Through Wall Hydraulic Slides Moved While Unhitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Through Wall Hydraulic Slides Moved While Unhitching

Slides pulled in with no issue yesterday and stayed in during travel. Did walk around on arrival at new park, no problems. Pulled into site, no problems. Lowered landing jacks and unhitched from trailer, problem. Both the curbside and roadside through wall hydraulic slide had moved out about 6". Pulled slides back in, no problems. Leveled trailer, no problems. Ran slides out, no problems.

This morning did courtesy inspection. Hydraulic oil in reservoir same level as always. No evidence of leak at pump or manifold block or any of the lines to or from the pump or the block. No evidence of leakage from hydraulic lines at landing or stabilizing jacks, or on any of the jacks themselves. No evidence of hydraulic leakage on visible portion of rams for slides or at the lower hydraulic line connection to the rams. The upper connection is back under the cor-plastic, but I could not see any sign of hydraulic oil on visible parts of the cylinders, the supporting structure, or the foil insulation on top of the cor-plastic.

System has been in use for over 4-years with-out adding any oil to the reservoir, popping of air bubbles stopped almost 3 and 1/2 years ago.

GD and Lippert Owner Manuals are useless (Sorry to shock you like that) and Lippert Customer Service is closed (Another shock, sorry). Looking for help on WTF happened and what I can do about it. I understand the mechanics of the hydraulic system, having inspected the install of many large hydraulic gates, but am not a hydraulic mechanic (Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, inspect). So I won't be offended with any step-by-step instructions.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

You have a solenoid issue. Not shifting correctly or o-ring. Possibly contaminated oil causing the issue.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      You have a solenoid issue. Not shifting correctly or o-ring. Possibly contaminated oil causing the issue.
      Okay, so what do I need to do now? Can I pull the solenoid while set up or safer to hook up to truck? Is this something a relative novice can do or should I be looking for a mobile tech?
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Depending on how the solenoid is attached, you may be able to pull it. Most not all are just a magnet that activates the valving THOUGH a metal sleeve. So the solenoid magnet is completely separate from the valve itself. These are usually identified by the nut on top of the electro magnet that activates the valve.

These are removable without causing hydraulic loss: https://store.lci1.com/cartridge-val...nection-176954 there appear to be common electro magnetic type valves used in the system.

If you post pics of the valving it will help.

Also look for signs of magnetic interference between the components.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

This is looking like something beyond my abilities, and there isn't a mobile tech in the area. Some RV service centers that I may be able to get into. Am I correct in thinking that with everything retracted for traveling, and hydraulic pump off, we would be safe to hit the road.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

I do not have a hydraulic system, but from what I see and read the pump is an on demand system. You can confirm this by noting that the pump only runs when a function is active and stops immediately when the command stops.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

JBill9694, try cycling all the systems several times. The thinking here is to dislodge and flush debris that may be holding a valve slightly open. With valves off and closed, no leaks, and hydraulic pump off nothing will move while traveling.

Otherwise I suspect the valve that controls the slide is stuck partially open allowing pressurized fluid while operating the landing legs to flow to the slide cylinder. The valve would need to be removed to be inspected.
              Last edited by TedS; 01-07-2023, 04:51 PM.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Lippert gets their valves from Hydac. The valve is a cartridge valve and is screwed into the valve housing.
                https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hydac...045-177094.htm
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

JBill9694 -- I carry "slide locks" with me so that if I get into a situation where I doubt a slide will stay put during travel I can physically secure it with a mechanical lock. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-for-a-315rlts for a full description with pictures.

Note I'm not saying your slides will extend while towing--just providing food for thought.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                    This is looking like something beyond my abilities, and there isn't a mobile tech in the area. Some RV service centers that I may be able to get into. Am I correct in thinking that with everything retracted for traveling, and hydraulic pump off, we would be safe to hit the road.
                    I am not familiar with exactly how your slide hydraulic system is designed. I would expect there to be check valves that would prevent slides from creeping out while traveling, but I just don't know. Never looked at a GD hydraulic drawing. If I was going to guess, I would say you were safe to go...but it's a guess. Hopefully someone will know/reply before you have to be on the road.
                    After four years in service I would expect a hydraulic fluid change is in order. A little water/condensation in the reservoir can play hell with the system.
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I agree with Scott'n'Wendy a oil change may be in order.

As far as servicing the hydraulic system I am from the camp of "if bad things can happen they will", I would hook up truck before checking anything.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                        Lippert gets their valves from Hydac. The valve is a cartridge valve and is screwed into the valve housing.
                        https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hydac...045-177094.htm
                        Ouch - that's pricey.

I know nothing on the hydraulic slides, but I have hydraulic equipment on my tractor. if the valve is bad can simple manual valves be added inline. So once extended you close them and same for retracted. You just need to remember to open and close them.

Just a thought

Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                          ... if the valve is bad can simple manual valves be added inline...
                          Keith,
                          I understand the thought process, but finding the malfunctioning component is (IMO) the first step. Then finding the most cost-effective repair can be determined.

JBill9694 one possibility is an internal cylinder is leaking (bypassing the piston seal) in one of the slide-out cylinders. Lippert has a technical document on how to test the cylinders (I've never attempted it). The document is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

1.From the way you wrote your symptoms down, I'm guessing slides move in or out together at the same time. If that is the case, there will be one solenoid valve accomplishing this. Change it, with the trailer unplugged and battery disconnected so there is NO way for the pump to start. After which you will likely be good to go. Might have to add a little fluid if it spills. Looks like a $135 part, but it will cost you more than that at the service centre before anything gets fixed.
                            2.If you did as suggested by Tom and it is functioning well now, you will gain nothing by changing that solenoid, but change your hydraulic fluid. There's particles in it and hydraulic valves have very tight tolerances.
                            3.Lastly, if as I suspect all the solenoid valve are the same...consider buying a spare to take with you.
                            *****The slide hydraulics probably operate in the range of 1000 to1500psi......so obviously make sure the pump can NEVER start while you are fiddling with the hydraulics.*****
                            Good luck either way you go, DIY or service centre

Comment

The hydraulic solenoid valves are normally-closed valves, there is no check valve. The slide piston will not move until pressure is applied. There is a hex socket nut on the end to override, open, the valve. Changing a valve is fairly simple. Remove the coil from the solenoid stem. Unscrew to valve cartridge from the valve block. Install the new valve cartridge by screwing it into the valve block. Reinstall the solenoid coil. There should be a picture in the owner's manual identifying which valve is for which function. A manual can be downloaded from LCI website.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X