Schwintek error code 9/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek error code 9/1

Hall power short to ground is error code 9 (flashing red 9 times) and flashing one time green is motor 1. So I thought it would go into 2023 without a problem but I was wrong. After looking at troubleshooting manuals I first cleared the controller by pressing the in/out switch once (in) then bringing slide in. That cleared the flashing and the slide goes in and out with no issues. I also shut off power and tried bringing slide in/out on battery, no problem.

So what is the mystery? I was working on that battery monitor and had disconnected battery did this have an effect on the controller? Lippert is closed for holiday today but I will be trying to find out if I have a problem or not and post it here in case this ever happens to anyone.

One thing for sure is I will be buying a power cable to have on hand for diagnosing problems like these. Without that, don’t know how else I could figure out what is wrong.
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 01-10-2023, 10:29 PM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Vivian,

The last time I checked was over a year ago, but at that time the Lippert customer support line was open 24/7. 574-537-8900.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Vivian,

The last time I checked was over a year ago, but at that time the Lippert customer support line was open 24/7. 574-537-8900.

Jim
      Hi Jim, they are closed for the holiday and don’t want to call the emergency line as slide works and we are not moving.

Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
        Hall power short to ground is error code 9 (flashing red 9 times) and flashing one time green is motor 1. So it thought it would go into 2023 without a problem but I was wrong. After looking at troubleshooting manuals I first cleared the controller by pressing the in/out switch once (in) then bringing slide in. That cleared the flashing and the slide goes in and out with no issues. I also shut off power and tried bringing slide in/out on battery, no problem.

So what is the mystery? I was working on that battery monitor and had disconnected battery did this have an effect on the controller? Lippert is closed for holiday today but I will be trying to find out if I have a problem or not and post it here in case this ever happens to anyone.

One thing for sure is I will be buying a power cable to have on hand for diagnosing problems like these. Without that, don’t know how else I could figure out what is wrong.
        If you reset the controller (toggle the extend / retract button in both directions quickly) does the error repeat when operating the slide again?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson I reset the controller as per manual. Press in let go then press in again to retract. It no longer flashes so I am assuming it had something to do with the battery monitor fiasco.

I have now operated the slide twice while on shore power and once on battery not hooked up to shore power so no more error codes
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

I had that same error code a few times, yet the system works. I talked to GD about it this past fall, to at least establish the incident while still under warrantee. They sent me a replacement controller, but I've not seen the error again, albeit with only one more actuation since fall. At some point I'll need to send one of the controllers back or they will charge me for it (ouch$$). It'd be nice to see an aftermarket version, since it' should be about a $50 item.
            Ottertail, Minnesota
            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Had this same issue one time and it was a shorted (eventually broken) hall effect wire. This is the circuit to indicate position of the slide. If using the override in this case, carefully listen to the system to determine if one motor is slightly falling behind. This was the second issue with the same motor which turned out to be a failing gear box. System diagnostics were indicating a power to ground from the failing gearbox so the diagnostics will indicate a problem and not necessarily inform us of the exact problem.

Jim

Comment

I finally got to talk with Lippert this morning and went over the events that led up to the code flashing. Since the slide runs normally under AC power and under battery power. AND that the code has not come back, it was related to the event that triggered it. Basically, I was trying to diagnose a Victron battery monitor by removing negative battery cable (did spark on reattaching) turning power converter on and off, turning AC power on/off. Apparently it might have sent a higher current into the controller and that triggered the code. The controller does not like spikes in voltage.

Crossing my fingers that it remains ok and it’s as he said, just an event …..
                Last edited by Beachcamper; 01-03-2023, 07:21 PM.
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                  I finally got to talk with Lippert this morning and went over the events that lead up to the code flashing. Since the slide runs normally under AC power and under battery power. AND that the code has not come back, it was related to the event that triggered it. Basically, I was trying to diagnose a Victron battery monitor by removing negative battery cable (did spark on reattaching) turning power converter on and off, turning AC power on/off. Apparently it might have sent a higher current into the converter and that triggered the code. The controller does not like spikes in voltage.

Crossing my fingers that it remains ok and it’s as he said, just an event …..
                  My experience was similar - the codes seemed to appear after batteries/power was connected. Upon use the codes cleared.
                  Ottertail, Minnesota
                  2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                  2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

For anyone following this thread, I reached out to Darren from MyRVWorks YouTube fame with the question of why this error code happens only when battery is disconnected. Furthermore it happens specifically when I turn battery switch off and remove the battery switch key. Then code clears and everything seems ok…

His assistant reached out and they will ask the question when they do go live on YouTube this first Friday of the month at 4:30 PM PST with their series. Stay tuned to here what he has to say about this issue.

https://youtube.com/@MyRVWorks
                    Last edited by Beachcamper; 02-17-2023, 03:44 PM.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

The question was asked and no resolution unfortunately. But if anyone wants to hear what Darren mentions as a way to diagnose further fast forward to my question to him at 16:51. Superduty you might understand how to do that diagnosis it went over my head.

https://www.youtube.com/live/6YjyIlMxNRI?feature=share
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Today I was able to play with the RV.
                        1) Battery Load test. I used the front landing gear as I had a remote and could be by the battery.
                        2). Battery had 13.2 volts at hook up. Running the landing gear, volts went to 12.3 and held.
                        3) After I put battery power to the trailer, I got the 9/1 code before doing anything.
                        4) I then Disconnected the battery. Zero power to trailer. Unhooked motor 1 & 2 plug from the SchwinnTec Controller. Unhooked the Ext/Ret wires also.
                        5) Reconnected the battery, and plugged into shore power. Plug in controllers wires, Got the 9/1 lights.

Everything I do, the only way to clear the 9/1 blinking is when I do a quick punch to the slid button. Does not matter if I push in or put. This only gives me the blinking when the slide is in transport (in) position. Has done this since day one, and it is etch into my brain to turn on power, walk inside and push the slide button. Only after a full power shut off as long as I have 12v or 120v shore power, I do not get the blinking.

I’m off to watch the video from Vivian, paying attention in the 16:51 area. Be back soon.
                        Last edited by Superduty; 03-07-2023, 07:05 AM. Reason: Spelling error
                        Steve
                        2018 Reflection 303
                        2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                        Diesel, Star White.

Comment

I think I kind of debunk the short to ground he referred to. When I had all the connector off the controller, the only short to ground would be in the controller.
                          I have check battery voltage at the battery and the incoming wire to the controller and got the same reading. If it is a short to ground, I would think we would have a fuse blowing when in use.

As i said above, mine has did this since I got the rv. I van not find any pinched wires, or issues in the wiring..
                          The only thing I have not done is change the button to the slide. Maybe, but I don’t think so, it is in the slide button. Sounds crazy.
                          Steve
                          2018 Reflection 303
                          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
                            I think I kind of debunk the short to ground he referred to. When I had all the connector off the controller, the only short to ground would be in the controller.
                            I have check battery voltage at the battery and the incoming wire to the controller and got the same reading. If it is a short to ground, I would think we would have a fuse blowing when in use.

As i said above, mine has did this since I got the rv. I van not find any pinched wires, or issues in the wiring..
                            The only thing I have not done is change the button to the slide. Maybe, but I don’t think so, it is in the slide button. Sounds crazy.
                            Based on all of your troubleshooting, my guess is it's the controller. Something in the initial power-on sequence (internally) is bad. Hitting the switch the way you describe is a way of sending an error code reset command to the controller, which (obviously) works just fine. With power applied and the reset command executed, my guess is the controller does not execute the entire power-on sequence but an abbreviated set of internal commands. Since in reality there's no error, everything works fine from that point on.

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree Howard. The only thing I can think of is the switch, but that seems so far fetch. I'm not going to worry much about this as mine has always done this.
                              I figured, maybe the slide relaxes enough after removing power from the motors causing this, But Lippert said there is no sensor for this.

Another mystery is unsolved.
                              Steve
                              2018 Reflection 303
                              Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Working...
                              X