This piece looks important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This piece looks important

Greetings all. New to the forum. I have a 2019 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. It just went out of warranty . Today, I was trying to pull the slide in to reposition the camper at the RV park. Facing the slide from the inside, the left is the rear of the camper and the right is the front. The right and left began sliding in at the same time for the first 3-4 inches, then the left stopped and the right kept going. I stopped the slide after a few inches and ran it back out. Then I tried again several times with the same result. I then consulted the owners manual and the internet and found the slide controller and performed the reset procedure and the slide came in fine. I didn't notice any unusually loud noises while moving the slide.
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​After repositioning the camper, re-leveling and placing the x-chocks, the slide went out alright other than the left seated slightly before the right. Fast forward to tonight, I was putting foam insulation around the bottom edge of the slide to block the cold Colorado winter air, and found, along with a dead ladybug, this bracket with two broken screw heads. It was under the little carpet flap under the left side of the slide. It looks kind of like there is some corrosion on the broken shaft so I'm not sure if it is new and the corrosion contributed to the failure or if they have been broken for a while and I just now found it.

Does anyone know where this this goes and how I can put it back?

Pics for the above message.
    Attached Files

Comment

That is a bracket to hold the slide mechanism in case the rest of the mounting screws would fail.

They were added to the build after the first 2-3 years of production as a safety precaution.

With the slide in, you should be able to see where it came from. You can reattach it close to where it was. It doesn't have to be exact.
      Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV in Shoemakersville, PA

2020 Reflectiopn 260RD owner towed by a 2011 RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Comment

Looks like the Z clip. Thought there was one mounted on each side of the slide. Supposed to help prevent the slide from falling out.
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

trickyrabbit ,

​​​​​​​gbkims and huntr70 are right. I brought in my slide and took a look. There are two on each side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z Clip.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	10770 ​​​​​​​
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by huntr70 View Post
            That is a bracket to hold the slide mechanism in case the rest of the mounting screws would fail.

They were added to the build after the first 2-3 years of production as a safety precaution.

With the slide in, you should be able to see where it came from. You can reattach it close to where it was. It doesn't have to be exact.
            X2 This is also my recollection on when these were added.

Jim

Comment

Thank you all so much. I was hesitant to bring the slide in to check because of the trouble I had earlier, but I will bring it in some and try to get the broken screws out and put it back where it came from. I will update you all when I'm finished. Thanks again.

Comment

When you say, "It just went out of warranty," are you referring to the 1-year overall warranty? There is a 3-year structural warranty and GD would probably cover any slide issues under that. It sounds like you've got things under control, though.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I finally got around to pulling the slide in after the kids went to bed. Turns out the bottom bracket on both sides of the slide were no longer attached. The right side was only held in place with a few random strands of caulk or something. Now the question is, is there something more serious than just some broken screws? There is a gap approximately 1/4" between the bracket and the piece it screws to. This is the right side. I haven't squeezed in to mess with the left side yet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I was talking about the 1-year warranty overall, not the 3-year structural warranty. I may have to contact customer service about this. I don't really want to, because we sort of live in it.

Comment

Originally posted by trickyrabbit View Post
                      I finally got around to pulling the slide in after the kids went to bed. Turns out the bottom bracket on both sides of the slide were no longer attached. The right side was only held in place with a few random strands of caulk or something. Now the question is, is there something more serious than just some broken screws? There is a gap approximately 1/4" between the bracket and the piece it screws to. This is the right side. I haven't squeezed in to mess with the left side yet.
                      Good question. The manual for your slide-out is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001602.pdf There are a few measurements you can check that are outlined in the manual. I've never looked at this myself, so I don't have any personal experience to convey.

If the drawings I have reflect what is in your 2400BH (you'll have to contact GD Customer Service with your VIN to verify) there is electrogalvanized steel (EGS) backers on both sides of the interior of the camper where the slide is installed. That EGS should provide plenty of grip for the screws. As first recommended to me by Cate&Rob, if you decide to reinstall the clip yourself coat the screw liberally with silicone sealant before reinstalling. If the screws failed due to corrosion the sealant should help the replacements last longer. A little harder to work with, but I use RVProFlex sealant (thinking of you, Chiefblueman!).

One more item (a forum usage hint): when responding to a specific post use the "Quote" feature so the individual gets a notification (like you just did when I quoted you).
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Caution - the electrogalvanized steel (EGS) backers used by GD are paper thin. Be very careful not to over torque. How do I know - my bowed awning bracket gave me some time to work with and find this backer. It is not very forgiving. If you have a striping issue, have some quality fast set epoxy on hand and create a void behind the backer in the foam. Fill void with the epoxy and then set the bolt/screw back in place. One size larger than stock if you have room.

I am guessing GD used a drill driver set to too high of a torque setting during the initial install.

Hope this helps
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda I can attest to the "paper thin" comment!

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Good question. The manual for your slide-out is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001602.pdf There are a few measurements you can check that are outlined in the manual. I've never looked at this myself, so I don't have any personal experience to convey.

If the drawings I have reflect what is in your 2400BH (you'll have to contact GD Customer Service with your VIN to verify) there is electrogalvanized steel (EGS) backers on both sides of the interior of the camper where the slide is installed. That EGS should provide plenty of grip for the screws. As first recommended to me by Cate&Rob, if you decide to reinstall the clip yourself coat the screw liberally with silicone sealant before reinstalling. If the screws failed due to corrosion the sealant should help the replacements last longer. A little harder to work with, but I use RVProFlex sealant (thinking of you, Chiefblueman!).

One more item (a forum usage hint): when responding to a specific post use the "Quote" feature so the individual gets a notification (like you just did when I quoted you).
                            I will try to remember to quote when responding.

Comment

So I just started a new job and may not be able to do anything with this for a bit. I will check with Grand Design about the warranty and see what they say and what I can do.

Even if they do approve warranty work, I am hesitant to bring the camper to a dealer for work. The only time I have they told me it was ready and I drove 1.5 hours to pick it up and only one of the 4-5 things were done, they damaged my door lock and the screen door, damaged the linoleum in the pass through storage, cut a hole in my roof and patched it and didn't tell me, and jarred it so hard that the knife magnet fell off the wall, after it staying up from Colorado to Virginia. Maybe they're not all like that.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X