Using slide-outs when unlevel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using slide-outs when unlevel

Hi. My front driveway has a fairly decent slope on it and I can't get the TT level front to back using the tongue jack. I'd say it's maybe about 3-4% at the most out of level. Is it ok to run my slides out when it's like this? It's level side to side.

My previous trailer had one shallow slide and I was never concerned and it was never an issue. My new trailer (2023 2970RL) has one large slide opposite a smaller one. I've read a few issues regarding the issues with the Schwinteks and I don't want to cause anymore issues than I already may eventually have. This would be mainly for loading and unloading it and would not be a fulltime thing as it will be level when camping. We'll keep the slides in most times in the driveway.

I'm leaning towards it being ok but I want to make sure.

Thanks.​

Edit: The way my driveway interacts with the curb of the sidewalk and because of the slope of the driveway, I need to take off the WDH when backing it in or my rear stabilizers hit the ground as I back in. This puts me quite low on the tongue and I already put as much wood or levelers under the tongue jack as possible but it's still not enough.
    Last edited by pappcam; 05-09-2023, 04:27 PM.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 SRW 7.3 Crew Cab

Side load on a slide is never a good thing. Being level fore/aft is an important requirement. You may need to lift the front of the trailer in two steps. Perhaps lift the front with a floor jack until you can place sufficient blocking under the tongue jack to get to level. Be sure to securely chock the trailer tires. ( just my opinion . . . )

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Side load on a slide is never a good thing. Being level fore/aft is an important requirement. You may need to lift the front of the trailer in two steps. Perhaps lift the front with a floor jack until you can place sufficient blocking under the tongue jack to get to level. Be sure to securely chock the trailer tires. ( just my opinion . . . )

Rob
      I have thought of using a couple of axle stands temporarily on the tongue and putting more wood under the tongue jack to get it level. Maybe my new trailer rides higher and I don't have to disconnect my WDH and this won't be an issue. I was just curious as to how level I should be to run the slides out.
      2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
      2023 F-350 SRW 7.3 Crew Cab

Comment

The kitchen slide is where you’ll possibly have an issue since it’s the Schwintek slide and bears the most weight. I won’t use mine if I’m more than 2” out of level (side to side worries me more than the front to back), but then I’m paranoid since my 2970RL was out of service for 7 months of the first year I owned it due to the slide being out of square on the kitchen side and the dealer and Grand Design not communicating well. Have you tried blocking underneath all the way up to the front jack with it up as high as it can go when hitched and then raising it?
        Eddie & Kathy
        2021 Imagine 2970RL
        2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
        Houston, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Ebkent62 View Post
          but then I’m paranoid since my 2970RL was out of service for 7 months of the first year I owned it due to the slide being out of square on the kitchen side and the dealer and Grand Design not communicating well.

Wow...7 months...I've never left a trailer at a dealer more than a few days....like...in between weekend camping trips..

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Working...
          X