what kind of glue should be used on corner of slide out seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of glue should be used on corner of slide out seal

We are sitting in a monsoon in Mississippi. A leak appeared from our bedroom slide out. It is pouring in. The only thing I can see that is amiss is the corner seals (one vertical and the other horizontal) on the side that is leaking are not glued together. That is the only opening I can see that could account for the leak. The seals on this side were replaced by GD at a rally a year and a half ago. It hasn't leaked before, and I never noticed the corner seals weren't properly put together. So maybe the glue they used failed recently. Opening and closing it in subfreezing temps (in Michigan before we left) is hard on the seals, maybe that was enough to cause the seals to come apart. So my question is what glue should I use, and how should I prepare the seals to make sure I get a good connection.

After it stops raining here it is supposed to cool down. So I don't know what temperatures I will be dealing with, if that affects the glue effectiveness.

thanks,
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

A butyl rubber glue would be your best bet. Most likely to have the flexibility and elasticity to match the seals. Depending on ambient temperatures you may have to tent and heat to get to proper adhesion and cure.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
      We are sitting in a monsoon in Mississippi. A leak appeared from our bedroom slide out. It is pouring in. The only thing I can see that is amiss is the corner seals (one vertical and the other horizontal) on the side that is leaking are not glued together. That is the only opening I can see that could account for the leak. The seals on this side were replaced by GD at a rally a year and a half ago. It hasn't leaked before, and I never noticed the corner seals weren't properly put together. So maybe the glue they used failed recently. Opening and closing it in subfreezing temps (in Michigan before we left) is hard on the seals, maybe that was enough to cause the seals to come apart. So my question is what glue should I use, and how should I prepare the seals to make sure I get a good connection.

After it stops raining here it is supposed to cool down. So I don't know what temperatures I will be dealing with, if that affects the glue effectiveness.

thanks,
      Dave
      All of the seals on the inside of my camper are not glued together. External, yes. Internal, no. The wiper seal isn't what stops the water from entering, anyway. That's the job of the bulb seal, assuming the slide is adjusted so that when fully extended the interior bulb seal is compressed.

Is the slide a Schwintek? The older style will channel water into the room. There are times when (due to horrendous weather) I close the bedroom slide on my 315RLTS. (Your weather is headed my way and I've already got mine closed up.)
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

All of the seals on the inside of my camper are not glued together. External, yes. Internal, no. The wiper seal isn't what stops the water from entering, anyway. That's the job of the bulb seal, assuming the slide is adjusted so that when fully extended the interior bulb seal is compressed.

Is the slide a Schwintek? The older style will channel water into the room. There are times when (due to horrendous weather) I close the bedroom slide on my 315RLTS. (Your weather is headed my way and I've already got mine closed up.)
        I am referring to the external seals, where they meet at the corner. The vertical one is straight up, this allows water to run right down the inside of it and into the camper. We did close it, and that stopped the leak. I would rather not have to close it every time it rains, but I guess that is life until I get to a warmer, dryer setting.

thanks,
        Dave
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

I am referring to the external seals, where they meet at the corner. The vertical one is straight up, this allows water to run right down the inside of it and into the camper. We did close it, and that stopped the leak. I would rather not have to close it every time it rains, but I guess that is life until I get to a warmer, dryer setting.

thanks,
          Dave
          When I put on my temporary seals I found that SuperGlue worked immediately--and permanently--to join the top to side (overlap) wiper seals. Please understand: you'll only get one opportunity to place the seals together. Once the seals touch the Superglue they instantly seal together. There's no re-positioning.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I believe your exterior seals are likely quarter note seals, so called for their resemblance to a quarter note, with a bulb and then a flat section that acts like a wiper against the surface of the slide. The bulbs should be welded/glued where they meet at the corners but the flat sections should overlap with the vertical seal extending up and under the horizontal seal.

Now, you mention monsoon which usually entails high wind and heavy rain. I don't want to get all engineery on this but it is likely that with the heavy rains you are getting more water on the top of your slide, both directly from the rain and overflow from your roof gutters, than can readily run off. The water may be ponding and backing up under your seals. If the wind is blowing against that side of your rig that can be adding to the problem. Closing your slide is probably the quickest and easiest solution. Other solutions would involve reducing the amount of water falling on top of the slide by diverting the water from the roof gutter overflow, or some type of temporary topper on the slide.

The internet here is being difficult this morning so I can't confirm but I suspect that you have other slides, even though you don't mention any problem with them (they may have a greater pitch away from the trailer body and so are better able to handle the water, or the wind may not be blowing against them). I'm sure your checking your other slides for leaks and want to encourage you to continue to do so.

Good Luck
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

thanks,
              Dave
              Dave--this is the thread I was referencing: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ard-to-replace

if you'll give it a read (and if your seals are like mine) it should help.

-Howard

Comment

Attached is the photo. It was attached and came apart. I stopped at an RV repair place and asked to buy butyl rubber glue and they didn't know what it was. I asked what they recommend, and the tech said he has worked there 10 years, and they haven't found anything they are satisfied with to glue the seals together. Obviously, what ever Grand Design used in the repair didn't last, but what ever they use in the original manufacturing is holding up on all the other corners. I am hesitant to use superglue, I would like to make sure I have a smooth corner, so the ability to move it a little after contact would be nice.

JBill9694 ; howson
                2016 Reflection 27RL
                2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Attached is the photo. It was attached and came apart. I stopped at an RV repair place and asked to buy butyl rubber glue and they didn't know what it was. I asked what they recommend, and the tech said he has worked there 10 years, and they haven't found anything they are satisfied with to glue the seals together. Obviously, what ever Grand Design used in the repair didn't last, but what ever they use in the original manufacturing is holding up on all the other corners. I am hesitant to use superglue, I would like to make sure I have a smooth corner, so the ability to move it a little after contact would be nice.

JBill9694 ; howson
                  GDRV-Megan -- can you ask the factory what glue they use to bond the upper and side exterior wiper seal corners together?

Thanks!

Comment

This is an interesting topic which has been raised in the other sandbox over the last few years. Early years GDRVs did not have any glue on the corners bonding the top and side wiper seals. Not sure when that started (or why) by GDRV and if on all or some or all models.......or if GDRV is still bonding these.

Megan GDRV-Megan if you learn more about this that would be helpful to educate as well.

Thanks,

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Per JD, we use 401 Loctite Gorilla Glue. Be sure to prep with alcohol first.

Comment

Dave27 -- while I haven't tried the 401 Loctite Gorilla Glue myself, be prepared that once you bond the two seals together that they will instantly bond. Practice, practice, practice before using the glue...

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          Dave27 -- while I haven't tried the 401 Loctite Gorilla Glue myself, be prepared that once you bond the two seals together that they will instantly bond. Practice, practice, practice before using the glue...
                          Ok, thank you for the advice. We will see how it goes.
                          2016 Reflection 27RL
                          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

You could also consider a butyl rubber caulking. While this is not a product endorsement as I have never used it, Flex Glue would also seem to be a worth while contender.
                            John
                            2018 Momentum 395M
                            2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Something that I forgot to mention in my previous post that should be obvious, but I use to get paid good money for stating the obvious; what ever you do, do not fill the hollow portion of the bulb with something that would make the bulb less compressable. Best option would be to leave the bulb hollow. Remember that the slide has to be able to compress the bulb evenly when closed to get a tight seal and that any change in compression at the corner(s) could negatively impact the overall seal.
                              John
                              2018 Momentum 395M
                              2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Working...
                              X