Schwintek slide issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek slide issues

We have a GS 22MLE and like so many others on this forum and other brand forums the Schwintek slides are an issue. They do not stay timed properly. I can adjust them to work properly, travel to a new campground and have to re time the slide out. This is our 12th camper and we have never had issue like this with Geared, cabled, hydraulic and Schwintek on small slides. When I spoke to Lippert the "expert" told me he thought the slide shimmied while in travel. I sent an email to GD service as well as Don Clark CEO with no response. It is my belief the Schwintek slides are just too small to properly move the large slide outs. It is not the motors as they are powerful enough. When we get to Tucson we will have Vroom Slide Systems equipment installed. This will be my last GD unit.

This technical forum is designed for owners helping owners. We realize that you're unhappy with the slide out. What is it that we as owners can do to help you?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Chris and Kim

When you say "they do not stay timed properly" are you meaning each side of the slide does not extend/retract in sync? What procedure are you using to adjust them?
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Hi Jim, I am mostly blowing off steam since calls and emails to GD do not get responses. I suppose if enough of us complain to GD then maybe they would do a recall.

Re: not staying properly timed, when we land at a new campground and open the slide, the left side will begin moving first and we need to push on the right side to get it to move. I can go thru the retiming method, get the slide to work properly and once again at a new campground have issue with the left side moving first.

Re timing : press mode button 6+1 time until red and green lights flash. Move slide in and out several inches until in sync and working properly. Slide is always opened or closed fully and button held 4-5 seconds each time.

Comment

Like the OP my 2022 22MLE had constant issues with the Schwintek slide. I "resynchronized" them many, many times following the directions from Lippert. I had a service center resync them as well at a cost of $150. All to no avail. They would work for a short time and then start failing again, coming in crooked and getting jammed.

BUT, I think we finally have a permanent resolution though. GD sent one of the factory service trucks out to the house prepared to replace all of the mechanism but after some testing he determined the control box itself was the problem. He replaced the control box and the slide has worked flawlessly since. We previously had a 337RLS which had a Schwintek system for the bedroom slide and it never had one hiccup in nearly 7 years of ownership so I believe we should be good to go now.

I have read so many (too many!) posts either here or on other forums or FB pages complaining of the same problem but haven't read anywhere of this simple fix.

At least for me and my issue, I am finally unconditionally in love with my trailer.

Good luck with your issue.
          Last edited by Paul & Deb; 12-05-2022, 03:32 PM.
          Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Chris and Kim View Post
            Hi Jim, I am mostly blowing off steam since calls and emails to GD do not get responses. I suppose if enough of us complain to GD then maybe they would do a recall.

Re: not staying properly timed, when we land at a new campground and open the slide, the left side will begin moving first and we need to push on the right side to get it to move. I can go thru the retiming method, get the slide to work properly and once again at a new campground have issue with the left side moving first.

Re timing : press mode button 6+1 time until red and green lights flash. Move slide in and out several inches until in sync and working properly. Slide is always opened or closed fully and button held 4-5 seconds each time.

Here's a thought, and I hope someone with more knowledge on the Schwintek system will chime in. Retime the system, and then switch the left and right connectors at the control box. If there is still a problem with the right side, it would seem the motor is the issue. If the problem moves to the left side, then the controller. Of course this assumes there is nothing causing a bind on the slide to begin with. Any thoughts??
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Chris and Kim View Post
              Thanks much for the response. I think all of us have "blown off steam" regarding the RV industry a time or two. If you're on FaceBook, try this link as another tool to connect with GDRV. The first post describes how to get help. Sometimes, requests slip through the cracks, so keep trying.

https://www.facebook.com/GDRVServiceSupport/

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Here's a thought, and I hope someone with more knowledge on the Schwintek system will chime in. Retime the system, and then switch the left and right connectors at the control box. If there is still a problem with the right side, it would seem the motor is the issue. If the problem moves to the left side, then the controller. Of course this assumes there is nothing causing a bind on the slide to begin with. Any thoughts??
                Have a look in this thread - that exact thing was discussed.
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Have a look in this thread - that exact thing was discussed.
                  OK, I remember that thread now. I forgot to mention if you swap the connectors at the controller box the slide switch in/out positions will be reversed. The controller module is not cheap, but it would be easy to swap out and save a service cost.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                  X