Slide-out seal coming loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide-out seal coming loose

I have a 2022 337RLS and the seal across the top of the curb side slide out has pulled loose in the middle. What is best for attaching that seal to the opening in the wall? All I can see is two little narrow crown staples that pulled loose. The seal is loose out in the middle. About a 2-3 foot section.
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    2022 Ford F-350 Super Crew SRW Diesel 4 x 4

Good morning. Is this the wiper seal or the D-seal? If you can post a photo, it would be helpful for us to help with the diagnosis and repair.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim and Jeff&Angie

The answer should be "both" to the question regarding "wiper or D seal?" since it's a 2022 GDRV. GD switched up the seals where they are one component incorporating both seals. These new seals attach to the outside of a wall (or inside depending on the perspective). This is a much better design than the "H" configuration on the older models IMHO as it does not require hyper-extending the slide-out to replace the seals.

Is there any sign of butyl tape between the wall and seal?

If there is then new butyl will be required (not hard but can be time consuming). If there's no butyl all that's required is reattaching the seal to the wall and then caulk with a new top seal. (The latter is a secondary containment method, not a primary.)

The exact size and type of staple is unknown (to me) and may require a call to GDRV to get the specific answer. If you do call, please update this thread with what they tell you (so we can all learn). GD may also provide an alternative to the staple.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

A little more info here. We are full time and I noticed it while coming down the stairs after a restroom break on a travel day. It is on the inside. The slide has to be retracted to access it. Probably have to stand on the kitchen island to get to it. I do have slide toppers to help deflect any weather elements. I'll try to get a picture at our next location
        2022 Reflection 337RLS
        2022 Ford F-350 Super Crew SRW Diesel 4 x 4

Comment

Hi Jeff&Angie,

This is not an uncommon problem. The factory uses either just a few screws or double sided tape to hold this seal in place. Bring the slide in about 12" and stand on a chair or step stool to reach over the inside flange trim. If this seal is a rubber bulb clipped to a hard plastic piece underneath, you can pull off the centre section of the bulb and use some more screws to refasten the plastic strip. If this is a different configuration, take some pictures and post here . . . likely someone has already dealt with this. (I have refastened my seal as described)

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Hi Jeff&Angie,

This is not an uncommon problem. The factory uses either just a few screws or double sided tape to hold this seal in place. Bring the slide in about 12" and stand on a chair or step stool to reach over the inside flange trim. If this seal is a rubber bulb clipped to a hard plastic piece underneath, you can pull off the centre section of the bulb and use some more screws to refasten the plastic strip. If this is a different configuration, take some pictures and post here . . . likely someone has already dealt with this. (I have refastened my seal as described)

Rob
            I just followed this same procedure on my 303RLS to fix the same seal over the slide about two weeks ago. I removed the factory staples and used 3/4"sheet metal screws under the bulb. Worked awesome.
            40-year Camping Enthusiast
            2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Working...
            X