Slide out-Access hole for critters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out-Access hole for critters

On our 2670MK, there is an access from the outside to the inside-a small hole-through which critters, bugs, etc can get into the inside when the slide out is retracted. Are there any known permanent solutions to this issue?

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
    On our 2670MK, there is an access from the outside to the inside-a small hole-through which critters, bugs, etc can get into the inside when the slide out is retracted. Are there any known permanent solutions to this issue?
    Chiefblueman , if memory serves me correctly, came up with something for his 315RLTS. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I took the attached photos of the areas where there is direct access thru the floor. These two areas-one on each end of the slideout-are drilled holes to allow an electrical cable to come into the slide out and then run up to the top of the slide out to the servo motors driving the slide out. My question-does the cable move thru the hole as the slide out is extended/retracted OR is it stationary? If it is stationary i can fill the hole-about the size of my thumb-with silicon filler and close the holes. So can someone tell me if the cable moves thru the hole or is it stationary?

Comment

Hi Jerry,

I wonder if you are missing some close-out pieces? Our Schwintek slide has "drain cups" that collect rain water that migrates down the drive mechanism, and direct this water t othe outside. These pieces also close out the opening at the bottom of the bulb seal. What vintage is your unit? I know that LCI has recently changed the rail profile to control rainwater in a different way. Maybe the drain cups are no longer necessary, but there should be some trim piece to close out that opening.

GDRV-Megan Hi Megan, could you check into this? Thanks

Edit: Whoops . . . originally attached the wrong picture.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	15771
        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-31-2020, 03:59 PM.
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Gerry

Those holes are down thru the floor for the wire that powers the slide motors. These wires should not move during slide operation , have some one operate the slide and watch to make sure. There should be no issue with filling these holes.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
            I took the attached photos of the areas where there is direct access thru the floor. These two areas-one on each end of the slideout-are drilled holes to allow an electrical cable to come into the slide out and then run up to the top of the slide out to the servo motors driving the slide out. My question-does the cable move thru the hole as the slide out is extended/retracted OR is it stationary? If it is stationary i can fill the hole-about the size of my thumb-with silicon filler and close the holes. So can someone tell me if the cable moves thru the hole or is it stationary?
            We recommend reaching out to customer service to have this taken care of under warranty. The hole is excessive. Please give us a call at 574-825-9679 or email us at customerservice@granddesignrv.com. thanks!

Comment

Megan, thanks for your reply. I agree, this should not have occurred at the factory. BUT i have taken care of this. I have 1/4" thick hard rubber mats-I cut 2 squares 1-1/2" and drilled a hole to go around the cable. Then i sliced a slit so i could open them and place then around the cable and used Gorilla Glue to hold them in place. The space is completely covered yet the cable has room to slide thru is necessary. No varmits can get thru nor any weather. If i have further issue i will contact the dealer or customer service at grand design.

Comment

I just picked up my new Imagine XLS 22MLE. Mine also has holes (approximately the size of a quarter) on both sides of the floor when the slide is closed. I can put my finger through the holes so It is big enough for critters to enter. I contacted Grand Design customer service and was told that these holes were for drainage when the slide is retracted. I was told to not to plug the holes. Has anyone else heard these holes were for drainage and not to plug them? I don't want critter damage nor water damage. I would think if Grand Design manufactured the trailer this way they would have a critter solution. Has anyone had Grand Design address the situation?

Comment

Working...
                X