust into the tech that the job was done right... WRONG! I should've check out his work and I didn't. Long story short, after a few not so nice phone calls to the dealer we all figured out the hole was self inflicted by their tech. Hopefully my repair job that Howard instructed me to do will hold until I can get it in to the dealer for them to make the repair.

I appreciate everyone's advice on this matter!

Brandon
                Brandon & Krysten

Comment

Working...
                X