Bulb seal on slide coming out while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulb seal on slide coming out while driving

I had a curious thing happen while on the highway recently. The top bulb seal on the driver’s side slide worked its way out the front of the slide somehow. About 4 feet came out before I noticed it flapping in the wind, so I duct taped it to the side until I could look at it. After running out the slide, I was able to push the seal back in along its channel. Took it for a test run and within a few miles it was coming out again.

So looking for suggestions to fix this. I’m not sure how it’s held in place or why it would come out (and out the front!). I expected the pressure from the slide would keep it in place. Should I replace the seal or can it be reused, maybe held in place with silicone?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
    I had a curious thing happen while on the highway recently. The top bulb seal on the driver’s side slide worked its way out the front of the slide somehow. About 4 feet came out before I noticed it flapping in the wind, so I duct taped it to the side until I could look at it. After running out the slide, I was able to push the seal back in along its channel. Took it for a test run and within a few miles it was coming out again.

So looking for suggestions to fix this. I’m not sure how it’s held in place or why it would come out (and out the front!). I expected the pressure from the slide would keep it in place. Should I replace the seal or can it be reused, maybe held in place with silicone?

Bob
    Exact same thing happened to me! No idea how it worked it's way out of the top of the kitchen slide on my 315RLTS. It's still on my "To Do" list to fix

FYI, the ends of the bulb seal are screwed in to the camper, so it must have torn away on yours like it did mine.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just wondering what is the best way to fix this problem. The ends of the seal where the screws attach it to the slide are torn so there is nothing preventing it from sliding in the channel. Should I glue or silicone the seal into the channel? The seal is still in good shape so doesn’t need replacement unless that’s the only way to fix it.

Bob
      2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Just wondering what is the best way to fix this problem. The ends of the seal where the screws attach it to the slide are torn so there is nothing preventing it from sliding in the channel. Should I glue or silicone the seal into the channel? The seal is still in good shape so doesn’t need replacement unless that’s the only way to fix it.

Bob
        Could you use a washer under the screw head to hold the seal? Maybe add another screw up a little from the previous one.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Should I glue or silicone the seal into the channel?
          Bob,
          I replaced the bulb seal on mine that had the same issue. With patience, repairing the damaged area on the existing seal may be possible (superglue it back together? OFF the camper!), but for me it wasn't worth the time and hassle. For me, scraping off the old "cap" sealant and reapplying is too time consuming to chance on a repair that may not hold.

Note to readers--GD has changed the seals on newer units. On these newer models the bulb and wiper are one component, attaching to the camper from the exterior (and interior). The text above applies to older GD units where the wiper and bulb seal are separate. On these older units the wipers are on one "H" seal, and the bulb seals slide onto a track.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

So is the bead of silicone along the top edge of the seal supposed to hold it in place? And if so, would Proflex RV work as well? An RV supply place near me suggested using rubber glue to hold it in place. That seems a bit too permanent to me.

Bob
            2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

You could try E-6000. E-6000 is a bit more like a silicone glue and has a bit of stretch to keep it from loosing bond with flex.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

So is the bead of silicone along the top edge of the seal supposed to hold it in place? And if so, would Proflex RV work as well? An RV supply place near me suggested using rubber glue to hold it in place. That seems a bit too permanent to me.

Bob
                I hate RV Proflex. That stuff is a nightmare to try and make a presentable bead edge. I used the Tremco sealant Beachcamper recently recommended (see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...mended-sealant ). It was expensive, but was easy to work into a smooth bead.

I don't think the primary purpose is to hold the bulb seal in place -- that's the job of the two screws (on at each end) through the bulb seal into the camper's wall. The cap seal on the top of the bulb seal (where it joins the camper wall) is a secondary precaution against water intrusion, but obviously it also does somewhat hold the seal in place, too.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                X