Bent Slide Out Mechanism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Slide Out Mechanism?

We were setting up and extending the driver side slide and suddenly heard a screeching noise. We closed the slide and reopened it and noticed it is not parallel at bottom.

We are still able to open / close the slide but I have attached pictures to show where the rear end of the slide drops down into the indentation so that the transition to the main floor is gradual whereas the front end of the slide does not. The slide seems racked (out further on one side than the other).

I tried opening / closing it several times 6-8 inches holding the slide button for 5 seconds once fully closed or open to see if it realigns both ends of the slide and/or syncs the motors but it does not change. Any ideas on how I can fix it or does it require a dealer repair.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Todd
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tmakie; 04-24-2023, 05:08 AM.
    2023 Reflection 280RS, GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel

There is no need to hold the button on that type of slide. That is a thru frame slide and not a Schwintec slide. If you look under that slide out there will be 2 bars that attach to the outer bottom of the slide, check to see that these are secure. There also is 1 actuator that will be closer to one end, this is a round tube, check this to see if it is clean and also securely attached to the slide box. Next along the frame is another tube that connects the 2 outer bars, this will have gears at both ends that run the 2 outer bars in and out, check these to make sure they are operating properly. Post some pictures of these items and maybe we can see something. It may just be a loose mount or out of time on the gears. Again you do not have to hold the button when extending or retracting, once you hear the clutch clicking let off the button.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian for your reply. I was looking at this youtube last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59GIyDa0bA and it appears this could be the problem. When I measure the two bars that drive out the bottom of the slide one is 42 1/2" and the other is 43 3/4" from the same points on each bar.

According to the youtube, they should be within 1/4" of each other so that they are parallel. Let me know if you agree with this conclusion.

Todd

Comment

Lippert has several good videos on operation of the through frame slide mechanisms
        After we had ours around a year I went to adjust the door side slide because it was out of alignment and noticed the jack screw on the rear arm was completely gone. For some crazy reason I had a suitable replacement in my fastener bins.
        Last edited by familytruckster4; 04-24-2023, 04:25 PM.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by tmakie View Post
          Thanks Brian for your reply. I was looking at this youtube last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59GIyDa0bA and it appears this could be the problem. When I measure the two bars that drive out the bottom of the slide one is 42 1/2" and the other is 43 3/4" from the same points on each bar.

According to the youtube, they should be within 1/4" of each other so that they are parallel. Let me know if you agree with this conclusion.

Todd
          That may be the problem but you will need to inspect those areas to confirm.

Also as mentioned above check out the videos from Lippert, sometimes better than a youtube video.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here is a follow ip on my activity today. I realigned the slider bars to the exact same length and it seemed to operate perfect for 2 times. On the third time it returned to be 1 1/2” different in length. Something is causing the alignment to not be retained.

Could a worn out motor cause this? When i extend and retract i hear some crunching but i am guessing that is the bars not being parallel.

any ideas why the alignment is not being retained?

Comment

An attachment point may not be tight and is slipping. The cross bar drive should keep the gear racks in time as long as its gears don't slip. This should not be a motor problem. Is the slide centered in the opening and not binding on one side causing the whole slide and mechanism to skew?
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Another check to make would be to determine that the slide room box is securely attached to the slide mechanism frame at the room bar. Thinking that the slide mechanism is working correctly but the room box slides, twists relative to the slide mechanism.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Appreciate the ideas. Looks like I would have to remove a bunch of stuff to access the slide room box but that is a possibility. Since I am within 1-year warranty, I have scheduled an appointment to have them look at it as I have exhausted my abilities.

Thanks for the input. I will report back what they find.

Todd

Comment

Spoke to a repair tech today and based on what I described they believe it could be one or more gear teeth skipped during use and caused the out of alignment. Not certain how that could happen with the bar that runs across and synchronizes the two gear assemblies but one I visit them on Monday I should have a better idea what is going on. The fun of owning an RV!!!

Comment

A gear skipping would have been my last guess. It would certainly de-synchronize the sides.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Here is the latest, yes it has been 5 weeks and still not resolved. The dealer worked with Lippert to attempt to solve the problem and claimed they made some adjustment and resolved it. When I showed up this past Sunday to make sure it had been corrected, it was still 2+ inches askew. The rails under the slide were 42" on one side and 44" on the other side. Inside, the floor was nested in the slide out area as they should be and was sticking out 2" on the other side. The seal on one side of the slide was 2"+ away from the wall and the other side was tight against the wall. Pretty said state when Lippert and the dealer both believe this is quality work. They did resolve the clunking noise when moving the slide in and out but not livable at this point.

I have now been waiting for the past 4 days for the dealer and Grand Design to assess next steps. We are full-time so this has been expensive as we use alternative accommodations (hotels, etc) I realize 2020, 2021 and 2022 were big years for RV sales and service areas are slammed but this is unacceptable! Grand Design claims they are waiting for a warranty reply from the dealer and the dealer claims they have submitted the warranty claim.

At this point, I might attempt to get my money back as I am within the one-year warranty period and Grand Design has neither provided a quality product or a dealership network that has capacity to correct their manufacturing / assembly problems. Neither the dealer or Lippert have been able to correct the problem in weeks and I am still without an RV and based on progress so far, I would expect at least another 2-5 weeks for them to try and sort it out and eventually attempt to repair again.

I have attached a few pics of the crooked / askew slide from both outside and inside if someone has seen this before and resolved the problem. I will forward any ideas to the dealer, Lippert and Grand Design.

Todd
                        Attached Files

Comment

tmakie

I'm surprised they are having so much trouble -- these slide mechanisms are fairly straight forward.

Since it's a Reflection my assumption is the slide is an electrical thru-frame. On the camp side of the trailer the front arm is the one closest to the front of the rig. On the street side typically it's the rear-most arm. This Drive Side arm has the actuator with the motor (see diagram below). As the motor-driven actuator extends (or retracts) the cross shaft turns moving the outer arm (Idler Side). These components are mechanically interlocked--the way they can get out of timing (to my knowledge) is if gears are stripped or the stop can is misadjusted. (The stop can does just what it's name implies.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	426
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	113044

If you'd like to do a deep dive into how the slide works, Lippert has an online course. It's for "technicians", but you can sign up and take it. Below is a screen shot.

Views:	283
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	113045

The sign up page is https://lippert.learnupon.com/users/sign_in

Views:	286
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	113046
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

ccd_0001614.pdf
                            See this Lippert document. It describes horizontal adjustment of the slide and mechanism to get both sides to touch at the same time, eliminating the 'twist'.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                            X